What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU Head Coach Search Thread - Primetime

Help me out with Justin Wilcox. When Mel left, his name came up and we would have fallen all over ourselves to get him, but since then he’s turned in 2 losing seasons (one was the COVID year), and he’s a pretty uninspiring 3-2 this year. I know Cal is a really tough place to succeed but so is CU - what’s the appeal other than better than what we have now?

Also he just signed a new 6 year deal earlier this year and his buyout would be around $4M.
I don't think that move works unless you're willing to spend on a stud OC.

Why the **** would we want Ceal Berry helping make decisions for the future of the football program?

The University of Colorado has a very short list of former coaches and players in any sport, who were successful enough and are currently qualified enough to be part of big decisions for CUAD going forward. I wouldn't even want Barnett involved in a search committee for a new coach, let alone Ceal ****ing Berry. Can we stop with that nonsense?

Gary Patterson would be a disaster. I know people in FW and am not going to go into specifics, but his time at TCU, while successful, shall we say, had issues.
Why aren't you going to go into specifics? This is an anonymous message board and you don't need to cite your people's names.

You're not understanding my post at all. The point is they have t struggled in recent years and just need to accept what they are. They are not a top program. They will not become a top program. They should be happy with 8 wins. Exceedingly happy. They're struggled are due to the fact that the bottom of the B1G sucks way less than it did during their best years. They were a bottom feeder prior to Alvarez coming there. The last 25 years is not what they are.

****, Wisconsin is paying Chryst $19 million, and they're probably just going to promote Leonhard, who will just maintain the "Wisconsin way", and they'll continue to run a woefully uninspiring offense.
Wisconsin has won 10+ games 13 times over the last 29 seasons and has averaged 9 wins/year over that time frame. Suggesting that the last 25 (29) years of a program's history "is not what they are" is maybe the most absurdly hilarious comment I've heard in some time. It's like saying the last 20 years of CU football is an outlier and not what this program is and they are really a national title contender because they had a short blip of success in the 80s and early 90s...

They went 8-4 last year, but they weren't competitive with Notre Dame and Michigan and lost to Minnesota at the end of the year, which kept them out of the B1G CG. On top of that, they had a very underwhelming COVID season the year before and are now 2-3, with losses to Washington State, a blowout to Ohio State and got smoked by Illinois. Chryst was brought in to maintain the offensive style that has made Wisconsin what they are, but add the QB element to it, and he has failed at doing that.

Wisconsin isn't an Ohio State, Alabama, Georgia, Clemson type of program and they never will be, but they are firmly in the second tier, have a fairly rabid fanbase and some big boosters who expect them to be in Indianapolis most years playing Ohio State or Michigan for the B1G title.

P5 (or soon to be P5) Jobs that will be open IMO:
  • ASU
  • CU
  • Furd
  • Kansas
  • Cincinatti
  • Wisconsin
  • nubs
  • Auburn
  • Louisville
Jobs that may be open:
  • UT
  • WVU
  • Northwestern
  • UNC
In detail:

From @Creebuzz list, I don't understand why he has UCLA listed unless the implication is that Chip leaves for a bigger(?) job. It seems like he's finally got things rolling. I really think ASU, CU, and Furd will be the only P12 teams hiring.

By that logic, though, Kansas will likely be hiring. Leipold will have his pick this offseason IMO. It would be a surprise, but not a shock, for both UT and WVU to come open. For future B12 teams, Cincy could easily be hiring. Houston's only open if Holgo wants to leave.

In the B1G, Wisconsin and nubs are open. It's hard for me to see anyone else moving on outside of maybe Northwestern. MSU is not paying Tucker's buyout after two years.

Auburn will be open. I'm surprised they haven't found a way to fire Harsin yet. A&M is not ponying up $95M to fire Jimbo. Everyone else seems (weirdly) ok with their coach? Maybe Drinkwitz at Mizzou?

In the ACC, Satterfield will be gone at the end of the season or earlier. Clawson from Wake might get a shot at a bigger program, and same with Doeren at NCSU. It wouldn't shock me if Mack Brown called it quits. He seems tired. Everyone else seems like they just hired somebody or like who they have.

The bottom line:

There was LOTS of P5 turnover last year. 13 P5 teams (plus ND) hired new HCs by my count. I don't think there will be nearly as much this year. It's a good year to be hiring for that reason.
I had only included Chip at UCLA because he was within a whisker of being fired at one time. Upon further reflection, I agree that he is safe with a 5-0 start to this season.

