What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Rocky Mountain Showdown Pregame Thread - "Must Win for CSU"

Status
Not open for further replies.
If everything breaks just right, CSU could be a better than average D-1 program.

CSU had a potential CFB HOF coach and was never a “giant” during that time. It’s insane that the believe (and state it as an obvious fact) they are a sleeping giant. I suppose it’s all relative and maybe they think they are a sleeping giant among the G5 level?

This goes back to when they were building the new stadium and they thought that would solve their attendance woes and get them into a P5 (at the time) conference. But it's been proven over time that they simply don't have the support despite having more alums in the state and are in a rapidly growing town. There's a reason that former MWC schools like Utah and BYU got into a power conference and they didn't.

This goes back to when they were building the new stadium and they thought that would solve their attendance woes and get them into a P5 (at the time) conference. But it's been proven over time that they simply don't have the support despite having more alums in the state and are in a rapidly growing town. There's a reason that former MWC schools like Utah and BYU got into a power conference and they didn't.
I would say it’s more about the fact that they will always be the back seat program in a state that isn’t CFB crazed so there’s just never been a good reason for a power conference to add them. I think it differs from Utah and BYU because of BYUs national built in audience and Utah’s run of G5 success at the right time.

I would say it’s more about the fact that they will always be the back seat program in a state that isn’t CFB crazed so there’s just never been a good reason for a power conference to add them. I think it differs from Utah and BYU because of BYUs national built in audience and Utah’s run of G5 success at the right time.
Plus the fact that there's no NFL team in Utah means that all local football attention is directed at the college level.

I actually don't think csu has any excuse to not be a decent G5 program. But with the exception of a good run with a great coach, they've always been a bad G5 program.

I'm pretty sure that Wyoming is historically better than they are, and that's a school that has zero business playing D1 football, let alone somehow managing to almost be average.

Yeah, good thing they solved their attendance problems with that new 41,000 capacity stadium!

Avg. CSU home attendance)
2016 (last year in Hughes): 27,600
2017 (first year of Canvas): 32,062
2018: 29,504
2019: 23,338
2020: N/A
2021: 27,096
2022: 26,891
2023: 26,509

Discounting the COVID year, 6 seasons of Canvas stadium, and only 2 of them outdrew the last year of Hughes.

Fun Fact: Of the 10 seasons with the highest average attendance in CSU history, 8 of them took place in Hughes stadium

It's going to be awesome when they get a sold out crowd for our game, and then STILL somehow finish with a sub 30K average. Home schedule besides CU: UNC, UTEP, SJSU, UNM, Wyoming, Utah State. Woof.

This is the whole issue.

They have everything that should lead them to be a decent P4 level program but they just don't have the passion. Their alums and the surrounding community just don't care enough to make it happen. @skibum mentions Wyoming which has a much smaller population base, smaller alumni base, smaller economic base but the people of Wyoming care about the program and stick with it even when it isn't doing well.

Colorado isn't like the southern states or midwest, college football isn't what a lot of people place as a high priority. For other than a limited number of core fans CSU just doesn't inspire enough interest to maintain that level of program.

As much as we wish otherwise CU is far behind the Broncos and other pro sports here and even more people would rather spend a fall Saturday in the mountains or something similar. We sell 50,000 tickets each game while others are at 75,000 or even 100,000 for an FCS opponent.

Even the AFA has a much stronger level of support than CSU although they have the military support.

If everything breaks just right, CSU could be a better than average D-1 program.

I actually think that "sleeping giant", if taken in the G5 context, isn't that far fetched.

BUT, in the history of their program, there has been exactly one decade in which they have not stepped on their dicks. I don't foresee a time when that changes.

I should add that they didn't even complete the Sonny era without stepping on their dicks, because they let him stay too long and ****ed up his transition.

As much as we wish otherwise CU is far behind the Broncos and other pro sports here and even more people would rather spend a fall Saturday in the mountains or something similar. We sell 50,000 tickets each game while others are at 75,000 or even 100,000 for an FCS opponent.

Even the AFA has a much stronger level of support than CSU although they have the military support.

OTOH I'm I'm thrilled with our support when I see other P4 programs like SMU or Indiana tonight with similar/smaller sized stadiums that have a bunch of empty seats. Granted our current attendance is fueled by CP but even during the nearly-two decade run of sucking we still drew pretty well.

OTOH I'm I'm thrilled with our support when I see other P4 programs like SMU or Indiana tonight with similar/smaller sized stadiums that have a bunch of empty seats. Granted our current attendance is fueled by CP but even during the nearly-two decade run of sucking we still drew pretty well.
We do draw well. Even when we had a trash product on the field we got more fans out for less attractive opponents than CSU and lots of other schools get for good ones.

