What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Other Games 10/15 - 10/19

They, and CU, lost because they didn't execute what they called.

CU definitely made the wrong call to not play something more conservative. Okie Lite is debatable.

Prevent is not always the wrong call.

I totally agree. I think if you have Travis Hunter erase #1 from the equation, playing aggressive against the rest of the KSU offense makes sense. Without him, making them earn their way down the field was probably the right call. But hindsight is 20/20....

Ugh. I hate watching ASU football. I have no idea why but that RB makes me irrationally angry.
Skattebo took a cheap shot at one of our guys on the last play of the game last year.

He rides that line between epic effort and easy to love if he's on your team, and dirty bastard against your team.

His prize will be CTE and eternal love from the fans in Tempe.

I'm falling in love with Cignetti
Why is the immediate talk about Prime to a bigger program, or Cignetti to a bigger program legit? Cignetti has a seat at the big boys table with a big school that would give him anything and everything, and they are getting big money. I think he will be at Indiana for a long time

Why is the immediate talk about Prime to a bigger program, or Cignetti to a bigger program legit? Cignetti has a seat at the big boys table with a big school that would give him anything and everything, and they are getting big money. I think he will be at Indiana for a long time
Both are older, and will only have so many bites at the apple.

There is sensible logic that they might seek one last massive payday, and the best situation to take a crack at getting a title.

I don't think it's a given, but if a top tier job opens up, you know Cignetti is getting a call and a big offer.

Both are older, and will only have so many bites at the apple.

There is sensible logic that they might seek one last massive payday, and the best situation to take a crack at getting a title.

I don't think it's a given, but if a top tier job opens up, you know Cignetti is getting a call and a big offer.
I think times are different
Indiana can pay him a lot of money
The CFP will take 4 teams from the B1G, so just get to 10-2 and you are in
The B1G is really not that overall great of a conference beyond 2-3 top teams, so he is positioned well
He also seems like a guy that wants to go at least 4-5 years at a program to get things maximized, versus doing it over.
Also, if a "big" program opens up, that does not mean things are in good shape or running well at that "big" program

I think times are different
Indiana can pay him a lot of money
The CFP will take 4 teams from the B1G, so just get to 10-2 and you are in
The B1G is really not that overall great of a conference beyond 2-3 top teams, so he is positioned well
He also seems like a guy that wants to go at least 4-5 years at a program to get things maximized, versus doing it over.
Also, if a "big" program opens up, that does not mean things are in good shape or running well at that "big" program
Bama was in great shape for DeBoer, the resources were there for Lanning at Oregon, Georgia was good but not great when they moved on from Richt, things are in good shape at Michigan for Moore taking over.

There are going to be at least a couple of jobs with way more resources than Indiana that open up pretty much every year.

I could see Cignetti thinking Indiana is a great fit and staying put.

Let's say Ryan Day keeps losing against top 5 teams and has two first round exits in the first two 12 team playoffs. I can see tOSU canning him and offering Cig 3×+ what Indiana is paying him. You're delusional if you don't think tOSU is a better job than Indiana.

Especially with so much of talent acquisition being about your NIL infrastructure, I think being a HC is going back to running a football operation. I think we're going to see a trend in P4 toward hiring HCs who are proven winners at lower levels vs tabbing P4 coordinators for access to their recruiting network & coaching tree. Infrastructure at well-resourced programs can handle a lot of the GM type needs.

Especially with so much of talent acquisition being about your NIL infrastructure, I think being a HC is going back to running a football operation. I think we're going to see a trend in P4 toward hiring HCs who are proven winners at lower levels vs tabbing P4 coordinators for access to their recruiting network & coaching tree. Infrastructure at well-resourced programs can handle a lot of the GM type needs.
I think the GM + HC model is going to get tested.

Something that Chip Kelly might love, where he's coaching ball and letting a GM figure out the NIL, portal, etc.

Two important checkdowns to the RB that kept that drive singing along. That's the type of thing I hope we see from SS the rest of the way.
I’m not sure where the narrative that 2 doesn’t use check downs comes from. He’s hit Welch, Hayden, and Augustave on check downs throughout the year

Indiana has the funds, but they can’t provide the local talent that an SEC school can. They also don’t have the brand of an upper tier B1G school to pull in as many elites athletes. It’s always possible, but he will likely be at an elite tier school soon.

Last edited:
Bama was in great shape for DeBoer, the resources were there for Lanning at Oregon, Georgia was good but not great when they moved on from Richt, things are in good shape at Michigan for Moore taking over.

There are going to be at least a couple of jobs with way more resources than Indiana that open up pretty much every year.

I could see Cignetti thinking Indiana is a great fit and staying put.

Let's say Ryan Day keeps losing against top 5 teams and has two first round exits in the first two 12 team playoffs. I can see tOSU canning him and offering Cig 3×+ what Indiana is paying him. You're delusional if you don't think tOSU is a better job than Indiana.
With the rapid increase in media dollars, NIL, open transfers, players having agents, conference re-alignment, etc. etc. the job is only going to continue to get more stressful.

It used to be that being the head coach at an elite program was a great gig. Big contract, donors money coming in, hire the best assistants to recruit and coach, and the head coach could ease back a little (as much as those personality types can ever ease back) and enjoy the ride.

That is now over. Coaches have to worry every year about who is staying, who is coming in, who is trying to poach your players, poach your coaches, and players making business decisions about their commitment to the game.

The money people want results right now and every year. Donor pressure continues to increase.

Expect to see much more turnover in the top jobs than we are used to. If they aren't forced out (like the example you give with Day above) they will leave on their own due to burnoout.

Meanwhile expect to see a continuation of the trend for top coaches, head and assistant, to look to move to the NFL where they can make their money and only have to worry about football, not recruiting and donor relations.

Indiana has the funds, but they can’t provide the local talent that an SEC school can and they don’t have the brand of an upper tier B1G school to pull in as many elites athletes. It’s always possible, but he will likely be at an elite tier school soon.
Also have to wonder if Indiana has and is willing to keep the kind of culture that puts winning football games above everything else that is required to maintain a program at that level.

The did it to an extent with Bobby Knight in basketball but he could always justify it because his program maintained very high academic standards.

Raiola, 17 attempts for 97 yards.

At best, he's a work in progress. Good at completing passes behind the LOS and not turning the ball over.

Let's see another Indiana score here, and the second half will finally be a real test for him.

Cignetti might get a new contract before the end of the season if this is how cheap they got him

Big weekend for Austin when a top five matchup isn’t even the biggest event in town this weekend.
I know! I can’t believe CandyCon is today! Now with pasties!!!

While I am loving seeing the Huskers get kicked, this IU team is really good. I believe they still have to play Michigan and tOSU, but they are a tough team and I expect them to win one of those upcoming games.

Back