P5 (or soon to be P5) Jobs that will be open IMO:

• Kansas
Admittedly, I am far away from Lawrence, however, I do know that Leipold has been passed over several times for a FBS job until Buffalo came around. He was on staff of Wisconsin and Nebraska. He has never stayed anywhere for only 1or 2 years after he was a GA at Wisconsin. My gut tells me that he is not leaving Kansas so soon after completely turning them around. There are some coaches who have loyalty to a school and feel that leaving after 2 years is not the right thing to do. If he wants to leave Kansas, it will be in a few years. I don't see him as the type to cash in immediately.

With that said, I do not blame Mel Tucker for leaving CU when he was offered $9 million. I don't think Mel would have left if he was only offered $3 million. Due to the huge increase that the Big 10 and SEC can pay, and the fact that minority coaches have been historically undervalued and appreciated, Mel had NO CHOICE but to take the Michigan State offer.

NCAA doesn't have a requirement for freshman. You have to have 6 credits per term to be eligible for the next term. The PTD requirements though do kick in the 2nd year. See https://www.ncaa.org/sports/2021/2/10/student-athletes-current-staying-track-graduate.aspx

CU's biggest issue is that they tend to refuse to accept credits earned at other institutions, except when required by the state (aka juco credits from in state schools are required in most cases to be accepted). This has been a long standing issue, going back 20+ years. I personally know a person that was sent packing from the USAFA as a junior and tried to get into CU engineering, but the admissions department wouldn't accept many of his classes because the curriculum wasn't exactly identical or they deemed there wasn't an "equivalent" course. But his home state school, the tiny University of Michigan, had no problem transferring almost all of his credits.

So it affects normal students as well.
This is very true, I can attest from my own undergrad transfer to cu.

I transferred as a junior, and a number of courses wouldn't transfer, or wouldn't transfer at full credit.

"that class is 3 credit hours at CU, it doesn't matter if it covered more and they gave you 4 credit hours there, you only get 3 here."

I had several labs that were 2 that became 1, and some classes that went from 5 & 4 credit hours to 3. And some that didn't transfer at all. And this was coming from an engineering school that was more highly ranked than CU (even back then, when CU's rankings were higher).

Some have posited that it's a money thing (requiring more tuition payments to "make up" the classes), but my sense at the time, and now, is that it's an elitist attitude that there's no way another school could offer as good of courses as we do.

It's bull****, and flows from the top.

CU is not in a place to be THAT picky. Goodness.

Give me a proven coach, with a history of building a program up from scraps. Preferably one that has done it with institutional limitations.

No first time HC, no former Buff.
The "no former Buff" is a dumb restriction. What if Nick Saban was a CU graduate? or held a CU honorary degree of some sort? There are plenty of CU graduates that are excellent coaches. It doesnt mean that we should hire them, but it doesnt mean that we should cross them off the list.

I transferred as a junior, and a number of courses wouldn't transfer, or wouldn't transfer at full credit.

"that class is 3 credit hours at CU, it doesn't matter if it covered more and they gave you 4 credit hours there, you only get 3 here."

I had several labs that were 2 that became 1, and some classes that went from 5 & 4 credit hours to 3. And some that didn't transfer at all. And this was coming from an engineering school that was more highly ranked than CU (even back then, when CU's rankings were higher).

Some have posited that it's a money thing (requiring more tuition payments to "make up" the classes), but my sense at the time, and now, is that it's an elitist attitude that there's no way another school could offer as good of courses as we do.

and you still came to CU.... presumably to study AND ski :p

(not necessarily in that order?)

Yep! if it wasn't for my IB diploma from HS, I would have been 1 year behind when I transferred back middle of my sophomore year.

ESPN+ has an article by a B1G guy with some names not already mentioned here:

• USC DC Alex Grinch
  • Okie Lite OC Kasey Dunn
  • SJSU HC Brent Brennan
  • USC DB coach Donte Williams
  • Tulane HC Willie Fritz
  • NDSU coach Matt Entz
  • BYU OC Aaron Roderick
Plus the other names we've heard ad nauseum (Calhoun, EB, Walters, Harsin). The thing they messed up on this last hire is if you have an HC that is basically a coordinator, you better hire a rockstar. This is likely what they'll do since CU doesn't have enough money to go with the "CEO" type of HC. Out of those names, Grinch intrigues me. He's led some really good defenses, has extensive experience with how to recruit to the P5 level, and has some connections to some interesting coaching trees (Riley, Leach, Pinkel, Urban Meyer).

