What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

OSU game fallout thread

I’m talking about him as a HC not a defensive coordinator and I think you’re way too focused on a defensive ranking for one partial season - is that really how you look for a HC? If it is, you should just go hire the guy who replaced Eliot at Kentucky since that defense has been stellar.

I don't think he makes sense as a head coach here, and I don't want him here. His experience is all east coast. I've got more faith in Seth Littrell's ability to put a staff together that would better fit us than I do him. He's got a bad rep for being stubborn (and I think we've got a bit of that problem with our current HC). His defensive schemes (and you bet he's going to want to be involved in that) won't work here in my opinion-see the link I posted above.

I don't think he makes sense as a head coach here, and I don't want him here. His experience is all east coast. I've got more faith in Seth Littrell's ability to put a staff together that would better fit us than I do him. He's got a bad rep for being stubborn (and I think we've got a bit of that problem with our current HC). His defensive schemes (and you bet he's going to want to be involved in that) won't work here in my opinion-see the link I posted above.
Stubborn?? Yeah can’t have a stubborn football coach.

I couldn’t disagree more on who could put together a better staff between a guy with almost 30 years experience in P5 football and the NFL and 13 years as a HC or a guy coaching his 3rd season in Conference USA but we’re just never going to agree, so be it.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/10/3/17928026/ohio-state-defense-greg-schiano

Again, no experience west of the Mississippi. I have more faith in Littrell being able to put a staff together that would work here than I do him. He's had total control of the defense at Ohio State for the last couple years-and Clemson and Washington (they seem like appropriate comparisons given we've talked about both Brent Venables and Jimmy Lake here) are ahead of them right now and finished ahead of them last year.
I don't really care one way or the other about hiring Schiano. I was just responding to your comparison of him to MM with their respective rebuilding jobs, to which there is no comparison.

I misspoke. whatever. If you want to argue those two don't, Schiano definitely doesn't. Ohio State's defense (which Urban Meyer gave him total control of) has been behind both Clemson and Washington last year and to this point this season. They're also 22 spots behind us in total defense. Read the link I posted in the response to TSchek's last. You think his man-free schemes will fly in this conference? I don't.
What do you think made CU's defense so good in 2016?

I’m just curious why @ahoelsken is so adamant that not having “experience” coaching in a league makes them a poor fit? If you can coach you can coach I’m not trying to be a dick I’m genuinely curious. If your only argument is that he won’t be able to recruit CA, that just means he needs to hire people with CA connections. I’m not sure why you are so against someone without experience in the PAC.

What do you think made CU's defense so good in 2016?
Senior laden team with a ton of experience and motivation. Unless you think the 58th ranked Oregon defense is somehow better than the 47th ranked CU defense coached by DJ Eliot. Leavitt is a good coach, not the god amongst men some around here think. That team is full of 5 stars and that defense is not good. And before you argue S&P+ CU is 57 with Oregon at 76.

Stubborn?? Yeah can’t have a stubborn football coach.

I couldn’t disagree more on who could put together a better staff between a guy with almost 30 years experience in P5 football and the NFL and 13 years as a HC or a guy coaching his 3rd season in Conference USA but we’re just never going to agree, so be it.

Let me say this-If we were Illinois or hell Rutgers for that matter, I'd be all over him. Let's see how this next month goes-If we're 2-2 or better in November, I'm fine with keeping MM.....provided we get some change with the assistants.

Senior laden team with a ton of experience and motivation. Unless you think the 58th ranked Oregon defense is somehow better than the 47th ranked CU defense coached by DJ Eliot. Leavitt is a good coach, not the god amongst men some around here think. That team is full of 5 stars and that defense is not good. And before you argue S&P+ CU is 57 with Oregon at 76.
I was simply going for, "Man Free defense is what made the 2016 defense so good". You have to have the dudes to run it, but it's not like that coverage scheme only works in the Big 10 or something.

It’s a statistic, but what’ is the point? That we should just keep Mac?
That it is interesting. People are advocating for GS and simultaneously bagging on Mac, turns out they both had identical records after 6 seasons and equal number of bowl appearances.

