What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Rocky Mountain Showdown Pregame Thread - "Must Win for CSU"

CSU was good in the game last year. They always have a few dudes.

But Stephens in classic Stephens fashion seems to forget that CSU has lost the last 6. SIX. While CU is trying to emerge from the worst 15 years in its history.
The essentially scheduled a bye in front of us with UNC coming in but they still could be pretty beat up from their opener at Texas.

The know they stand zero chance against the Horns, UNC should be a walkover for them but just as they get up for the Buffs have to wonder how many of the UNC kids are going to want to prove that CSU should have recruited them.

Bottom line as always is how seriously the Buffs take the game. If CU comes in with some focus and takes CSU as a team they need to put out an effort for the game shouldn't be particularly close. If CU doesn't we know CSU will and they will make a game of it.

After last season with a close final score, with the cheap shot on Hunter, with the sheep players and fans running their mouths if CU doesn't take this seriously then we have a major problem. I don't think Prime let's that happen.

CSU will play out of their minds and keep it close in the first half but eventually CU will make some big plays that break iit open and we see the Sheep in "here we go again" mode lose their edge and take their beating.

The essentially scheduled a bye in front of us with UNC coming in but they still could be pretty beat up from their opener at Texas.

The know they stand zero chance against the Horns, UNC should be a walkover for them but just as they get up for the Buffs have to wonder how many of the UNC kids are going to want to prove that CSU should have recruited them.

Bottom line as always is how seriously the Buffs take the game. If CU comes in with some focus and takes CSU as a team they need to put out an effort for the game shouldn't be particularly close. If CU doesn't we know CSU will and they will make a game of it.

After last season with a close final score, with the cheap shot on Hunter, with the sheep players and fans running their mouths if CU doesn't take this seriously then we have a major problem. I don't think Prime let's that happen.

CSU will play out of their minds and keep it close in the first half but eventually CU will make some big plays that break iit open and we see the Sheep in "here we go again" mode lose their edge and take their beating.
Rick scheduling two rivalry games back to back in back to back years is a massive fail. Especially, when those two games are both on the road

Rick scheduling two rivalry games back to back in back to back years is a massive fail. Especially, when those two games are both on the road
Meh, yhe Pac 12 didn't allow late season non con games, so there was a three week window to get two games scheduled in each season, and who knows what the conversations were like to Nebraska and CSU to get the home and homes scheduled. They may have had to work around their other home/away schedules as well.

The real **** up was obviously scheduling NDSU. Probably paying them a decent amount to come here for a one off with no upside for CU and when it was scheduled, pre-Prime, there wasn't going to be major fan turnout for it.

Boy it's almost as if Rick is a one trick pony, with that trick being fundraising, and he is spectacularly bad at every other aspect of the job.

- contract management/negotiation
- scheduling
- Hiring coaches (when he doesn't have a TS telling him to do better than Bronco)
- foresight (literally being on the NIL committee for the NCAA and still not having CU in a position to compete in the new landscape)
- Student outreach
- Sport management outside of football

Meh, yhe Pac 12 didn't allow late season non con games, so there was a three week window to get two games scheduled in each season, and who knows what the conversations were like to Nebraska and CSU to get the home and homes scheduled. They may have had to work around their other home/away schedules as well.

The real **** up was obviously scheduling NDSU. Probably paying them a decent amount to come here for a one off with no upside for CU and when it was scheduled, pre-Prime, there wasn't going to be major fan turnout for it.
I don't want to make it an excuse or bash Rick, but it is certainly doable, or at least spread the games out over 4 years.

I can imagine the only thought was the revenue and getting the games on the schedule at all costs. Doesn't matter now, but I presume this is a non-starter for most all other P4 programs.

I don't want to make it an excuse or bash Rick, but it is certainly doable, or at least spread the games out over 4 years.

I can imagine the only thought was the revenue and getting the games on the schedule at all costs. Doesn't matter now, but I presume this is a non-starter for most all other P4 programs.
It’s an average G5 program and a below average P4 program. Rivalry games or not, we’re not talking about a murderers row of non con scheduling here

Boy it's almost as if Rick is a one trick pony, with that trick being fundraising, and he is spectacularly bad at every other aspect of the job.

- Hiring coaches (when he doesn't have a TS telling him to do better than Bronco)

Not sure this is entirely fair. He's made several hires:

• Skiing- one NC from his hire and the new one appears to be good (2nd place finish last year)
  • WBB- JR Payne seems to be a pretty good coach judging by last two seasons
  • VB- Mahoney seems to have done a pretty good job leading the Buffs through a pretty rugged P12 and into the tourney several times
  • FB- Tucker was a good hire, Dorrell was terrible, and Prime is a HR
HIs women's tennis and men's golf hires seem to be bad. Too early to tell on CC/Track, but the resume is impressive.

Not sure this is entirely fair. He's made several hires:

• Skiing- one NC from his hire and the new one appears to be good (2nd place finish last year)
  • WBB- JR Payne seems to be a pretty good coach judging by last two seasons
  • VB- Mahoney seems to have done a pretty good job leading the Buffs through a pretty rugged P12 and into the tourney several times
  • FB- Tucker was a good hire, Dorrell was terrible, and Prime is a HR
HIs women's tennis and men's golf hires seem to be bad. Too early to tell on CC/Track, but the resume is impressive.
I could maybe give you skiing. But CU has been good at skiing for so long, it's pretty much the premier school to go to so we have a built in advantage there. JR is also good. VB, I mean I guess but they have been relatively average. I wouldn't say a C+ hire is deserving of praise. Dorrell was possibly one of the worst hires in P5 football history, not just CU. And as for Prime, RG wasn't even going after him until Saliman basically told him to grow a pair and find a candidate that can get us back to winning. He was about to make a C tier hire in Mendenhall.

But CU has been good at skiing for so long, it's pretty much the premier school to go to so we have a built in advantage there
arrested development banana stand GIF

Back