What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU vs Nebraska Game Thread

Team is more toxic than my current relationship/living situation.

High bar to pass.
Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Had been with girlfriend for 2 years, moved in about a year ago. Turned into a pathologic liar and raging alcoholic in the last 6 months. Totaled her car and somehow didn't get arrested cause she clearly wasn't sober. Left the house to go to an exes about a month back, lied about it, tried to get back with me, tries to get me go on dates. Loses her **** every day over nothing. Constantly accused me of cheating with no merit.

And she still lives here because she left her old job and finally got a new one but needs the 60 days of income proof to move out.

As buckcherry said... Crazy bitch but the sex don't even make up for it.

Had been with girlfriend for 2 years, moved in about a year ago. Turned into a pathologic liar and raging alcoholic in the last 6 months. Totaled her car and somehow didn't get arrested cause she clearly wasn't sober. Left the house to go to an exes about a month back, lied about it, tried to get back with me, tries to get me go on dates. Loses her **** every day over nothing. Constantly accused me of cheating with no merit.

And she still lives here because she left her old job and finally got a new one but needs the 60 days of income proof to move out.

As buckcherry said... Crazy bitch but the sex don't even make up for it.
Yikes! Sorry man. I hope the 60 days go as quick as they can for you. Make sure you are non- reactive during that time.

3rd Play of the game (3rd and 10) (around 5:00 min mark of that video).

It's is an excellent example of the problems, both this year and last year. We are in our standard 5OL, 4WR. They line up 5 and bring 4. No stunts. We should be able to pick them up with just linemen, and even have the RB to help out. Instead, the D gets to SS up the middle (between the center and RG who have no one else to block) AND around the end so quick it's as if it was a screen pass. Instant sack. No chance. 3 DL got to SS at essentially the same time.

This is what I don't understand how can we mess THAT up that badly. There were no huge effort plays by the DL. I guess that's the play I saw that made me pretty certain we were in big trouble (and are).
The bigger question is this: they have 5 in the box. Who don't call a run play with 5 in the box?

The bigger question is this: they have 5 in the box. Who don't call a run play with 5 in the box?
Shedeur doesn't. He checks out of every run play. So when we become one dimensional and the Defense can pin their ears back with no tight ends or RB's to help, Shedeur comes back and blames the offensive line. I bought that bull**** last year, but I'm not buying it this year.

3rd Play of the game (3rd and 10) (around 5:00 min mark of that video).

It's is an excellent example of the problems, both this year and last year. We are in our standard 5OL, 4WR. They line up 5 and bring 4. No stunts. We should be able to pick them up with just linemen, and even have the RB to help out. Instead, the D gets to SS up the middle (between the center and RG who have no one else to block) AND around the end so quick it's as if it was a screen pass. Instant sack. No chance. 3 DL got to SS at essentially the same time.

This is what I don't understand how can we mess THAT up that badly. There were no huge effort plays by the DL. I guess that's the play I saw that made me pretty certain we were in big trouble (and are).
This^ I’m sick of everyone blaming SS and prime even though they aren’t completely innocent. Nebraska blitzed just 7% of the time. They lined up 4 guys against our 5 and we got manhandled. I don’t care what the scheme is, the play call, if they know we’re passing. If we can’t block a standard 4 vs 5 we’ve got problems.

This^ I’m sick of everyone blaming SS and prime even though they aren’t completely innocent. Nebraska blitzed just 7% of the time. They lined up 4 guys against our 5 and we got manhandled. I don’t care what the scheme is, the play call, if they know we’re passing. If we can’t block a standard 4 vs 5 we’ve got problems.
We also have 2 players that switched positions they've never played before. Explain that. There is a pattern here. Lewis' offense last year was undermined, and if you don't believe me go look up SDSU's rushing yds/game and then go look up Northwestern's

We also have 2 players that switched positions they've never played before. Explain that. There is a pattern here. Lewis' offense last year was undermined, and if you don't believe me go look up SDSU's rushing yds/game and then go look up Northwestern's
San Diego ST put 0 points against Oregon state Saturday. They ran for 2.9 yds a carry for 72 yards.

You can ask for manning up, but if they cannot block it, then adjust. Add a double, chip, motion.
Doing nothing is dumb
Watching this 49ers offense vs ours is nauseating

You can ask for manning up, but if they cannot block it, then adjust. Add a double, chip, motion.
Doing nothing is dumb
Watching this 49ers offense vs ours is nauseating

I have been beating the drum for extra blockers. I fully believe we need to change formations, use motion and shifts, bring in TEs and even an overloaded line.

However, going through the game again, just watching how unable our 5 OL were to handle even just 3, but definitely 4, DL. Most of these problems were not communication issues. Most of the problems were just one OL being flat footed as a DL ran around them and they reached to grab him. I absolutely believe that if you have a running game, and the other team doesn't always know exactly what play you are going to run, that HAS to help your blocking.