Donte Williams also might be an interesting choice if they're going to go after someone who is a great recruiter, but what if Grinch at HC and Williams as DC?

The "no former Buff" is a dumb restriction. What if Nick Saban was a CU graduate? or held a CU honorary degree of some sort? There are plenty of CU graduates that are excellent coaches. It doesnt mean that we should hire them, but it doesnt mean that we should cross them off the list.
The only person who is being talked about with CU ties is Ryan Walters, he would be a first time HC. I am sure Ryan is going to be a solid HC someday. I don't want him learning how to be a HC here. Anyone else would be a hire BECAUSE of their CU ties. Don't want it.

a couple of updates

wisco shopping list of potential coaches

you are definitely cross posting under this coaching thread. That article should be in the Conference Realignment Thread because it gives a great current update on the state of the Pac-12.

you are definitely cross posting under this coaching thread. That article should be in the Conference Realignment Thread because it gives a great current update on the state of the Pac-12.
We have missed this kind of level-headed thread monitoring, welcome back.

Ceal Barry was instrumental in killin the C-Unit with her crusade for equality in student support... Wouldn't trust her anywhere near the football program.

i must apologize to my fellow fans here for my Ceal Barry post. thank you for not banning me.

She will always be a legend in WBB but the C-unit was the best thing Bohn did and something that should be supported 100%.

for that reason, in regards to recommending her as part of the search committee……

Shark Tank Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

Why the **** would we want Ceal Berry helping make decisions for the future of the football program?

The University of Colorado has a very short list of former coaches and players in any sport, who were successful enough and are currently qualified enough to be part of big decisions for CUAD going forward. I wouldn't even want Barnett involved in a search committee for a new coach, let alone Ceal ****ing Berry. Can we stop with that nonsense?
Nonsense stopped. But I still think Tad Boyle should play a part.

Nonsense stopped. But I still think Tad Boyle should play a part.
I think Tad is one on the short list that would be qualified to be part of the search. I wouldn't mind having him sit in on interviews and providing feedback based on his impressions of what's important to said candidate, the candidate's plan to achieve success, his ability, desire and perspective on recruiting, etc.

Tad Boyle is the only guy at that entire place who knows how to build a program and achieve a level of success that can be sustained. It’s nothing short of miraculous that he’s even still here. Hell yes he should be part of the hiring team. In fact, remove Phil and RG from the team and just let Tad run the whole thing.

Tad Boyle is the only guy at that entire place who knows how to build a program and achieve a level of success that can be sustained. It’s nothing short of miraculous that he’s even still here. Hell yes he should be part of the hiring team. In fact, remove Phil and RG from the team and just let Tad run the whole thing.
Best post of the day. Or week. Or month…… or this past 15 years of football misery.

Admittedly, I am far away from Lawrence, however, I do know that Leipold has been passed over several times for a FBS job until Buffalo came around. He was on staff of Wisconsin and Nebraska. He has never stayed anywhere for only 1or 2 years after he was a GA at Wisconsin. My gut tells me that he is not leaving Kansas so soon after completely turning them around. There are some coaches who have loyalty to a school and feel that leaving after 2 years is not the right thing to do. If he wants to leave Kansas, it will be in a few years. I don't see him as the type to cash in immediately.

With that said, I do not blame Mel Tucker for leaving CU when he was offered $9 million. I don't think Mel would have left if he was only offered $3 million. Due to the huge increase that the Big 10 and SEC can pay, and the fact that minority coaches have been historically undervalued and appreciated, Mel had NO CHOICE but to take the Michigan State offer.
I am in the same boat, I just know that he's a very hot candidate right now with ties to two deep(ish) pocket programs with HC vacancies.

His contract at KU runs through 2027 and is $16.8M total (roughly $2.8M AAV). 5 years ago, Nebraska paid Frost $5M/yr AAV on a 7 year contract. Paul Chryst got a raise to $5.25M before last season. Since then, the B1G signed that enormous rights deal. It's not out of the question to think they could offer Leipold 5 years at $7M per year and more than double his salary. That would be pretty hard to say no to.

It is beginning to sound like a requirement for a coach will be the ability to deal with geriatric leadership who believes the world still functions the way it did 30 years ago.

There seems to be no doubt that Rick George is running this search or that there's any heat on him and PDS seems to be involved as well ....

Back