What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

OSU game fallout thread

RG: “Mac, Come over here by the door. We need to talk.”
MM: “So, what’s up Rick? The players didn’t come through today, did they?”
View attachment 28048
I had a good gif but it was too large to upload. Haha.
tenor.gif

a wee bit of a difference between Leavitt and Schiano. Pass on Schiano.
You’re right, there is a difference - an investigation found that Leavitt put his hands on a player, lied about it and tried to cover it up and was subsequently fired. Schiano was never found to have done anything wrong - he was alleged by one person (who wasn’t there and was relaying a 3rd party account) to have witnessed something horrendous. That claim has since been refuted under oath.

i believe football is a very emotional game and that the attitude of the players can make a huge difference. I haven't seen reason to believe that HCMM is a good "fire 'em up" motivator following a devastating loss.

I don't think too much should be read into it, but multiple comments from posters watching the bench regarding perceived attitude of the team is also concerning. And reports of twitter from at least one player touting his own stats in that loss do not add confidence.

summary: I think there's reason to be concerned, but odds of going 0-4 are likely slim.
It’s emotional all right. I couldn’t stop crying last Saturday.

You’re right, there is a difference - an investigation found that Leavitt put his hands on a player, lied about it and tried to cover it up and was subsequently fired. Schiano was never found to have done anything wrong - he was alleged by one person (who wasn’t there and was relaying a 3rd party account) to have witnessed something horrendous. That claim has since been refuted under oath.

Still not touching Schiano-I want somebody with experience in this league and who can put a staff together that can recruit in Texas and California. I'm not sure he can do that-he's never coached at a university west of Columbus, Ohio.

Still not touching Schiano-I want somebody with experience in this league and who can put a staff together that can recruit in Texas and California. I'm not sure he can do that-he's never coached at a university west of Columbus, Ohio.
You don’t think Schiano could put together a staff?

Who fits your description then?

You don’t think Schiano could put together a staff?

Who fits your description then?

In the west when he's never coached in this part of the country? No, I don't. I also don't think he's that special of a coach-He finished a game over .500 at Rutgers (by the time he left the Big East had been gutted), was an absolute disaster of an NFL coach, and his defense this year at Ohio State is mediocre at best (T-69th in the country-20 spots lower than we are, and I think we all saw what Purdue did to it two weeks ago didn't we?). Can we stop throwing spaghetti at the wall with names like his?

Sinkratz-My short list for right now is Jeff Tedford, Jimmy Lake, Blake Anderson, and Seth Littrell. I'd talk to Brent Venables if he was interested in this gig too.

In the west when he's never coached in this part of the country? No, I don't. I also don't think he's that special of a coach-He finished a game over .500 at Rutgers (by the time he left the Big East had been gutted), was an absolute disaster of an NFL coach, and his defense this year at Ohio State is mediocre at best (T-69th in the country-20 spots lower than we are, and I think we all saw what Purdue did to it two weeks ago didn't we?). Can we stop throwing spaghetti at the wall with names like his?

Sinkratz-My short list for right now is Jeff Tedford, Jimmy Lake, Blake Anderson, and Seth Littrell. I'd talk to Brent Venables if he was interested in this gig too.
If you don’t think what Schiano did at Rutgers (a college football wasteland) was an incredible job of coaching over a sustained period then you are blind. His NFL experience is irrelevant.

Nevertheless I find it odd you are more confident in a guy like Litrell than Schiano putting together a staff. I have no reason to believe Littrell has the connections to put a P5 level staff together.

Also Venables and Anderson have never coached “in this league” which was one of your stated criteria.

If you don’t think what Schiano did at Rutgers (a college football wasteland) was an incredible job of coaching over a sustained period then you are blind. His NFL experience is irrelevant.

Nevertheless I find it odd you are more confident in a guy like Litrell than Schiano putting together a staff. I have no reason to believe Littrell has the connections to put a P5 level staff together.

Also Venables and Anderson have never coached “in this league” which was one of your stated criteria.

Incredible job of coaching? Sure, but you know who else that sounds like-the guy who has this job at the moment. San Jose State was a dump when he got there, and they're pretty much back to where they were pre-MacIntyre. As much as you guys want to hang him out to dry, you've gotta give him this-CU is much better off now than it was when he got here-not saying much, but still.