But... dang....

Last edited:
I have been beating the drum for extra blockers. I fully believe we need to change formations, use motion and shifts, bring in TEs and even an overloaded line.

However, going through the game again, just watching how unable our 5 OL were to handle even just 3 DL, but definitely 4, DL. Most of these problems were not communication issues. Most of the problems were just one OL being flat footed as a DL ran around them and they reached to grab him. I absolutely believe that if you have a running game, and the other team doesn't always know exactly what play you are going to run, that HAS to help your blocking.

But... dang....
The half second of the dl determining if they need to try and tackle a runner or can go for the qb really helps the ol more than you realize.

Take it away, where the dl knows with 90% confidence that they can pin their ears back and go for the qb, and you get our ol last year and this year.

Last edited:
Ok I'll type slow for you mister down vote anything questioning SS and CP.

I don't care if you are sick of the blame game. Why?

10 fully serviceable O-Lineman.
2 different seasons
2 different OC's
2 different OLC's.
2 different seasons where SS and CP are openly criticizing their performance
Sports Media and us fans blaming everything bad on the OL, past and present.
Last years O-Lineman being fully serviceable for other teams post-SS and CP
The constant hype for an increasingly one dimensional SS being the "top pick in the draft" and Heisman Candidate.
SS still... STILL.. not able to consistently throw the ball away. He should have said "Did you see how many times Raiola calmly threw the ball away and lived another day?"
SS still... STILL... going backwards and losing big chunks of yards when being pursued. See throw the ball away above.
SS changing the play at the line, and now we've seen one, maybe two cases where he admitted he did it, and it was a bad decision. This will happen to every player but when your reasoning is "disrespect", well that's not a good look for football smarts.
SS leaving the game early, (Sadly, he had a real reason for it, but the optics were horrible)

Now here's the point. EVERYONE here wants SS and CP to succeed. We have not seen the bill of goods we were sold this year. There may be perfectly solid reasons for anything listed above, but we are damn well within our rights to question it, especially after the end of last year and the beginning of this. I really don't care who is sick of it, after all the hopium I mainlined, I'm damn tired of coming down to "Again?"

I'm not calling for CP to go away. I want SS to be the second pick in the draft after Travis. If this continues he'll be lucky to sniff the end of the first round. I despise this talent going to waste though, first against the nubs, and I'm actually not confident going into the sheep. I never thought playoffs and a NC were possible for this year, but I did believe bowl all the way. We'll see this weekend if I need to go to Hopium Anonymous or not on Sunday.

Thanks for the down vote. I wear it as a badge of pride and honor from you.

We hired him to recruit. Him being Deion. Where is the offensive line that can block and pass protect? Is this Rick George’s fault? Maybe it’s Ted Boyles fault

2 different seasons
2 different OC's
2 different OLC's.
The constant hype for an increasingly one dimensional SS being the "top pick in the draft" and Heisman Candidate.
SS still... STILL.. not able to consistently throw the ball away. He should have said "Did you see how many times Raiola calmly threw the ball away and lived another day?"
SS still... STILL... going backwards and losing big chunks of yards when being pursued. See throw the ball away above.
SS changing the play at the line, and now we've seen one, maybe two cases where he admitted he did it, and it was a bad decision. This will happen to every player but when your reasoning is "disrespect", well that's not a good look for football smarts.
SS leaving the game early, (Sadly, he had a real reason for it, but the optics were horrible)

Now here's the point. EVERYONE here wants SS and CP to succeed. We have not seen the bill of goods we were sold this year. There may be perfectly solid reasons for anything listed above, but we are damn well within our rights to question it, especially after the end of last year and the beginning of this. I really don't care who is sick of it, after all the hopium I mainlined, I'm damn tired of coming down to "Again?"

I'm not calling for CP to go away. I want SS to be the second pick in the draft after Travis. If this continues he'll be lucky to sniff the end of the first round. I despise this talent going to waste though, first against the nubs, and I'm actually not confident going into the sheep. I never thought playoffs and a NC were possible for this year, but I did believe bowl all the way. We'll see this weekend if I need to go to Hopium Anonymous or not on Sunday.

You lost me after 10 fully serviceable olineman

Attachments

• IMG_0989.png
    IMG_0989.png
    6 KB · Views: 2
We hired him to recruit. Him being Deion. Where is the offensive line that can block and pass protect? Is this Rick George’s fault? Maybe it’s Ted Boyles fault
He recruited an entirely new oline that everyone was jacked about. Including the number one olineman out of high school?

