What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Non-FBS Thread

What is NDSU's proven identity?

Ten trips to the FCS Championship game since 2010 and winning nine of them. They were pretty dominant in Division 2 before their move to FCS in the mid 2000's.

Ten trips to the FCS Championship game since 2010 and winning nine of them. They were pretty dominant in Division 2 before their move to FCS in the mid 2000's.
Ok. I don't normally think of "identity" as something based on events from two decades ago. What do you think Nebraska's identity is?

Ten trips to the FCS Championship game sincewin. 2010 and winning nine of them. They were pretty dominant in Division 2 before their move to FCS in the mid 2000's.
UNC was dominant in D2. They were tough as nails and knew how to win. Is that their identity now? CU was damn good in 2016. Is that our identity now?

Different players.
Different coaches.
Different eras.
It all matters.

Last edited:
Ok. I don't normally think of "identity" as something based on events from two decades ago. What do you think Nebraska's identity is?

NDSU plays tough defense and deploys a two QB system where one of the QBs is more of a passer (who can also run) while the other QB is more of a bruiser. And they win championships quite often as earlier stated.

NDSU plays tough defense and deploys a two QB system where one of the QBs is more of a passer (who can also run) while the other QB is more of a bruiser. And they win championships quite often as earlier stated.
Explain how they're going to stop Sanders/Hunter/Horn/Sheppard/Wester/Miller on O + the best front 7/secondary they've seen?

Explain how they're going to stop Sanders/Hunter/Horn/Sheppard/Wester/Miller on O + the best front 7/secondary they've seen?

I don't think NDSU is going to stop CU. It would not be in their best interest to get players injured when they have an usually long season with deep FCS playoff runs ahead of them. Too many things working against NDSU for a win such as their new coach making his coaching debut although he's familiar with the program. CU's coaches are able to watch the last three years of Wyoming football where he was the OC there.

UNC was dominant in D2. The were tough as nails and knew how to win. Is that their identity now? CU was damn good in 2016. Is that our identity now?

Different players.
Different coaches.
Different eras.
It all matters.
All of this is true.

But as I am sure you would agree, discipline and familiarity with the scheme are relevant. Discipline is tough to establish with as many new faces as we have. That isn’t to question their character, but all of the newness can lead to a lot of mistakes.

It is impossible to be familiar with the scheme this early in the season and it really hard for the coaches to be familiar with their players.

I think NDSU has the advantage in both of these areas and that makes me nervous. I simply wish this game was a bit more of a body bag game.

All of this is true.

But as I am sure you would agree, discipline and familiarity with the scheme are relevant. Discipline is tough to establish with as many new faces as we have. That isn’t to question their character, but all of the newness can lead to a lot of mistakes.

It is impossible to be familiar with the scheme this early in the season and it really hard for the coaches to be familiar with their players.

I think NDSU has the advantage in both of these areas and that makes me nervous. I simply wish this game was a bit more of a body bag game.
So we're just ignoring their coaching staff turnover & losses to the NIL here?

Talking up an FCS team is ridiculous,I don't care what they used to be.

All of this is true.

I suspect you never played nor ever coached.
1) I guarantee every player on the team is 100% familiar with the scheme. What they are not 100% familiar with is the playbook. No coach force feeds the entire playbook to their team before the season. It's a process that lasts throughout the season and is adjusted based on the opponent. The Buffs have everything they need to beat NDSU if they execute what has been given to them.
2) Every position coach on this team is 100% familiar with their player units at this point. Guaranteed. They each know exactly what they have. It's their job. As an example, my son said he typically spent 2-3 hours a day with his position coach May-July and 6-7 hours a day with them Aug-December. They knew things about each other that bordered on ridiculous. And that's at a lower level.
3) While in your mind NDSU has these "advantages" they don't really tip the scales much, if any. What does tip the scales in football is talent, solid game prep and home field advantage.

We're not going to win this game by 50, but we'll win somewhere in the range of 17-21. NDSU is a hard-nosed, winning program that deserves respect, but this isn't the 2010s. For either program.

I suspect you never played nor ever coached.
1) I guarantee every player on the team is 100% familiar with the scheme. What they are not 100% familiar with is the playbook. No coach force feeds the entire playbook to their team before the season. It's a process that lasts throughout the season and is adjusted based on the opponent. The Buffs have everything they need to beat NDSU if they execute what has been given to them.
2) Every position coach on this team is 100% familiar with their player units at this point. Guaranteed. They each know exactly what they have. It's their job. As an example, my son said he typically spent 2-3 hours a day with his position coach May-July and 6-7 hours a day with them Aug-December. They knew things about each other that bordered on ridiculous. And that's at a lower level.
3) While in your mind NDSU has these "advantages" they don't really tip the scales much, if any. What does tip the scales in football is talent, solid game prep and home field advantage.