I'm certainly not enamored with Mac, so I get it. My thought is if Mac doesn't go 3-1 we look around at options. If he wins 2 or less he is absolutely gone.

Kinda off the coaching rant, but does anyone remember these games? This is what I think of every time I think of OSU football. For some reason they are interned in my memory:

Football: Oregon State 27, USC 21 (Sept. 27, 2008
The Trojans were the No. 1 team in the nation when they returned to Corvallis for a Thursday night game. OSU started the year 1-2 and entered the game as 26-point underdogs. However, the game ended up marking the second time Oregon State ever beat the country’s top ranked team, as freshman Jacquizz Rodgers ran for 186 yards and two touchdowns. It was the only time USC lost that season.

Football: Oregon State 33, USC 31 (Oct. 28, 2006)
USC was 6-0 and ranked No. 3 in the country when arriving in Corvallis, facing an Oregon State group that started the season 2-3. The Beavers built a 23-point third quarter lead before a late USC charge nearly evened the game. That’s when Jeff Van Orsow batted down a two-point conversion pass from John David Booty to secure the Trojans’ first conference loss in more than three years.

That it is interesting. People are advocating for GS and simultaneously bagging on Mac, turns out they both had identical records after 6 seasons and equal number of bowl appearances.

I'm certainly not enamored with Mac, so I get it. My thought is if Mac doesn't go 3-1 we look around at options. If he wins 2 or less he is absolutely gone.
If you could guarantee me Mac’s next 5 years would look like Schiano’s last 5 I’d be totally fine keeping him.

I’m just curious why @ahoelsken is so adamant that not having “experience” coaching in a league makes them a poor fit? If you can coach you can coach I’m not trying to be a dick I’m genuinely curious. If your only argument is that he won’t be able to recruit CA, that just means he needs to hire people with CA connections. I’m not sure why you are so against someone without experience in the PAC.

To be clear, I don't see Pac 12 experience as a prerequisite. I want somebody who I know can get a staff that can get talent out of California and TX/LA. With a guy like Jimmy Lake (for example), I know we're getting that because UW recruits the same spots we do for the most part. Same thing with Tedford-Fresno is probably competing more with the likes of Oregon State for talent than anybody else in our league right now, but he's a known commodity in this part of the country (somebody-Petros Papadakis? suggested him here in 2012), and how can you not be impressed with a division title (even in that awful league) the year after 1-11? He'd also be a great hire for Lytle, Stenstrom, and Evans, and I've been saying since Saturday that he's my first choice if we make a move.

As far as Schiano, I'm questioning if he's got connections in California and Texas to build a staff that can recruit.....made the same argument against Scott Satterfield (who I honestly think will be the next coach at North Carolina) yesterday, and I'm not exactly impressed with Ohio State's defenses since he's been in charge of them either. If we're talking coordinators, I'd hire Brent Venables over him right now.

As far as MM, I'm fine with keeping him at 7-5, but I'd want more changes amongst the assistants. Anything short of that and he's gotta go.

Last edited:
Kinda off the coaching rant, but does anyone remember these games? This is what I think of every time I think of OSU football. For some reason they are interned in my memory:

The Trojans were the No. 1 team in the nation when they returned to Corvallis for a Thursday night game. OSU started the year 1-2 and entered the game as 26-point underdogs. However, the game ended up marking the second time Oregon State ever beat the country’s top ranked team, as freshman Jacquizz Rodgers ran for 186 yards and two touchdowns. It was the only time USC lost that season.

USC was 6-0 and ranked No. 3 in the country when arriving in Corvallis, facing an Oregon State group that started the season 2-3. The Beavers built a 23-point third quarter lead before a late USC charge nearly evened the game. That’s when Jeff Van Orsow batted down a two-point conversion pass from John David Booty to secure the Trojans’ first conference loss in more than three years.
Not only can they beat us but apparently they can also beat USC. Maybe we shouldn't have expected to conquer them Saturday.

Not only can they beat us but apparently they can also beat USC. Maybe we shouldn't have expected to conquer them Saturday.