You also have to take raw attendance numbers with a grain of salt. There are some schools that have higher attendance than CU but far less revenue because their average revenue per seat is lower.

Interesting data from Statista comparing average season ticket prices of selected schools, CU on top of the list.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1130041/ticket-price-ncaa-football-team/

1725672773949.png

We do draw well. Even when we had a trash product on the field we got more fans out for less attractive opponents than CSU and lots of other schools get for good ones.

You also have to take raw attendance numbers with a grain of salt. There are some schools that have higher attendance than CU but far less revenue because their average revenue per seat is lower.

Interesting data from Statista comparing average season ticket prices of selected schools, CU on top of the list.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1130041/ticket-price-ncaa-football-team/

View attachment 75582

These appear to be prices on the secondary market though. Also, this statistic says these prices are for selected games, so they probably picked certain games which had the most demand.

These appear to be prices on the secondary market though. Also, this statistic says these prices are for selected games, so they probably picked certain games which had the most demand.
Reflective though on what people are willing to pay to get in. When prices are high on the secondary market it is an indicator to the program that they can charge higher prices.

Much better than a few years ago when CSU had some promotion like $5 and a soda can (sponsoring brand) getting you a ticket to the game.

We keep hearing about the fuskers "sell out" streak but over the past couple years that has only been continued because they have sold thousands of tickets to some big money boosters for a buck or two per seat.

If a team sells 40,000 seats at an average of $200 a seat they are much better off than the school that sells 60,000 at an average of $100 a seat and not even comparable to the school that sells 26,000 at an average of $60 a seat.

Went over to Ramnation just now and for the most part they are not thrilled with what they saw against UNC.
Horton also got hurt. Something about his hammy. We all know how tricky those can be.
I would not cry if Horton wasn't 100%.

Went over to Ramnation just now and for the most part they are not thrilled with what they saw against UNC.
Horton also got hurt. Something about his hammy. We all know how tricky those can be.
I would not cry if Horton wasn't 100%.

Heard Norvell after the game, reading between the lines he knows that they didn't dominate against a bad team that they should have easily dominated.

There might have been a little bit of them getting from UNC what we get from them, guys playing above their heads against the school they thought disrespected them by not offering them out of HS. Still UNC is bad, CSU's backups should have been able to dominate and didn't.

This game is absolutely huge. Guys banged up, just got punched in the mouth and very little that was expected from this year's offense has materialized.

And something that I don't think I can overemphasize is that when a team draws this much hype and attention, it gets everyone's A game. No one we face is going to treat like an ordinary week, let alone CSU. There's no opportunity to have an even keeled, workmanlike game for this team.

Gonna have to forge in a hot fire. That can make for brittle steel if anything goes wrong.

This game is absolutely huge. Guys banged up, just got punched in the mouth and very little that was expected from this year's offense has materialized.

And something that I don't think I can overemphasize is that when a team draws this much hype and attention, it gets everyone's A game. No one we face is going to treat like an ordinary week, let alone CSU. There's no opportunity to have an even keeled, workmanlike game for this team.

Gonna have to forge in a hot fire. That can make for brittle steel if anything goes wrong.
So much truth to this. Last year we came out overconfident "we are going to put 100 on them", it will be interesting to see if that happens this week.

This game is massive for bowl hopes. Need to respond from poor play and very poor coaching. Need to see the coaches change the approach on offense and the kids need to respond. Get the ball out of SS hands in 2 seconds with slants screens whatever. Quick hitting routes and cut the massive drop back plays. The line cannot sustain, SS does not read the field fast enough and the routes are taking way too long to develop.

Inferior opponent will help but you know we will have to be better adjusting to a hostile environment because while not Memorial, it will be hostile. Need to take the crowd out early and not let them get momentum

So much truth to this. Last year we came out overconfident "we are going to put 100 on them", it will be interesting to see if that happens this week.
For what happens this week andin game, in my opinion it all depends on the coaching or lack there of when it comes to preparing, watching film of CSU, showing players keys.. making a solid game plan and putting players and team in best place to succeed. If properly coached and prepared we should expect and see a CU victory.

This game is massive for bowl hopes. Need to respond from poor play and very poor coaching. Need to see the coaches change the approach on offense and the kids need to respond. Get the ball out of SS hands in 2 seconds with slants screens whatever. Quick hitting routes and cut the massive drop back plays. The line cannot sustain, SS does not read the field fast enough and the routes are taking way too long to develop.

Inferior opponent will help but you know we will have to be better adjusting to a hostile environment because while not Memorial, it will be hostile. Need to take the crowd out early and not let them get momentum
It is a must win game so the remainder of the season isn’t garbage…

Any update on Tory Horton? He left the last game with a lower leg injury. Would be a massive loss for them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back