What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Texas A&M Pregame / Game Thread

Why does nice matter at all? Neither of those guys were hired because they are sweethearts. Hire winners, if they happen to have a calmer demeanor, fine, but that should be almost irrelevant in the discussion.
Would you hire Shaw, Campbell, or Fitzgerald - OVER - Sark, Urban Meyer, or Nick Rolovich
Nice does not matter as much as Recruiting or Winning agreed, but we are Colorado and not Texas
Tucker tricked us all
Frost is a douche
I think that Dorrell represents the school and the players very well, but he must fully appreciate what College Football is today
Wilson is a good DC right now, and if more young and hungry assistants/recruiters can be found, so be it
RG and LC know what is needed, amazed they do not figure it out

Nice does not have to mean poor results!
David Shaw and Pat Fitzgerald are my two examples
I think that Karl Dorrell has that type of personality
However, he MUST recruit the best possible players to CU
Hiring Turley was nothing less than brilliant, cause we flat out looked bigger and faster
Now, if we are thinking we can recruit and/or build a great Defense, then we have to figure out what kind of offense will be successful and not a drag
Dual Purpose QB's, Big Stanford type of OL, Great Running Backs, Zone Read, Play Action, Tight Ends
I actually feel so much better as a whole after yesterday, but at the same time resigned to remaining nothing more than a 5-7 program
Ugggh, being a Buffs Fan is tough
It never ceases to amaze me how people can say we look bigger and faster. You guys are really good at discerning what is indiscernible to me. I’d have to see actual metrics. I can’t tell looking at guys in pads. :LOL:

Would you hire Shaw, Campbell, or Fitzgerald - OVER - Sark, Urban Meyer, or Nick Rolovich
Nice does not matter as much as Recruiting or Winning agreed, but we are Colorado and not Texas
Tucker tricked us all
Frost is a douche
I think that Dorrell represents the school and the players very well, but he must fully appreciate what College Football is today
Wilson is a good DC right now, and if more young and hungry assistants/recruiters can be found, so be it
RG and LC know what is needed, amazed they do not figure it out
Losing does not represent the school well. You named a bunch of random coaches - some are good, some are s**t and it has nothing to do with whether they are nice or not. I would take Shaw, Campbell, Fitzgerald, Sark, Urban and even, yes Tucker over Dorrell or MacIntyre because winning matters more than anything.

Frost is a laughingstock because he team is terrible, not because he’s a douche. You can be a douche if you win games.

Nice does not have to mean poor results!
David Shaw and Pat Fitzgerald are my two examples
I think that Karl Dorrell has that type of personality
However, he MUST recruit the best possible players to CU
Hiring Turley was nothing less than brilliant, cause we flat out looked bigger and faster
Now, if we are thinking we can recruit and/or build a great Defense, then we have to figure out what kind of offense will be successful and not a drag
Dual Purpose QB's, Big Stanford type of OL, Great Running Backs, Zone Read, Play Action, Tight Ends
I actually feel so much better as a whole after yesterday, but at the same time resigned to remaining nothing more than a 5-7 program
Ugggh, being a Buffs Fan is tough
I would much rather go 5-7 with an identity as a smash mouth program than go 5-7 with an identity as a finesse team. In fact, the only case where my preference doesn't matter is if we're winning 9+ every year. Do that and they can run air raid offense with a 2-2-7 base defense for all I care. Short of that success, I need a team that beats the snot out of opponents regardless of result and causes them to lose the week after playing us.

Couldn‘t watch the game live due to a wedding. I did check in on the game periodically so I knew the outcome and read most of the reactions here prior to watching the DVR replay. My two cents:
1. Ray and Wiley struggled all game; were terrible in the 4th qtr. They are significant liabilities and their play affected the outcome. Wray played okay, not great.
2. Consecutive QB sneaks in the 2nd qtr: the first was an odd 3rd down call, the second was a complete disaster; proved to be a game changer.
3. B Lewis played like a freshman; locked in on receivers giving aTm easy diagnosis on key plays in the second half. Some of those were due to pressure, some were on B Lewis and his inexperience. Unfortunately, they all came at the wrong time and were pivot points in the second half.
4. Maybe I need to watch the game again but, honestly, I didn’t think the play callIng was overly conservative; maybe it became predictable and easier to defend as the game wore on...it’s difficult for me to tell as I’m not an expert on spotting that. Edit: In addition to the two sneaks, there were a few key third downs where routes were short of the sticks. That’s either poor execution or poor play design.
5. The defense was outstanding; only giving up a handful of key plays in the 4th quarter; went punch for punch with aTm; decent if not stellar QB pressure.
6. The buffs bullied and battered aTm. They will feel the effects of that game.
7. aTm suffered from their backup QB not being ready to play; he missed A LOT of throws due in equal parts of being harassed and poor execution.
8. As the 4th qtr wore on Calzada and the aTm defense found juusst enough rhythm at the right times to snatch the victory.
9. Gut wrenching loss; could have and should have won the game; having average RG and RT play wins the game...didn’t get anything close to it; just didn’t have enough play calling and play making at critical junctures when they were needed most. That’s what separates winners and losers in games like yesterdays.