Didn't expect to lose to them this year, but Smith is the right coach for them. He's going to get that thing fixed I think.

Those two teams were winners of 10 games in 2006 and 9 games in 2008. The 06 team was 6-3 in the P10 and the 08 team was 7-2 in the P10. These teams were quite good, especially at home. They were not the worst road team in the FBS.

This is an equivocation.

Last edited:
I don't believe you.

you may have faults, but fair-weather fan doesn't seem to be one of them. (y)
I’m not a fair weather fan. But my wife and I are preparing for retirement and trying to pay off debt, for one. The only reason I may keep them is next year’s schedule. But I’m not enjoying this season. I’ve missed two home games and didn’t care. Of course one was last week and I’m glad I missed that one.

I’m not a fair weather fan. But my wife and I are preparing for retirement and trying to pay off debt, for one. The only reason I may keep them is next year’s schedule. But I’m not enjoying this season. I’ve missed two home games and didn’t care. Of course one was last week and I’m glad I missed that one.

And before you think I'm making fun, I think I'm legitimately skipping the game on Friday.

If you want an outsiders perspective, all I can say is we’ve all been there with losses like this. I really thought I was going to need to seek professional help (or at least help that wasn’t 86 proof) after Cal got blown out by Oregon in 2009. Of course in hindsight it turns out Oregon was really good and was about to go on a dynastic run but no one knew that at the time. Couldn’t sleep for days.

CU is nowhere near as bad as this loss would imply. A lot of fluke stuff and some bad coaching had to come together to make this result. I guarantee the coaches will never make this particular mistake again. If you played Oregon State 10 times you’d win 9 of those easily.

But part of what makes college football fun (or at least interesting) is that mind bogglingly weird stuff routinely happens. This losing streak will end and maybe sooner than you think. The PAC 12 is pretty wide open. Montez is a legitimate talent. Brighter days are ahead.

If you want an outsiders perspective, all I can say is we’ve all been there with losses like this. I really thought I was going to need to seek professional help (or at least help that wasn’t 86 proof) after Cal got blown out by Oregon in 2009. Of course in hindsight it turns out Oregon was really good and was about to go on a dynastic run but no one knew that at the time. Couldn’t sleep for days.

CU is nowhere near as bad as this loss would imply. A lot of fluke stuff and some bad coaching had to come together to make this result. I guarantee the coaches will never make this particular mistake again. If you played Oregon State 10 times you’d win 9 of those easily.

But part of what makes college football fun (or at least interesting) is that mind bogglingly weird stuff routinely happens. This losing streak will end and maybe sooner than you think. The PAC 12 is pretty wide open. Montez is a legitimate talent. Brighter days are ahead.
Hogwash. You just want us to keep our coach.

Huge difference between the two-Oregon State hadn't won a road game since they beat us at Folsom four years ago. We're also the first FBS opponent they've beaten since Thanksgiving weekend of 2016. This loss is a lost worse than that, and MM should be on very thin ice right now.

Up until the 4th quarter I was feeling confident about our season, our direction, the ability to beat UA this Friday. Can a quarter and a half really skew all of this?

If we beat UA are we all still jumping ship?

Logic and reason says MM is doing a fine job and the turmoil of going through another coaching change would be more harmful to the program than the consistency of maintaining current head coach.

Up until the 4th quarter I was feeling confident about our season, our direction, the ability to beat UA this Friday. Can a quarter and a half really skew all of this?

Logic and reason says MM is doing a fine job and the turmoil of going through another coaching change would be more harmful to the program than the consistency of maintaining current head coach.
If you make the right hire, a coaching change has the chance to vault the program where it absolutely should be; consistently in the top 25 with 8-9 wins every year, getting to 10+ every few seasons where they can be serious conference champ contenders and, in turn, a shot at being included in the playoff. Maintaining the status quo is simply delaying the inevitable at this point.

At what point is "fine" (whatever that means) not good enough?

Year six and bowl eligibility is a major question mark. Not sure you can call that anything other than bad coaching.

Back