If you read my post, I said my other criteria was somebody who can recruit in Texas. Brent Venables was at Oklahoma for 12 years, and K-State for 6 before that. I have ZERO doubt he could put a staff together that could recruit in TX, and I also don't have any doubt that he could get a solid offensive mind to call plays for him. What I wonder about with him is this-he's talked a lot about how happy he is in his current role, and he's been a DC for 20 years. Does he want to run his own show?

As far as Anderson, Arkansas State gets kids out of Texas and Louisiana yearly, and they also recruit California. Anderson has also been there for five years. He's from Texas, and he's coached in TX, MS, and LA (every single flipping program in those states recruits Texas). He can put a staff together with connections in that state if we went that way.

Incredible job of coaching? Sure, but you know who else that sounds like-the guy who has this job at the moment. San Jose State was a dump when he got there, and they're pretty much back to where they were pre-MacIntyre. As much as you guys want to hang him out to dry, you've gotta give him this-CU is much better off now than it was when he got here-not saying much, but still.
Rutgers is a P5 program that Schiano elevated, while MM elevated a Mountain West program. There's a very large difference. Also, nobody is saying CU is not better off now, than in 2012. I think that's crystal clear.

If you read my post, I said my other criteria was somebody who can recruit in Texas. Brent Venables was at Oklahoma for 12 years, and K-State for 6 before that. I have ZERO doubt he could put a staff together that could recruit in TX, and I also don't have any doubt that he could get a solid offensive mind to call plays for him. What I wonder about with him is this-he's talked a lot about how happy he is in his current role, and he's been a DC for 20 years. Does he want to run his own show?

As far as Anderson, Arkansas State gets kids out of Texas and Louisiana yearly, and they also recruit California. Anderson has also been there for five years. He's from Texas, and he's coached in TX, MS, and LA (every single flipping program in those states recruits Texas). He can put a staff together with connections in that state if we went that way.
Dude, you’re kidding right? Mac coached a G5 school to respectability for 3 years while Schiano coached a P5 doormat to respectability for 11 years. Big difference.

And I did read your post, you said this:

I want somebody with experience in this league and who can put a staff together that can recruit in Texas and California.

“and” not “or”. Anderson and Venables do not meet that criteria, but go on.

Rutgers is a P5 program that Schiano elevated, while MM elevated a Mountain West program. There's a very large difference. Also, nobody is saying CU is not better off now, than in 2012. I think that's crystal clear.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/10/3/17928026/ohio-state-defense-greg-schiano

Again, no experience west of the Mississippi. I have more faith in Littrell being able to put a staff together that would work here than I do him. He's had total control of the defense at Ohio State for the last couple years-and Clemson and Washington (they seem like appropriate comparisons given we've talked about both Brent Venables and Jimmy Lake here) are ahead of them right now and finished ahead of them last year.

Dude, you’re kidding right? Mac coached a G5 school to respectability for 3 years while Schiano coached a P5 doormat to respectability for 11 years. Big difference.

I misspoke. whatever. If you want to argue those two don't, Schiano definitely doesn't. Ohio State's defense (which Urban Meyer gave him total control of) has been behind both Clemson and Washington last year and to this point this season. They're also 22 spots behind us in total defense. Read the link I posted in the response to TSchek's last. You think his man-free schemes will fly in this conference? I don't.

Last edited:
I misspoke. whatever. If you want to argue those two don't, Schiano definitely doesn't. Ohio State's defense (which Urban Meyer gave him total control of) has been behind both Clemson and Washington last year and to this point this season. They're also 22 spots behind us in total defense. Read the link I just posted. You think his man-free schemes will fly in this conference? I don't.
I’m talking about him as a HC not a defensive coordinator and I think you’re way too focused on a defensive ranking for one partial season - is that really how you look for a HC? If it is, you should just go hire the guy who replaced Eliot at Kentucky since that defense has been stellar.

Took 6 years... how long has MM been here?

Rutgers Scarlet Knights (Big East Conference) (2001–2011)
2001Rutgers2–90–78th
2002Rutgers1–110–78th
2003Rutgers5–72–57th
2004Rutgers4–71–56th
2005Rutgers7–54–33rdL Insight
2006Rutgers11–25–2T–2ndW Texas1212
2007Rutgers8–53–4T–5th
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Back