Last edited:
I’m hopeful that CU outperforms and some of the ASU/UoA recruits that CU lost out on come to their senses and decide to flip when those programs flop (well, when ASU flops, UoA might go winless

Ehhhh let's not go there yet-They have Northern Arizona and god-awful Washington at home. :LOL:

Why does nice matter at all? Neither of those guys were hired because they are sweethearts. Hire winners, if they happen to have a calmer demeanor, fine, but that should be almost irrelevant in the discussion.
Absolutely.

Coaches are hired to win games, not to be nice.

We have had a number of coaches in the past couple decades who were personally nice guys, who were good family men, who you would want as a neighbor.

KD is from what I know personally a very good person, so was MM and DH. That isn't what they are paid for though.

Does that mean win at all cost? No. I don't want a coach who's methods of winning are going to eventually embarrass the university. I don't want to go Baylor or Penn State, or Michigan State or Miami but does my coach have to be nice or likeable or a guy I'd like to share a beer with. Nope. Just win games.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but if the field goal was good we might be having a different conversation. I cringed a little when KD called him Iceman. No one gets to be called Iceman until proving it in actual games. I bet Price would have made it.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but if the field goal was good we might be having a different conversation. I cringed a little when KD called him Iceman. No one gets to be called Iceman until proving it in actual games. I bet Price would have made it.
Would have been helpful if we had run the ball to the left on that third and long to put the ball between the hashes. Even if we hadnt gained a yard, the kick would have been shorter and easier because of the geometry.

lol at William Gardner on the BuffStampede podcast saying he thinks Mustafa Johnson will have a hard time getting his spot back from Na'Im Rodman when he returns. IN before he starts talking about Na'Im as a day 1/2 pick. Love Rodman, but Mustafa Johnson is a talent upgrade.

lol at William Gardner on the BuffStampede podcast saying he thinks Mustafa Johnson will have a hard time getting his spot back from Na'Im Rodman when he returns. IN before he starts talking about Na'Im as a day 1/2 pick. Love Rodman, but Mustafa Johnson is a talent upgrade.
I love Adam. I’m a proud subscriber. I read a lot of his stuff and listen to almost every podcast. That said, every time I hear the phrase “I’m joined by William Gardner” I turn it off and mark is as listened to.

Just got a chance to check in on this thread.

Went to the game and had a blast. That was a fun atmosphere.

Defense absolutely balled out on Saturday. Although, that A&M backup QB was not very good and not accurate at all. He was missing dudes all over.

Missing that fourth down play in the second quarter was so dumb. How do you run the same play two times in a row? I loved going for it there, but you can't run the same play twice, especially when the first one didn't work. I told my buddy that play could be the difference in the game and it ended up being just that. How Arias keeps getting trotted out there is mind numbing. We were screaming at Chev all game. This team deserves better than what they are getting at OC. Chev won't get fired during the season, but at worst he needs help with everything involved with the offense.

I like this team and think they can still have a very good season, but defensive depth is still going to be the difference. You saw that play out when Lang went out.

Also, Landman is still an absolute stud. This defense is going to look way different next year without him.

His boy Lytle (who he truly thinks is getting drafted) about got Lewis murdered on the first play of the game.

Mustafa is just better. period.

That said it will be a real plus to have two guys at the position that can confidently be rotated in and out to stay fresh.

Mustafa is a better player but a fresh Rodman is better than a tired Mustafa and an offensive lineman who has battled with Mustafa, then with a fresh Rodman, isn't going to be happy to see a rested Mustafa come back in.

Beyond resetting the TE's, I can hardly remember any
This is Lewis’ second season in the program and in this offense. I don’t really care about his lack of game experience. If the reason they aren’t doing much/any of that is because he isn’t able to grasp the playbook well enough, then the priority next offseason needs to be finding his replacement.

If the reason they aren’t doing it is because Chev isn’t smart enough to design those concepts or just doesn’t care about them, then he needs to go now

So this depressed me when I was looking at the CU record book to verify my memory of 4 CU coaches in last 50 years with top 5 ranked teams.

There's a little box at the bottom of one of the pages: CU coaches with best record against ranked teams.

#1?

Mel Tucker. 2-2.

So this depressed me when I was looking at the CU record book to verify my memory of 4 CU coaches in last 50 years with top 5 ranked teams.

There's a little box at the bottom of one of the pages: CU coaches with best record against ranked teams.

#1?

Mel Tucker. 2-2.
Best winning percentage?

Clayton is gone...the rest of the season is a portal audition
Ya'll have already pointed out the obvious
With 3:00 left in the game.. a win meant a ranking...pooof like a fart in the wind.

Back