What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU vs Nebraska Game Thread

Defense does not have the ability to play man coverage
not against plays designed to suceed against man to man.. why did CU not change to zone when they line up like they did like placing three wide receivers as group.. or why not change to zone when Nebraska puts guys in motion as we watch CU defenders run across the entire field to try to cover?

Played College Soccer, Created one of the largest Youth Soccer Clubs, won State Titles as a Soccer Coach in HS and Club
I am a Coach buddy, know the "PROCESS" of how to win, and actually strongly believe that it will always take 3 years to be a winner, and we have tried hard to shortcut that timeline due to generational talent and there are things that are uncomfortable, but the ride has been fun and frustrating
Thanks for the reply. Personally, if you believe losing 50 players a year is recipe for success, then we will agree to disagree. Continuity in coaching, players, and culture is key. The three year theory works when you are building a team with recruits who are TEAM players first, not castoffs with shiny stars looking for some scratch. If you think this method will work, bless your heart. I hope you are right. I really really do.

But since you are being extremely civil and I thank you for that, please tell me what Prime is doing to establish a team first mentality? Since you are very experienced in this arena, what has you convinced that a "me first" approach works for any team? We had linemen sitting on the ground against water coolers looking like they were sleeping in the 4th quarter. Is this the type of team you want?

p.s. Prime won't be here for year 3 anyway, so your approved approach won't matter a lick. Whether we like it or not, we will be starting over in 2025. Friggin sucks.

Didn't watch past the 1st quarter because of a medical emergency with my daughter. Buffs got handled, but it doesn't mean sh!t in the big picture of things. Everyone should always remember that.
I pray that she is okay. And you are so correct. We can get fired up about our team and have disagreements, but there are bigger things in life.

Prayers sent to you and your family.

Hey #1, can SS2 take snaps from under center? Would you say he has a good grip on his ball fakes? Just does not feel like he sells any fakes, or has play action acumen? This offense has so little overall value to showing all of what he can do, and it is doing no favors to building the resume for the other positions.
vanilla pass protection scheme.. with empty backfield it gets worse and yes opponent coaches have watched film.. something that appears lacking or not competently done by CU staff. and .. if players are not at fault and coaching is not at fault.. maybe this is Shedeur's fault? Even Joel Klatt said at least put some players in motion and of course run the damn ball from time to time and make sure pass protection scheme lines up with the play called. They need better play design, those shallow passes towards the sidelines are terribly designed and led to the 3rd down sack on first possession and pick six less than ten minutes into the game. Players are good enough, line coaching appears good enough, so it must be the scheme and/or the QB that is the problem with the run game and pass protection.

NFL analyst Greg Cosell believed Colorado football offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur's strong suit is one that will enable Shedeur Sanders to elevate his stock even further -- that being Shurmur's schemes' ability to protect the quarterback. "I wouldn’t call him a playmaker," Cosell said (h/t Essentially Sports). "But Pat Shurmur will focus on protection and that’s critical because he was under such duress last year."

Yet what stresses has Shurmur or Shedeur placed on defenses before the snap to maybe hide the play call if run or pass or pass to whom and where they might run??

Thanks for the reply. Personally, if you believe losing 50 players a year is recipe for success, then we will agree to disagree. Continuity in coaching, players, and culture is key. The three year theory works when you are building a team with recruits who are TEAM players first, not castoffs with shiny stars looking for some scratch. If you think this method will work, bless your heart. I hope you are right. I really really do.

But since you are being extremely civil and I thank you for that, please tell me what Prime is doing to establish a team first mentality? Since you are very experienced in this arena, what has you convinced that a "me first" approach works for any team? We had linemen sitting on the ground against water coolers looking like they were sleeping in the 4th quarter. Is this the type of team you want?

p.s. Prime won't be here for year 3 anyway, so your approved approach won't matter a lick. Whether we like it or not, we will be starting over in 2025. Friggin sucks.
"Friggin sucks"? Thanks passive-aggressive Nebraska fan!

While you're at it, tell me how continuity works for a 1-11 team that was so historically bad that it lost it's first five games by over 25 points and was in the cellar in every offensive and defensive category. Thanks in advance.

vanilla pass protection scheme.. with empty backfield it gets worse and yes opponent coaches have watched film.. something that appears lacking or not competently done by CU staff. and .. if players are not at fault and coaching is not at fault.. maybe this is Shedeur's fault? Even Joel Klatt said at least put some players in motion and of course run the damn ball from time to time and make sure pass protection scheme lines up with the play called. They need better play design, those shallow passes towards the sidelines are terribly designed and led to the 3rd down sack on first possession and pick six less than ten minutes into the game. Players are good enough, line coaching appears good enough, so it must be the scheme and/or the QB that is the problem with the run game and pass protection.

NFL analyst Greg Cosell believed Colorado football offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur's strong suit is one that will enable Shedeur Sanders to elevate his stock even further -- that being Shurmur's schemes' ability to protect the quarterback. "I wouldn’t call him a playmaker," Cosell said (h/t Essentially Sports). "But Pat Shurmur will focus on protection and that’s critical because he was under such duress last year."

