What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official MBB Game Thread: UCLA sucks and CU will crush them! 2pm Sunday

Tad needs to work out the bi-polar tendencies of this team. If they play every game like they played yesterday, they are a 22+ win team. WSU, USC at home, OSU, UW at home were all very winnable games. Then add in real head scratchers like CSU and USD and this team is tantalizingly close to being a contender.

Maybe they figure out a way to put it all together in the tournament. Stranger things have happened.

So Tad doesn’t need to do anything to correct the issue? A little experience will take care of everything?
Good to know.

Yes, experience will make that one better. Solve everything? No. But assuming that a team full of underclassmen are going to be consistent day in and day out is ridiculous. Look at Duke and Kentucky - the youngest two teams in the nation who are capable of beating anyone on any given night or losing to anyone (and if you don't think Duke is capable of losing to ANYONE, they lost to St. John's for God's sake).

There are legit things to think the team needs to work on. But experience helps smooth the "bi-polar" aspects out. Not having a freshman PG helps smooth the bi-polar out. Not having your veteran presence on the court be either Dom or King will help. It all adds up.

It's also not a coincidence that there was only one bad loss at home. Road games are hard, especially for players that have never played road games before in college. There is no excuse for the Wazzu game, and that one's on Tad. But winning on the road will get easier as the players get older. Making the NIT will help too

So Tad doesn’t need to do anything to correct the issue? A little experience will take care of everything?
Good to know.

Yes, you’re a Buffs fan, right? Remember the 2016 buffs football team? That was experience right there, they weren’t more talented than everyone.

You know, guys, pointing out that the team had issues with consistency in 2018 is not a Federal offense. Hoping the coaching staff has a better option than saying “we will be a year older”, is not akin to being a fan of a different program.

Lotsa touchy posters in this forum. You’d think I kicked somebody’s dog.

This has been a good season, especially considering the absence of Miller and Battey. As others noted, these are young guys and they need to develop in a lot of ways. Confidence is huge - it is totally necessary and totally unteachable. Even MW, after getting all the praise in the world and POW, still had some 'deer in the headlights' moments, accompanied by turnovers. They really have to experience it, to know they have what it takes to win (and to win against Top 10 teams; and to win after going cold for 5 minutes; and to win when one of you is out; and to win on the road, etc) These guys should now have confidence in all but 'the road'.

Wasn't that Battey on the end of the bench, pumped up and having a good time?

I don't think we can give enough praise to Kin Wright.

I'm biased because of our mutual MN roots but who knows where this team would be without him. I have been so impressed with his ability to find the hot hand and his tenacity on both ends of the court.

My mind is at ease knowing that Kin will be the floor general for our Buffs for the next couple of years (not to mention the recruiting boost having a dynamic point guard will continue to have).

But Dallas benefitted from Battey and Tory being out. If they were both available, Dallas would not have gotten many minutes nor chance to battle with Ayton. One door closes and another opens.
Should be interesting to see what direction program goes from here.
They have some good pieces, just need to keep getting better

I don't think we can give enough praise to Kin Wright.

I'm biased because of our mutual MN roots but who knows where this team would be without him. I have been so impressed with his ability to find the hot hand and his tenacity on both ends of the court.

My mind is at ease knowing that Kin will be the floor general for our Buffs for the next couple of years (not to mention the recruiting boost having a dynamic point guard will continue to have).

Totally agree, can't be overstated ... without Kin, I'm guessing we'd be, at best, 10-19 and very possibly much worse.

You know, guys, pointing out that the team had issues with consistency in 2018 is not a Federal offense. Hoping the coaching staff has a better option than saying “we will be a year older”, is not akin to being a fan of a different program.

