What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU vs. Baylor Game Thread

Stoyanovich has to become our kickoff and long FG guy. Supposedly booming from around 60 in practice and his dad had a big leg in the NFL. Crossing my fingers because we can't be pooching kickoffs and gifting field position at the 35 or 40 after we score.

Also - on the subject of kicking - last night was maybe the best I've seen Mata kick. Despite a wet field and less sure footing, every kick quickly got good height and was straight as an arrow. Encouraging. Especially when it looked like he was in a bad head space last week.

Lots of love here, not sure what it all means, but the LB's are grading third against the run. :oops:

Edit: No Cam on the top 5 grades is strange.

I love PFF but they didn't love Jessie Bates game against Philly and everyone else did and he won NFL DPOW.

1000015468.png

Happy Antonio Banderas GIF

And he had the huge 27 yarder on 3rd and 12 called back on the Seaton hold.
I hated that holding call, fwiw. I don't know how it's holding if you don't grab or wrap a guy. All he did was push a guy to the ground.

On that note, I didn't feel like we got anything close to home cooking last night. I can't comment on how reviews should have gone and if they got those right (people who watched on tv would know better), but it seemed like penalties were unbalanced and the thing I thought was egregious was Baylor getting friendly spots while our Buffs were constantly being marked short of forward progress when coming back for a catch or getting driven back at the end of a run.

I hated that holding call, fwiw. I don't know how it's holding if you don't grab or wrap a guy. All he did was push a guy to the ground.

On that note, I didn't feel like we got anything close to home cooking last night. I can't comment on how reviews should have gone and if they got those right (people who watched on tv would know better), but it seemed like penalties were unbalanced and the thing I thought was egregious was Baylor getting friendly spots while our Buffs were constantly being marked short of forward progress when coming back for a catch or getting driven back at the end of a run.
The missing of the first down spot on our final drive was egregious and obvious..cost is 10 seconds and a TO.

The spot late in regulation was a good yard and half off and should have been marked an easy first down.

I think they got all of the reviews right. The big miss on the spot was the first down catch on the final drive that they marked short, keeping the clock running. That almost cost us the game.

Every defense is the best we’ll face when they can rush 4 and drop 7 every play.
Most teams don't have the front 4 to do it or the back 7 that can cover our WRs. Baylor has both. UCF might be the 4th best pass rush we will play in the last 2 years. Behind UCLA, Oregon, and Oregon state. They might be the worst secondary we have played in the last two years. Maybe NDSU is worse but only from a talent stance. Their DBs have better technique

This was the best defense we are going to play all year unless we make the playoffs. Then that's a different story.
That maybe, but you can't disagree that our biggest weakness on offense is our line. And having a weakness there puts alot of pressure on the rest of our offense.

We are basically dead last in FBS with sacks allowed this year. 16. Yes, alot of those sacks are coverage sacks, but the coverage is so good against us because of our weak O line.

Maybe running the ball more will help a bit on coverage, and while I liked seeing more running this game, I still don't trust Shurmur's play calling. But I am a Giants fan....

And I dare anyone to find anything good with our special teams. We are going to lose games this year because of special teams. We almost lost last night because of them.

Ummm...

The nickel is the BASE defense in the no fun league.

The nfl plays nickel defense over 2/3 of all snaps.

Which would mean under your breakdown, he would be playing ~70% of *all* snaps.

I don't think that's sustainable over a 17 game season, plus pre and post season.

I don't know what percentage role is best, but for his long term longevity in the league I kind of think he'll need a snaps/game count - and, end of day, it's easier to sub and therefor limit snap counts on offense than on defense.
He’s so much better at corner than wide receiver(and he’s the best wide receiver in CFB) that in the NFL he would be your starting nickel and then play 20ish snaps at wr.

Shedeur played terribly at points of this game, but I've never seen more effort and fire from him.

His clock management is absolute ass though.

A lot of those sacks were on him, either from dropping tol far back (I understand why since he rarely has a pocket), or holding the ball too long (you should be getting throws off in 2.5 seconds), but he gets it done when it matters.

Have to fix special teams. Held Baylor to 300 yards of offense.

Have to figure out how to stop the QB run game.

That maybe, but you can't disagree that our biggest weakness on offense is our line. And having a weakness there puts alot of pressure on the rest of our offense.

We are basically dead last in FBS with sacks allowed this year. 16. Yes, alot of those sacks are coverage sacks, but the coverage is so good against us because of our weak O line.

Maybe running the ball more will help a bit on coverage, and while I liked seeing more running this game, I still don't trust Shurmur's play calling. But I am a Giants fan....

And I dare anyone to find anything good with our special teams. We are going to lose games this year because of special teams. We almost lost last night because of them.
If OLine is biggest weakness, dropping 10 steps and sitting in the pocket every play is not helping to cover up.

Ummm...

The nickel is the BASE defense in the no fun league.

The nfl plays nickel defense over 2/3 of all snaps.

Which would mean under your breakdown, he would be playing ~70% of *all* snaps.

I don't think that's sustainable over a 17 game season, plus pre and post season.

I don't know what percentage role is best, but for his long term longevity in the league I kind of think he'll need a snaps/game count - and, end of day, it's easier to sub and therefor limit snap counts on offense than on defense.
I think there's roughly 15 snaps less per game in the NFL. Median Nfl team last two years around 61-63 naps on offense, median FBS team around 68-69.

Travis is currently playing 95%+ of all the snaps.

Of course it's not one to one, but playing 70% of the defensive snaps and 70% on offense would be a reduced workload.

That said, I think you see a little of what he had in his first season at Jackson State. Focus on becoming dominant at CB, mix in ~5-15 snaps at WR depending on game situation and matchups. Once he earns the trust that he's 100% trusted on D, ramp up the offensive snap count.

This was the best defense we are going to play all year unless we make the playoffs. Then that's a different story.
Aa awesome as our win last night was, I am still going to rant a little bit about the actually game playing.

We keep hearing about how tough our opponents' defenses are, but let's be honest: we've faced some pretty good defenses in the past, but they are not that great. Does Nebraska's defense look awesome on Friday?

We made them look like all-stars. Our O-line is like a 5/10 right now. Any decent defense is gonna look like an 8-9/10 against us. Does it really matter if Baylor D is 9/10 and UCF D is 8.2/10? Oh ya UCF is not as good as Baylor, so what, them will still crush our O-line.

We need to focus on fixing our own problems before we worry about the other team.

We have talked about this for so many times here, we need to execute more of the quick option/short route. You might say "oh they did call it", but in the game last night, either we are not calling short routes, or our WRs are all covered, or Shedeur isn't seeing them, or Shedeure is refusing to throw them. One of them has to be the case. Which one is it?

And let's not forget about the running game. If we're facing a defense that's dropping seven, we should be able to run the ball effectively. Why aren't we doing more of that?

We can win 7-8 games if we make some adjustments and getting our offense back on track. Or we can try to match our 4 wins from last year with this sorry ass offense.

People keep on saying "CP/Shedure don't care about their stats, they want to win". Sounds great, show us.

To be fair, they are definitely running the ball more frequently and effectively. Kudos to the team. Now do more if it, please.

Back