What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Phillip Lindsay Really is the first undrafted rookie in the ProBowl Thread

Because of one under-the-radar recruit who ended up being a great player at a mediocre program and went Undrafted to the NFL? Certainly you can see that Lindsay is the exception, not the rule in recruiting, right?
Plus didn’t he blow his knee out his senior year in HS?

never-tell-me-the-odds-gif-4.gif

The most important thing in college football. Wow.

I've been mulling that over too. Perhaps the most critical element that correlates to success. However, the game is what I care about as a fan. The rest of the stuff is correlated to the sport, but it isn't the sport.
I trust that the two of you can understand what Duff was saying as it relates to the context of the conversation/post he was replying to.

Sure. About as much as i understand Sinkratz, Jalepeño, and the others.

I don’t understand the need for dig at the end, though.

I trust that the two of you can understand what Duff was saying as it relates to the context of the conversation/post he was replying to.
I saw two things:

1. A recruiting outlier is a strange reason to quit following recruiting.

2. An implication that fans should follow recruiting because of its impact on success.

My point would be that there is a danger in confusing the game with the elements of success that contribute to the game.

Ultimately it's up to each fan to decide how involved he/she wants to become in following the sport. About a decade ago I really got into recruiting and now I don't. It feels weird, to me, following the decisions of children, and hanging my hopes on their choices. I'll leave the sausage making to the coaches. I just really enjoy the games, and don't worry so much about what led up to the moment the teams meet on the field.

That was the point I was trying to make. Sorry if it was unclear to you.

I saw two things:

2. An implication that fans should follow recruiting because of its impact on success.

My point would be that there is a danger in confusing the game with the elements of success that contribute to the game.

Ultimately it's up to each fan to decide how involved he/she wants to become in following the sport. About a decade ago I really got into recruiting and now I don't. It feels weird, to me, following the decisions of children, and hanging my hopes on their choices. I'll leave the sausage making to the coaches. I just really enjoy the games, and don't worry so much about what led up to the moment the teams meet on the field.

I started following it more closely after I saw consistently ****ty football on the field. I will stop worrying about it nearly as much when the product on the field is consistently good.

I saw two things:

Your point was crystal clear to me, but I'm not sure if the point of Duff's response to Jalepeno was clear to you.

I started following it more closely after I saw consistently ****ty football on the field. I will stop worrying about it nearly as much when the product on the field is consistently good.

As an involved fan it is a part of following your team. Today's recruiting is pretty easy to tie to tomorrow's success or failure.

A lot of fan's don't have the time or interest level to follow it closely but that doesn't mean it doesn't matter.

Pretty easy to see the correlation. Coaches who recruit well win games, coaches who win games either keep their jobs or advance to better jobs. Coaches who don't recruit well lose games and get fired.

Recruiting a few outliers who outperform their rankings isn't enough to change any of the above statement.

I'd be glad to listen if anyone wants to give me examples of coaches who are regularly out recruited, especially on the LOS, and who still consistently win games. I'm having a hard time thinking of any.

I'll leave the sausage making to the coaches. I just really enjoy the games, and don't worry so much about what led up to the moment the teams meet on the field.

Totally agree...leave the sausage making to the coaches and see the outcome on game day.

Maybe I need you to explain it to me. What was the point of Duff's response to Jalapeño?
The conversation seemed to be trending in the direction of downplaying the importance of recruiting because Lindsay was lightly recruited and many people here were wrong in their assessment of him. Jalapeno saying "That is why I don't pay much attention to recruiting" seemed to mean, "because the AllBuffs experts and other programs got it wrong with Lindsay, I don't put much stock into the recruiting process", to which Duff rebuffed.

The conversation seemed to be trending in the direction of downplaying the importance of recruiting because Lindsay was lightly recruited and many people here were wrong in their assessment of him. Jalapeno saying "That is why I don't pay much attention to recruiting" seemed to mean, "because the AllBuffs experts and other programs got it wrong with Lindsay, I don't put much stock into the recruiting process", to which Duff rebuffed.
Please see my first point in post #100.

Please see my first point in post #100.
I'm glad the first point in post #100 acknowledged that, but your second point continued your perspective from post #97 and I don't think anyone was implying that everyone should actively follow recruiting; just not to downplay its importance because of one outlier.

That is why I don't pay much attention to recruiting" seemed to mean, "because the AllBuffs experts and other programs got it wrong with Lindsay, I don't put much stock into the recruiting process", to which Duff rebuffed.

A Duff rebuff you say?

giphy.gif

Last edited:
ESPN’s surprise players to watch this season:
22. Denver Broncos

2017 record: 5-11
Post-draft ranking: 21
rd-arrow.png

RB Phillip Lindsay. The Broncos have a crowd of youth at the position -- Devontae Booker, in his third season, is the oldest player on the running back depth chart -- and Lindsay is the undrafted rookie in the mix. But he has shown explosiveness, good vision in the open field and good work as a receiver and has presented himself as a potential option as a kickoff returner. He led the team with 40 receiving yards in the preseason opener and certainly has the Broncos' attention at a spot where the decisions will be difficult. -- Jeff Legwold

Back