It wasn't that you pointed it out. @Goose agreed with it being a struggle for this year's team and gave you the reason behind it. When you've got is a lot of young guys who are developing, few guys are reliable from game-to-game with production or even segment-to-segment. Very few guys were capable of holding up for 25+ minutes in a game this year. So Tad needed to run a deep bench with a ton of mixing and matching to find lineups that worked on a given night. He'd be a very happy coach if had 5 guys who were averaging 25+ minutes. This year, he's got 7 guys averaging between 14-20 minutes with Kin and King the only guys over 25. That's unheard of and I expect it to change next season.

Last edited:
I'm still extremely nervous about next years freshman class. If we get one more class that's remotely close to Kin/Bey/Walton, I expect us to be perennially top-3 in the PAC (this is considering the unclear future of Battey)

Tad readily admits that some of the inconsistency issues or on him and that he needs to do a better job. Of course some of those comments are him falling on his sword.

I'm still extremely nervous about next years freshman class. If we get one more class that's remotely close to Kin/Bey/Walton, I expect us to be perennially top-3 in the PAC (this is considering the unclear future of Battey)

Yep, this next class has a few solid role players that can play defense. It would've been hard to get another great class given that the kids know they'll be stuck behind some talent for awhile. Would've been/would be nice to get another ready-made big. My dream is we get Theo Jon to transfer from Marquette

Tad readily admits that some of the inconsistency issues or on him and that he needs to do a better job. Of course some of those comments are him falling on his sword.
The difference between the way we treat Tad Boyle and Mike MacIntyre on this board is incredible. Always a ready excuse for Boyle - youth, injuries, chemistry issues, whatever.

The difference between the way we treat Tad Boyle and Mike MacIntyre on this board is incredible. Always a ready excuse for Boyle - youth, injuries, chemistry issues, whatever.
Hmm. Alrighty then.

Tad's had one bad coaching job year since he's been here. Last season. I thought that was NCAA Tourney talent even when I had no idea that Derrick White was an NBA talent and we actually had a great PG. Complete failure to reach those players and wasted that talented senior class.

Otherwise, yes, I point to injuries to J40 and Spencer as reasons a couple seasons didn't get where they could have and I do believe youth is a particular issue if you're not recruiting like Duke. I blame Tad for chemistry issues, though. He recruited the players and sets the culture.

If you're only talking modern era, it's not arguable.

Correct. Coach Walseth and Coach Cox are the only other coaches in the overall discussion.

Cox: 2 NCAA Elite 8's, 1 final four. NIT Champ and NIT Runner up. The NIT was the bigger tournament back then, so thats a big deal. He also had 4 Moutain Sports Conference titles (BYU, CU, CSU, DU, USU, UU, UW). 13 seasons, .623 winning percentage

Walseth: 3 Big 8 titles, and 3 trips to the NCAA tournament. Again before the NCAA was the big one. 20 Seasons, .516 winning percentage

Last edited:
I’m not even arguing that he isn’t the best CU hoops coach of our generation. He is.

MM gets his best recruiting class ever and it’s not good enough. Tad signs two guys nobody has really heard of and we need to wait and see how they play before passing judgement.

Has Tad earned that rope? Probably. Still, the difference is striking.

I’m not even arguing that he isn’t the best CU hoops coach of our generation. He is.

MM gets his best recruiting class ever and it’s not good enough. Tad signs two guys nobody has really heard of and we need to wait and see how they play before passing judgement.

Has Tad earned that rope? Probably. Still, the difference is striking.

Football has a $150 million facility and one of the best stadiums in the nation.

Basketball has a $15 million facility and a ****hole that I find endearing.

Football has a long history of national achievements.

Basketball's last made the Sweet 16 in 1969.

CU football had the most alums in the NFL in the '90s at one point.

CU basketball had Chauncey.

I'm honestly wondering if at this point you're arguing just to argue.

I think perennial top 3 is a bit high, because Arizona, UCLA (Alford aside...they could/should be better), and Utah should be top 3 imo. But yes, I agree, and I also worry about next year's freshman. I wasn't expecting a repeat of the current freshman haul, but... ....it disappointed by a lot. Hope I'm wrong.

Back