Yet what stresses has Shurmur or Shedeur placed on defenses before the snap to maybe hide the play call if run or pass or pass to whom and where they might run??
1. I have no doubt that any football coach knows the basic things we do about the wrinkles you can use to slow down a pass rush.

2. Shurmur is much more experienced and knowledgeable than the average coach and his wheelhouse is OL & QB.

3. Shurmur's calling card in his career is giving his QB time and getting him comfortable & efficient with easy reads & throws.

Given the above, my strong inclination is to believe that some things are happening on offense which are outside the control of the OC.

1. I have no doubt that any football coach knows the basic things we do about the wrinkles you can use to slow down a pass rush.

2. Shurmur is much more experienced and knowledgeable than the average coach and his wheelhouse is OL & QB.

3. Shurmur's calling card in his career is giving his QB time and getting him comfortable & efficient with easy reads & throws.

Given the above, my strong inclination is to believe that some things are happening on offense which are outside the control of the OC.
Absolutely to the last statement. This is not his MO and what we say Saturday was completely counter to it. Tells you something else was impacting the decisions and play calls

I believe there is a 2-year Shedeur period and a 5-8 year after Shedeur period unless he just says F-it. What we are doing now is tough and hard, but the only way it was going to work, otherwise Shedeur should have gone to Michigan.
There are a lot of portal guys that would have been normal recruits in 2021 and 2022 with a decent staff and we will be building through them, but with Shedeur and Travis we are trying to fly a plane while building it.

I believe there is a 2-year Shedeur period and a 5-8 year after Shedeur period unless he just says F-it. What we are doing now is tough and hard, but the only way it was going to work, otherwise Shedeur should have gone to Michigan.
There are a lot of portal guys that would have been normal recruits in 2021 and 2022 with a decent staff and we will be building through them, but with Shedeur and Travis we are trying to fly a plane while building it.
I only believe in a 2 year Shedeur period.

I only believe in a 2 year Shedeur period.
That is a 50/50 proposition, but I believe Travis and Shedeur to the league is phase 1 and then building a NC program is the next 3-8 years if he wants to, if he wants to prove the asshats wrong, and all this hate is fuel for him to stay and do it

That is a 50/50 proposition, but I believe Travis and Shedeur to the league is phase 1 and then building a NC program is the next 3-8 years if he wants to, if he wants to prove the asshats wrong, and all this hate is fuel for him to stay and do it
Running this offense is doing nothing to help Shedeur's draft stock, or anyone else on offense not named Travis. I hope he recognizes this.

Daddy needs to take away the keys. In hindsight, it’s remarkable we thought we had a good shot at a better OC in the offseason. Alarm bells must have been deafeningly going off in coaching circles.
So is the hypothesis that Shurmur is doing what Prime and Shedeur want, but even then, SS2 gets to audible out of the calls as well, so this is essentially Shedeur's offense with Prime's blessing?

Daddy needs to take away the keys. In hindsight, it’s remarkable we thought we had a good shot at a better OC in the offseason. Alarm bells must have been deafeningly going off in coaching circles.
I think Shurmer was plan C or D. I think other experienced OC's looked at the roster and said Wow, and then heard what was asked of them and said...no thanks. We were all asking who the OC was going to be, heard names like Leftwich et al. and then Shurmer was quietly announced OC on the first day of spring term IIRC. Something is amiss. There is plenty of talent, even on the OL. Something else is making to offense virtually unwatchable.

I think Shurmer was plan C or D. I think other experienced OC's looked at the roster and said Wow, and then heard what was asked of them and said...no thanks. We were all asking who the OC was going to be, heard names like Leftwich et al. and then Shurmer was quietly announced OC on the first day of spring term IIRC. Something is amiss. There is plenty of talent, even on the OL. Something else is making to offense virtually unwatchable.
This is clear to me. This isn't Shurmur's offense either, he was just willing to put his name on it.

This is clear to me. This isn't Shurmur's offense either, he was just willing to put his name on it.
this week and bailer will tell us a lot. If there aren't changes in scheme and play calling against two foes CU should handle, and they run with the same old, same old, UCF, KjSU, Utah and Okie St. will be very tough games, because I believe that will indicate CU will not make the changes necessary. Those teams will feast against the SS2 Barn Storm offense. Have to get an extra blocker in the box, and have to get the ball to RB's that are threats (i.e. not Charlie, God bless him). If the run isn't at least used to compliment the pass, it will be the same as we saw last year. 4-5 wins will not cut it.

I'm done blaming the OC's, Oline Coaches and the Oline.
I don’t know. Watching our OL get badly beat by the guy across from them, over and over.

The first holding call against our C was just him getting horribly beat across his face. There was no question who he was blocking. The DL was left of him, and beat him easily on his right side. Our guys looked they they were two steps slow inside the phone booth.

I don’t know. Watching our OL get badly beat by the guy across from them, over and over.

The first holding call against our C was just him getting horribly beat across his face. There was no question who he was blocking. The DL was left of him, and beat him easily on his right side. Our guys looked they they were two steps slow inside the phone booth.
We also swapped two linemen into positions they've never played before. We are a one dimensional offense that constantly empties the backfield and doesn't bring in TE's to help. They are being set up to fail, imo.