We're not going to win this game by 50, but we'll win somewhere in the range of 17-21. NDSU is a hard-nosed, winning program that deserves respect, but this isn't the 2010s. For either program.
If this were all true than we would never see the upsets that we do EVERY year when a lower level team comes into somebody's house and hangs around, keeps a game close and then beats a more talented team. It happens every year.

Trust me, I have coached as much as anyone on this board and am in two HOFs because of my success coaching and I can say that you never know exactly what you have got until the heat of the battle.

I'm not saying that it is going to happen, but I am nervous about it. I wish RG would have scheduled us some bodybag games.

If this were all true than we would never see the upsets that we do EVERY year when a lower level team comes into somebody's house and hangs around, keeps a game close and then beats a more talented team. It happens every year.

Trust me, I have coached as much as anyone on this board and am in two HOFs because of my success coaching and I can say that you never know exactly what you have got until the heat of the battle.

I'm not saying that it is going to happen, but I am nervous about it. I wish RG would have scheduled us some bodybag games.
1724192923500.png

Saw this news about Marcus Mariota donating 140 pairs of cleants to Southern Oregon University and now I'm thinking about keeping tabs on NAIA football. It is basically D2 with a smaller athletic budget and two less required sports I think. Given that Tad brought in a NAIA player for the MBB team, I might as well keep tabs on that division. Below is the Preseason Top 25 for the NAIA. The former Boise State trucking school arm is ranked #4...maybe that is why the Broncos haven't been as dominant since spinning it off.

Some interesting FCS games this week:

Youngstown State at Villanova
Arkansas Pine Bluff versus Arkansas in Little Rock (been awhile since the Hogs played in LR)
Monmouth at Eastern Washington
Sacramento State at San Jose State
Illinois State at Iowa (Iowa HC suspended and ISU is dangerous enough to pull off the upset)
South Dakota State at Oklahoma State (OSU tends to start seasons slowly)
Portland State at Washington State (who knows what kind of mental state WSU is in given the P12's breakup)
North Dakota at Iowa State (similar to OSU)
Samford at West Georgia (WGU's first game as a FCS team since moving up from D2)
South Carolina State at Florida A&M
Idaho State at Oregon State...go Cody Hawkins!
Central Arkansas at Arkansas State.
Tarlenton State at Baylor (could Baylor's season be over before it started?)
Southern Illinois at BYU
Nichols at Louisana Tech
Southern at McNeese
Missouri State at Montana
Montana State at Utah Tech
Northern Colorado at UIW
...Bears are gonna get smoked.

Notable D2 games this week:

Thursday

Missouri Western @ Northeastern State 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
Minnesota State (11) @ Northwest Missouri (22)
Nebraska Kearney @ Chadron State
CSU Pueblo @ SD Mines
Colorado Mesa @ aTm Kingsville

Saturday

Ferris State (3) at Pittsburg State (4)

It wasn’t a shock to me to see NDSU give CU a game last Thursday but given that you probably have ESPN+ to watch CU soccer & volleyball, you can put that subscription to use by watching MVFC in addition to the Big Sky Conference. Going forward, I will just cover those two conferences and I will be biased towards the MVFC.

NDSU should have no problems beating Tennessee State in Fargo.

Missouri State appears to have had a competitive game at Montana before losing to the Griz. They play at Ball State who is playing in their season opener…upset alert?

Youngstown State played Villanova tough on the road and host Valparaiso which is a winnable game for the Penguins.

UNI whooped Valparaiso last weekend and they are playing at St Thomas who unexpectedly got whooped by Sioux Falls, a D2 team. UNI should win this one imo.

South Dakota is the latest Dakota school to try to see if they can beat a FBS school and they will be trying to win at Wisconsin.

Southern Illinois lost at BYU and has to travel to Austin Peay…don’t think that will be an easy trip.

Illinois State lost 40-0 at Iowa and travels to O-2 North Alabama. I think the Redbirds will win this one.

Indiana State is the weakest MVFC team and they go to Eastern Illinois…don’t think the Sycamores will win this one.

Butler at Murray State…the Racers just joined the MVFC so they are going to get punched in the face for a couple of seasons and Butler is one of those decent non scholly teams out there so I think Butler takes this one.

Montana travels to North Dakota to take on UND. Man if those Dakota schools were in the Big Sky.

Incarnate Word is going from beating UNC 28-7 to playing the two time defending FCS champs in SDSU. Quite a step up in quality of opponent.