San Diego ST put 0 points against Oregon state Saturday. They ran for 2.9 yds a carry for 72 yards.
Just popping in to slow the roll on this talk SDSU/NU talk. I watched both Northwestern games in their entirety for personal reasons and that offense SUCKS. They should be 0-2 right now and they MIGHT win 1 or 2 more. MIGHT. SDSU put their run yardage up against TA&M Commerce who won't win a game this year in FCS.

2 different seasons
2 different OC's
2 different OLC's.

I don't see how these two points of view (this one and Brockbuff cited above) are in contradiction. I, for one, have been agreeing with and making some of the same points presented in each post:

The performance of the OL in two games this season raises really annoying questions--again. The scheme is horrible, one-note, uncreative and deeply flawed. But also, the OL have been getting beaten one-on-one over and over again, even when there is no possible communication issue to blame: just block the guy lined up across from you--nope.

I have to think, and hope, that the problem is a complete lack of commitment to any form of smash-mouth running scheme. IF that's the case, I can see things improving if we actually shifted to focus on that. I don't believe that our training and practices have been light or easy, at all. We have been pushing all our players hard. With that in mind, a shift of plan or scheme might not require too much to implement. As far as I can see, that's our only real hope here.

If the OL truly sucks, we are screwed. I don't think they each do, as they've been able to block elsewhere (except for our center who remains a question mark). I think at least one is completely out of position. Brown should absolutely be a guard.

If the OL coaching is as flawed as under "Blocking Sled," then we are also screwed. That may be a bigger concern, as we are clearly not prepared for even one-on-one battles.

BUT... the big problem seems to be that the Defense can completely focus on ears-back pass rushing on every play, as they never have to worry about a productive running game. So what if we happen to hit a run for 10 yards? That won't continue. So, IF we can focus on creating a productive running game, the Defense will not know what we are doing ON EVERY PLAY. That HAS to help our blocking.

The question will remain: will SS, HCP, and Shurmer all agree to do that?

I think y'all are overreacting.

Yes, that game was bad. But it wasn't like UCLA last year. We had some bad breaks in the first half. Nebraska gets lucky on a punt (BTW - that ball landed just inches inside the 10 - can't say it was a terrible decision by Wester like some have said). And then Shedeur just makes a terrible decision. Things break a bit differently, and maybe it's a 7-10 point game at half. I'm not suggesting that Nebraska didn't outplay us - they clearly did. But nothing went our way.

The pass/run splits are not as outlandish as some suggest. We just can't run the ball. But Washington last year had similar splits. There is still a lot of football left to be played.

Yes, that game was bad. But it wasn't like UCLA last year. We had some bad breaks in the first half. Nebraska gets lucky on a punt (BTW - that ball landed just inches inside the 10 - can't say it was a terrible decision by Wester like some have said). And then Shedeur just makes a terrible decision. Things break a bit differently, and maybe it's a 7-10 point game at half. I'm not suggesting that Nebraska didn't outplay us - they clearly did. But nothing went our way.

The pass/run splits are not as outlandish as some suggest. We just can't run the ball. But Washington last year had similar splits. There is still a lot of football left to be played.
I'll save you a seat at Sunday's Hopium Anonymous meeting just in case.

1) You are right that many are overreacting and we had some bad breaks. But we earned those bad breaks by being stupid and bad at football.
2) You are huffing hopium by the end.
3) You are right there is a lot of football left to be played. Be ready for pain.

THIS. That said, if we lose to CSU who is pretty mid this year, the staff should be fired on Sunday. That includes HCP. If you can't use the NU loss to light a fire big enough to burn down the entire city of Ft. Collins, then we're done.

THIS. That said, if we lose to CSU who is pretty mid this year, the staff should be fired on Sunday. That includes HCP. If you can't use the NU loss to light a fire big enough to burn down the entire city of Ft. Collins, then we're done.
I'll run with that.

If there was a way to rep this to infinity, I would.

I just pulled up Washington's game stats vs Oregon State last season since I figured that was an opponent which is close to NDSU & NU stylistically. 18 carries by RBs compared to 28 passes from Penix. There were also 3 runs from Penix for 22 yards, so there was a little bit there which wasn't sacks.

Anyway, I'll take an 18/28 balance on R/P and be totally satisfied. We're a passing offense and that fits our personnel. RB carries as a % of that + pass plays at 39% is balanced enough. Against NDSU we were at 29% and we were at 23% vs NU.

In short, I'm asking us to be 60/40 passes vs RB runs. Which for simplicity's sake is just 60/40 balance of pass calls vs run calls (since the majority of Shedeur's runs were called passes that resulted in a sack or scramble plus we'll mix in 2 or 3 WR runs a game it's the call more than the position or how it goes in the box score).

TLDR: CU has a passing offense and that's just fine. But the play call balance needs to be around 60% P/ 40% R.

Last edited:
Back