I just looked this up. SDSU is averaging 163 rush yds/game. Northwestern is averaging 140.

We also swapped two linemen into positions they've never played before. We are a one dimensional offense that constantly empties the backfield and doesn't bring in TE's to help. They are being set up to fail, imo.

I just looked this up. SDSU is averaging 163 rush yds/game. Northwestern is averaging 140.
I don't disagree that our scheme is hugely to blame for all of this. I can't believe we are trying a run-and-shoot concept in this day and age. I wish we would put a TE in on every play, even an overload run with an extra tackle and a TE to one side. We need to wrap our arms back around smash-mouth football, but it may to too late to build an offense with those concepts and that attitude.

Check out this video. Bad play design and play calling plus a lack of film prep might be part of problem. Go to about 4:05 mark for first snap.. what kind of crap is it to start Charlie and then what about the blocking scheme on the first down pass to the right side that appears to have had No chance to succeed. Did they have blocking set up for running play. And then the lateral pass on second down.. oh my this kind of pass looked bad last week and they called it again?? then on third all four receivers went straight out downfield, not one turned to the left or right or looked back so Shedeur could throw the ball to them.. and it seemed the Nebraska D even with blockers in front of them went downfield towards Shedeur faster than the WR's went down field.. Talk about being beat to the punch and this play had Zero chance of success. that was first three plays.. pitiful.

Last edited:
I don't disagree that our scheme is hugely to blame for all of this. I can't believe we are trying a run-and-shoot concept in this day and age. I wish we would put a TE in on every play, even an overload run with an extra tackle and a TE to one side. We need to wrap our arms back around smash-mouth football, but it may to too late to build an offense with those concepts and that attitude.
The bottom line is I think shedeur is checking out of run plays more than we think and there is no adult in the room to say he doesn't know what's good for himself. We roll out 4-5 wr's at the expense of pass protection. What good are these WR's if passing plays are telegraphed?

I'm really not expecting any changes. We will probably see the same thing and Deion and Shedeur will continue to blame the offensive line, like they did last year.

I really hope I'm wrong.

The bottom line is I think shedeur is checking out of run plays more than we think
replay of game, first down starts just after 4:05 mark

How is it that Nebraska players were quicker off the snap that CU's? Did they scout out CU snap counts and were these counts not changed from first game? Something is wrong here.

Is it possible Shedeur checked out of run play on the first play of the game? Check out the blocking scheme. With Nebraska getting into backfield so fast it is hard to see clearly, but it looks like an inconsistent scheme where at least Tyler Brown pulled from RT and was run blocking towards middle of line [note in failed 4th down run against NDSU, Tyler Brown was in pass protection, while rest of line was run blocking] I do not agree with starting Charlie, did he really earn top RB spot? Both he and WR's were almost in slow motion getting off the ball and getting moving compared to Nebraska.. How does this happen? Is this just Nebraska beating CU to the punch or did they somehow steal the snap counts and practice for them?

Last edited:
replay of game, first down starts just after 4:05 mark

How is it that Nebraska players were quicker off the snap that CU's? Did they scout out CU snap counts and were these counts not changed from first game? Something is wrong here.

Is it possible Shedeur checked out of run play on the first play of the game? Check out he blocking scheme. I do not agree with starting Charlie, did he really earn top RB spot? Both he and WR's were almost in slow motion getting off the ball and getting moving compared to Nebraska.. How does this happen? Is this just Nebraska beating CU to the punch or did they somehow steal the snap counts and practice for them?
Nebraska is not going to have any respect or be worried about Charlie, and Run-Blitzing is an obvious good idea for everyone cause it is likely that we do not run it, even on running downs

Check out this video. Bad play design and play calling plus a lack of film prep might be part of problem. Go to about 4:05 mark for first snap.. what kind of crap is it to start Charlie and then what about the blocking scheme on the first down pass to the right side that appears to have had No chance to succeed. Did they have blocking set up for running play. And then the lateral pass on second down.. oh my this kind of pass looked bad last week and they called it again?? then on third all four receivers went straight out downfield, not one turned to the left or right or looked back so Shedeur could throw the ball to them.. and it seemed the Nebraska D even with blockers in front of them went downfield towards Shedeur faster than the WR's went down field.. Talk about being beat to the punch and this play had Zero chance of success. that was first three plays.. pitiful.
3rd Play of the game (3rd and 10) (around 5:00 min mark of that video).

It's is an excellent example of the problems, both this year and last year. We are in our standard 5OL, 4WR. They line up 5 and bring 4. No stunts. We should be able to pick them up with just linemen, and even have the RB to help out. Instead, the D gets to SS up the middle (between the center and RG who have no one else to block) AND around the end so quick it's as if it was a screen pass. Instant sack. No chance. 3 DL got to SS at essentially the same time.

This is what I don't understand how can we mess THAT up that badly. There were no huge effort plays by the DL. I guess that's the play I saw that made me pretty certain we were in big trouble (and are).

Back