What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official MBB Game Thread: UCLA sucks and CU will crush them! 2pm Sunday

Football has a $150 million facility and one of the best stadiums in the nation.

Basketball has a $15 million facility and a ****hole that I find endearing.

Football has a long history of national achievements.

Basketball's last made the Sweet 16 in 1969.

CU football had the most alums in the NFL in the '90s at one point.

I'm honestly wondering if at this point you're arguing just to argue.

Wow. That’s an impressive set of excuses there. Many of which I had never even considered.

I particularly like that last jab. Self aware much?

I’m not even arguing that he isn’t the best CU hoops coach of our generation. He is.

MM gets his best recruiting class ever and it’s not good enough
. Tad signs two guys nobody has really heard of and we need to wait and see how they play before passing judgement.

Has Tad earned that rope? Probably. Still, the difference is striking.
Except he didn't? And how is getting a recruiting class that compares reasonably well to his absolutely abysmal recruiting record supposed to be some massive credit to him? He set the bar so low that a class that ranks near the bottom of the P5 after his 5th year has impressed you, meanwhile you can't look at the historical bar that was set for Tad compared to what he's done here and see how insulting it is to compare how people view Tad to MacIntyre?

Except he didn't? And how is getting a recruiting class that compares reasonably well to his absolutely abysmal recruiting record supposed to be some massive credit to him? He set the bar so low that a class that ranks near the bottom of the P5 after his 5th year has impressed you, meanwhile you can't look at the historical bar that was set for Tad compared to what he's done here and see how insulting it is to compare how people view Tad to MacIntyre?
Jeric mini-slapped

Tad has made the post-season all 7 years he has coached here with 4 being NCAA tourneys. One conference title, too.
MacIntyre has made the post-season 1 out of 5 years he has coached here.

It is not more difficult to go .500 or better in basketball than in football.

Last edited:
And MM inherited the worst program in the history of CU football, while Tad inherited a team with Alec Burks and Cory Higgins on it. Each coach had challenges, successes and failures. Yet we rarely, if ever, point out Tads failures and when we do, there’s always a ready made excuse.

And apparently it’s impossible to get people to admit there’s a double standard in place with these two.

Fine.

What do you want? People here have said last year did not live up to expectations.
The resources for one (football) are more readily available than basketball.
All MM needs to do is win more than half his games and he gets into a bowl, which some people relate to making the NCAA tournament. make apples to apples in my opinion.
You should read back the archive posts. You will see several that call for TB to be removed

And MM inherited the worst program in the history of CU football, while Tad inherited a team with Alec Burks and Cory Higgins on it. Each coach had challenges, successes and failures. Yet we rarely, if ever, point out Tads failures and when we do, there’s always a ready made excuse.

And apparently it’s impossible to get people to admit there’s a double standard in place with these two.

Fine.
Double standard has been pointed out for you ad nauseum, but you don't seem to get it. One guy coaches basketball, and another coaches football. The standards are different at CU for those two sports at CU.You seem to want them to be treated the same despite that issue. That's silly.

However, the best part is that even ignoring that double standard (succeeding at basketball is way harder than succeeding at football at CU, FYI), Tad is STILL wildly more successful than HCMM.

At what point is Tad held to the same standard as MM?

Both coaches still here, what is your point?
Also one program has had off the field issues and one has not?
Both programs had players get in trouble off the field.
People at CU care more about football, so the standards are not going to be the same.

Sorry but in this world we live in all things dont get treated the same.
Sounds good in theory but rarely is the case.

Both coaches still here, what is your point?
Also one program has had off the field issues and one has not?
Both programs had players get in trouble off the field.
People at CU care more about football, so the standards are not going to be the same.

Sorry but in this world we live in all things dont get treated the same.
Sounds good in theory but rarely is the case.
I can accept this. Thanks.

Fine.
Not so fast my friend. The other Mac inherited the worst program in the history of CU football. 1-10 two years before with a loss to Drake and 3-8 the year before. It was beyond bad.

Not so fast my friend. The other Mac inherited the worst program in the history of CU football. 1-10 two years before with a loss to Drake and 3-8 the year before. It was beyond bad.
Dude. Are you forgetting Fresno State? The combination of Embrees “coaching” and the administrations indifference to the program placed 2012 squarely at the bottom of the pile as far as I’m concerned.

Dude. Are you forgetting Fresno State? The combination of Embrees “coaching” and the administrations indifference to the program placed 2012 squarely at the bottom of the pile as far as I’m concerned.
I think you're right. McCartney inherited an awful football team. But it wasn't the worst program among the power conferences. CU had become the worst power conference program under Embree.

Drake, mother****er, DRAKE! We lost to mother****ing DRAKE! In BOULDER! TWICE! I hope Chuck Fairbanks haunts your dreams.
Replace “Drake” with “Sacramento State” and then you’ll see where I’m coming from.

I was at the Drake game and it was bad. Sacramento State was far worse.

Replace “Drake” with “Sacramento State” and then you’ll see where I’m coming from.

I was at the Drake game and it was bad. Sacramento State was far worse.

The Drake game? There were TWO DRAKE GAMES! BOTH LOSSES! IN BOULDER! IN CONSECUTIVE SEASONS!

gtfo with your SacState BS.

Sac Ramento State.

That same year we lost to Oregon by like 100 points. The 1980-82 teams were bad, but showed a pulse. Embrees 2012 team quit before they stepped out on the field.

I think you're right. McCartney inherited an awful football team. But it wasn't the worst program among the power conferences. CU had become the worst power conference program under Embree.
Traitor

Sac Ramento State.

That same year we lost to Oregon by like 100 points. The 1980-82 teams were bad, but showed a pulse. Embrees 2012 team quit before they stepped out on the field.

I'm going to define not having a pulse as: losing at home to DRAKE, 9-13 in 1979 and then, when DRAKE again visits Boulder and you've had a year to stew on that loss and plan your revenge, you lose again, 22-41.

At least Embree was cheap and his teams wore uniforms with the correct colors. I'm not sure if you're related to Chuck Fairbanks or not . . .

Patton had 3 losing seasons, 7 seasons with a losing record in conference, a 43.8 conference win percentage, and 6 post season appearances (2 NCAA, 4 NIT) where he won a grand total of two games.

And we kept for 11 years because we didn't think we could do better.

Is his kid any good? I've never seen him play.

Yes, and we absolutely would take him on our team. But, no, we were never in his recruitment (or at least seriously, who knows if we sent him some letters and such), and he will not be coming here. He is not his dad though, in case that's what you're wondering.

Patton had 3 losing seasons, 7 seasons with a losing record in conference, a 43.8 conference win percentage, and 6 post season appearances (2 NCAA, 4 NIT) where he won a grand total of two games.

And we kept for 11 years because we didn't think we could do better.

I think some criticisms of Tad are more than fair, and even agree with some statements NotSure has been making. And I even agree with your post about RP. But, I do not think it applies to Tad at this moment. Tad has achieved much more success, and not just that... ...but his teams play so much better than RP's. Tad's earned a lot of rope, but yes, last year does deserve criticisms. He is far from having achieved sainthood like a K, Izzo, etc. Could we do better, absolutely... ....but we more than likely would end up doing a lot worse with another hire.

Tad readily admits that some of the inconsistency issues or on him and that he needs to do a better job. Of course some of those comments are him falling on his sword.
If you consider that the reason freshmen played so much is the shortage of competent Sophs, Jrs & Srs - then I can see Tad getting some blame for getting the team into that position.

Back