Idaho visits a reeling Wyoming team who got cooked at ASU. Could UI pull off the upset in Laramie?

D2 Western Oregon visits Idaho State. I think Cody Hawkins gets the W in that case.

Cal Poly plays at Stanford. I think Stanford wins this one easily or it will be a long season with those frequent flyer miles.

Northern Colorado at CSU…I think the Rams are going to hammer UNC after getting embarrassed in Austin by getting shut out.

Drake travels to the red turf of EWU…they probably will want to leave that football field fast after losing to the Eagles.

Maine at Montana State…don’t see many CAA games against the Big Sky Conference. I think Bobcats win this one.

Portland State got wiped out by Washington State and play at Weber State. I’m surprised PSU hasn’t dropped football at this point but Weber State wins this one.

NAU is happy UA & ASU joined the Big 12 so that means bigger paychecks from the two AZ schools. The Wildcats will pile on the points while the Lumberjacks count the dollars.

Sacramento State plays at Fresno State. Not expecting an upset in this one.

Texas A&M Commerce (oh no another aTm school!) will travel to UC Davis who replaced the recently retired Dan Hawkins this season. Maybe the just former D2 school from Texas will win this one.

Some interesting FCS games this week:

Youngstown State at Villanova
Arkansas Pine Bluff versus Arkansas in Little Rock (been awhile since the Hogs played in LR)
Monmouth at Eastern Washington
Sacramento State at San Jose State
Illinois State at Iowa (Iowa HC suspended and ISU is dangerous enough to pull off the upset)
South Dakota State at Oklahoma State (OSU tends to start seasons slowly)
Portland State at Washington State (who knows what kind of mental state WSU is in given the P12's breakup)
North Dakota at Iowa State (similar to OSU)
Samford at West Georgia (WGU's first game as a FCS team since moving up from D2)
South Carolina State at Florida A&M
Idaho State at Oregon State...go Cody Hawkins!
Central Arkansas at Arkansas State.
Tarlenton State at Baylor (could Baylor's season be over before it started?)
Southern Illinois at BYU
Nichols at Louisana Tech
Southern at McNeese
Missouri State at Montana
Montana State at Utah Tech
Northern Colorado at UIW
...Bears are gonna get smoked.
You forgot Idaho at Oregon

After MtnBuff mentioned about watching RMAC football games online for free, I decided to watch a game on demand so I went with the recent CSU Pueblo-SD Mines game. The production quality might not be that great but I thought the SDM video crew did a decent job. I liked how they had the actual game camera angle behind the SDM bench and then for replays, they would show video from behind the CSU Pueblo bench. Again nice job by the SDM video crew and I'm going to comment on the production quality from each specific school.

One thing I didn't think of was how much less commercials there were on the feed compared to a D1 game. Another thing I noticed was that I could just hit the right arrow button to speed up the game especially between plays, breaks, halftime, and perhaps video reviews (don't know if that is the case in D2 football). That means I will be more likely to watch D2 games on demand during the week.

Both teams appeared to be more pass heavy with running games that were okay.

CSU Pueblo won 35-6 but they got some stuff to clean up before a visit from ranked UT Permian Basin. The Thunderwolves missed a FG and turned the ball over twice in the redzone which means 17 points left on the field and that was all in the first half. There was also a CSUP fumble in SDM territory that should have been overturned if there was replay reviews. The Thunderwolves D did good against the run but they got to improve the pass rush somewhat.

Wife is having surgery tomorrow so I'll be sure to watch several more D2 games and I plan on watching CO Mines & CO Mesa in that case.

Damn, KC scored way too easily. I look forward to Mahomes retiring.
Thats Good Robert Deniro GIF

Focus is on Idaho, Montana, Dakota, and UNC.

Last week's FCS games:

Idaho 17 WYO 13
Idaho State 50 Western Oregon 10
North Dakota 27 Montana 24
CSU 38 UNC 17
Montana State 41 Maine 24
Wisconsin 27 South Dakota 13
NDSU 52 Tenn State 3
SDSU 45 UIW 24

This week's games

Idaho State at North Dakota
South Dakota at Portland State
NDSU at ETSU
Augustana (SD) at SDSU
UAlbany at Idaho
Abilene Christian at UNC
Morehead at Montana

MSU has a bye week.

I didn't see a mention of Colorado Western beating Midwestern State unless I missed that one. Good win!

For this week's RMAC games:

Mines at Washburn
Central Washington at Mesa
AZ Christian at Ft. Lewis
Grand Valley State at CSUP
Adams State at UTPB
Western CO at West aTm

Back