What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU Head Coach Search Thread - Primetime

Woulda been on the fence about Patterson but read a comment from a Frog player maybe last week about how much more disciplined tcu was under Dykes. Yikes.

I could see GP mailing it in at first adversity. And there will be some.

Seems like a guy content with what he's already done, maybe.

Don't think we have a margin for error here.

That said, i could get excited for a GP hire if it happened. Personally, prefer Mendenhall or maybe even Fritz of the older candidates thus far listed. Like the idea of Kent St coach.

eb is not coming back here. he will get an NFL head coaching job and it will generate generational wealth for him. you think he doesn't know CU is a **** show? he was also fired as oc after 2 years back here and knows the limitations.

what needs to be done is everyone continue to pressure president saliman. send notes, call, etc. we need to fix the institutional issues or no one will have a good chance to win here.

then, get a proven college hc with a system and a plan. give him the time and resources he needs and we will get back to a base line of not being the worst p5 program. then, that coach should be able to get us to bowling every year and some level of respectability. then, evaluate if said coach can make the next jump or if we feel the foundation is built, hire a hc to take us back to the glory land.

that is the process.

start with pressure on president saliman. don't bother with phil. go over his dithering head.

What’s Justin Fuente up to these days. I liked his teams at Memphis. FHCMM with a higher floor and better AC connections.

Help me out with Justin Wilcox. When Mel left, his name came up and we would have fallen all over ourselves to get him, but since then he’s turned in 2 losing seasons (one was the COVID year), and he’s a pretty uninspiring 3-2 this year. I know Cal is a really tough place to succeed but so is CU - what’s the appeal other than better than what we have now?

Also he just signed a new 6 year deal earlier this year and his buyout would be around $4M.

D A V E
L O G A N

Say it with me!

D A V E
L O G A N

Louder for those in the back!

D A V E
L O G A N
shut the fuck up GIF

When it comes to CFB, both are equally bad, but I would guess the EB suggestion came from 1043. Although, I have to think Lombardi is going to be all aboard the EB train as well.
Yep. I like listening to Lombardi Moser and Kane on spotify after it is finished. If they were offering up EB as the best and only option I was going to skip it. Some of their takes are still a bit off base, but still a good listen.

Houston
Navy
USF
Michigan State

edit update: Barry Odom

P5 (or soon to be P5) Jobs that will be open IMO:
  • ASU
  • CU
  • Furd
  • Kansas
  • Cincinatti
  • Wisconsin
  • nubs
  • Auburn
  • Louisville
Jobs that may be open:
  • UT
  • WVU
  • Northwestern
  • UNC
In detail:

From @Creebuzz list, I don't understand why he has UCLA listed unless the implication is that Chip leaves for a bigger(?) job. It seems like he's finally got things rolling. I really think ASU, CU, and Furd will be the only P12 teams hiring.

By that logic, though, Kansas will likely be hiring. Leipold will have his pick this offseason IMO. It would be a surprise, but not a shock, for both UT and WVU to come open. For future B12 teams, Cincy could easily be hiring. Houston's only open if Holgo wants to leave.

In the B1G, Wisconsin and nubs are open. It's hard for me to see anyone else moving on outside of maybe Northwestern. MSU is not paying Tucker's buyout after two years.

Auburn will be open. I'm surprised they haven't found a way to fire Harsin yet. A&M is not ponying up $95M to fire Jimbo. Everyone else seems (weirdly) ok with their coach? Maybe Drinkwitz at Mizzou?

In the ACC, Satterfield will be gone at the end of the season or earlier. Clawson from Wake might get a shot at a bigger program, and same with Doeren at NCSU. It wouldn't shock me if Mack Brown called it quits. He seems tired. Everyone else seems like they just hired somebody or like who they have.

The bottom line:

There was LOTS of P5 turnover last year. 13 P5 teams (plus ND) hired new HCs by my count. I don't think there will be nearly as much this year. It's a good year to be hiring for that reason.

Help me out with Justin Wilcox. When Mel left, his name came up and we would have fallen all over ourselves to get him, but since then he’s turned in 2 losing seasons (one was the COVID year), and he’s a pretty uninspiring 3-2 this year. I know Cal is a really tough place to succeed but so is CU - what’s the appeal other than better than what we have now?

Also he just signed a new 6 year deal earlier this year and his buyout would be around $4M.
Probably more of a name appeal than anything, but a really, really good defensive coach and a solid recruiter who knows the Western footprint. He feels like a guy who is a great OC away from having a consistent winning program.

Yep. I like listening to Lombardi Moser and Kane on spotify after it is finished. If they were offering up EB as the best and only option I was going to skip it. Some of their takes are still a bit off base, but still a good listen.
I don't blame Denver media for their lack of nuanced CFB thought and discussion. It just doesn't drive ratings here, so it doesn't pay for them to know a lot. Guarantee if you throw out suggestions to them like Tom Herman, Bronco Mendenhall, Jeff Grimes, Justin Wilcox, Kalani Sitake, etc they would all have to look up who each of those guys are and what they are currently doing. But they all know where EB is and his connection with CU.

What’s Justin Fuente up to these days. I liked his teams at Memphis. FHCMM with a higher floor and better AC connections.
unemployed.

I think I'd be OK with this. his first two years at Tech, he did more with Beamer's players than Beamer did.

It would be all about if he could demonstrate "I've learned from mistakes made at Virginia Tech" during the interviews.

Probably more of a name appeal than anything, but a really, really good defensive coach and a solid recruiter who knows the Western footprint. He feels like a guy who is a great OC away from having a consistent winning program.
Is he a solid recruiter? He might be a great OC away but he’s in year 6, is he bad at identifying OC’s or does he not have the connections?

Ceal Barry owns a house in Boulder and is a CU coaching legend.

Not suggesting she become our football coach but should be consulted as part of any search committee? I know she’s retired but she’s a true Buff and May have some good insight?

Back