What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU vs. Baylor Game Thread

We have 3 more PKs on the roster. I know nothing about any of them.

https://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/college-football/players/full/4875268.png
Jace Feely17PK6' 0"215 lbsJRGilbert, AZ

https://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/college-football/players/full/5221297.png
Daniel Gerlach38PK5' 8"150 lbsSOBoulder, CO

https://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/college-football/players/full/4917399.png
Alejandro Mata16PK5' 9"190 lbsJRBuford, GA

https://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/college-football/players/full/4875301.png
Cristiano Palazzo98PK5' 9"185 lbsJRLittleton, CO

https://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/college-football/players/full/5221292.png
Alexander Stoyanovich18PK5' 9"165 lbsFRSouth Lyon, MI

I wonder about that Palazzo guy . . .

iu

We really need to commit to the run, get Shedeur under center (or pistol) more, keep using 2 back sets (finally did last night), and go for quick passes in the middle of the field. So much of the pressure would be alleviated if our coaches would take the reins

Special teams and game management continue to be comically bad
I notice we have more success running out of the pistol and don't understand why we go away from it.

We really need to commit to the run, get Shedeur under center (or pistol) more, keep using 2 back sets (finally did last night), and go for quick passes in the middle of the field. So much of the pressure would be alleviated if our coaches would take the reins

Special teams and game management continue to be comically bad
I wish they would realize that while his numbers would go down some this is what the NFL wants to see, it would help us and SS in the draft, plus the NFL loves wins.

Just seen the replay as fell asleep (evening game sucks (Europe time), but obv great State-side)...and can't believe I fell asleep. What a game. Amazing. Lot of things to get worked out, but so many playmakers and the schedule gives me the hubris...if we win in Orlando, I think 8-1 start is a real possibility before the Utah game. Then it is all abt confidence and momentum vs the Utes machine at Folsom...we can do this. Let's keep this momentum. GO BUFFS

Mata was servicable against Baylor but special teams in general needs massive improvement. 173 yards in returns and a touchdown skewed an otherwise good performance by the defense. Kicking for the touchback needs to be the priority and someone needs to step up for kickoffs with Feely out.
I think our kickers had as many tackles last night as the other 10 combined. That's a problem.

I think our kickers had as many tackles last night as the other 10 combined. That's a problem.

The lack of second or third layer coverage lead directly to the touchdown. Bell has an open field from about the 31 and once a player gets running downhill it is very difficult to tackle them in time. Bad blocking and missed tackles were present in both explosive returns.

That was a special night. Folsom was electric. Wester's catch made the stadium explode in a way I haven't seen in years. And that was without all the unfaithful schmucks who missed the best Folsom ending in I don't know how long.

Positives - the defense is pretty legit. I say pretty legit because we gave up some big plays that could have been prevented with better tackling. Our WRs are simply outstanding. This team doesn't quit. Mata surprisingly didn't suck. There are glimpses of a running game. We have Travis Hunter.

Negatives - our offensive line cannot pass block for ****, and ****bailer didn't respect that we would commit to the run. Special teams are pretty 'special'. Does anyone play on the special teams who actually knows how to tackle. Shedeur seems a little off on his accuracy. He's still better than most college QBs, but he doesn't look as accurate as he did last year. Wonder if he's dinged up. Clock management. Woof. Decent clock management probably precludes a need for a Hail Mary.

Et Cetera - **** replay reviews. Every major play that CU had went to review. Even ones that went our way still took excitement out of the stadium and momentum from the team.

Hot take - I'm cool with students storming the field, especially when you have basically a miracle win. But this is two years in a row they've stormed the field when the game isn't over yet. The AD needs to figure out a way to keep them in the stands until the game is actually over. Then let them loose.

Another takeaway: There were recruits at the game.... for them to see the electric atmosphere at Folsom, the crowd, the energy and storming the field. Those recruits should know that is rare and want to be a part of it.
Yeah. That’s what we always say. They could give 3 ****s about that stuff.

Most teams don't have the front 4 to do it or the back 7 that can cover our WRs. Baylor has both. UCF might be the 4th best pass rush we will play in the last 2 years. Behind UCLA, Oregon, and Oregon state. They might be the worst secondary we have played in the last two years. Maybe NDSU is worse but only from a talent stance. Their DBs have better technique
Aranda is also a fantastic defensive coordinator

I am so confused why we went away from the run game pretty much the entire second half. The second drive for our first TD was a thing of beauty. Runs, mixed with short pass simulated runs, mixed with medium passing game. And then Shurmur just went away from it? So weird.
Not sure what the splits were for halves, but we actually had 42 rushing attempts to 41 passing attempts. Granted, 8 of those were sacks and some designed passes that he scrambled on.

But this is two years in a row they've stormed the field when the game isn't over yet. The AD needs to figure out a way to keep them in the stands until the game is actually over. Then let them loose.
While I agree with the sentiment that they need to figure out a way to control field storming, it is going to be very difficult absent draconian penalties against the students with I think none of us would really want. The south end zone is almost tailor-made for field-storming. There is just a little fence and the Colorado asphalt essentially provides a nice ramp for getting on the field. If they put in a big fence it will block views for the first few rows.They would need a couple hundred cops/security guards forming a human wall to even attempt to create a human barrier. In the 2016 season we had a similar situation and they tried numerous things, including Rick George himself standing at the top of the "Colorado" in the south end zone and trying to convince the students not to storm. Like in 2016 I expect the conference to fine CU for the storming, and to have increasing fines for subsequent stormings. And that won't stop it either. The only thing that could stop it would be some kind of no-tolerance policy of suspending any student storming the field for the rest of the semester, using video to identify people. I wouldn't want that, and I doubt many would. Also, the students would likely figure that if 5,000 students storm the field that CU isn't going to suspend 15- 20 percent of the student body, so they would continue to do it anyway. They could bring in a bunch of cops and start making some arrests for trespassing, but that would be a drop in the ocean and might result in some further unpleasant physical confrontations with the police and then escalating charges. And the optics of tackling students, cuffing them, and taking them away would probably not go over well with our university or fans.

So I think that absent some major physical changes to the stadium, it is almost an unsolvable problem.

Back