What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac-12 hires MGM's George Kliavkoff to replace Larry Scott as commissioner

As much as it sounds great for someone from BIG or SEC land to take over, I'm not sure if the success of those conference networks and TV deals are all that applicable to the Pac 12.

Maybe, maybe not.

I do know Luck would provide instant credibility for the conference in college football.

Byrne would be a really poor choice. There were some major issues he left behind at Arizona that should be disqualifying.

The biggest decision is what to do with the P12N. When I think of the P12N, I think disaster is the appropriate word.

It has not been good for people who want to be able to choose which provider such as Youtube TV, etc. I don't think the P12N was good for recruiting at all because if you can't watch the games, why bother going to a school in that conference?

If I was named commissioner, I'd shut the P12N down on day one and let schools score their own third tier deals. I don't think we'd have a choice in this case if we want to keep USC and UCLA in the conference. I'm guessing this means CU will be on ESPN+ and that would be a better deal than being on the P12N. If ESPN, Fox Sports, CBS Sports, etc wants to show a CU game for a price, go for it.

Larry Scott left the Pac-12 worse off? No ****.

Canzano is a hack.
Gotcha, yeah that's obvious. Canzano always comes across as a Pac 12 fan with a bigger platform to voice his frustration.

However, there haven't been a ton of writers that have spoken out against the Pac 12, which IMO, has contributed to the problem. We've seen first hand the kind of influence public reaction can have, and while you don't always want the public perception running the decision making, this is one situation where the CEO group should have been far more proactive.

If the Pac 12 wants to pay double what other conferences do, then you might as well make a play at Sankey.

If the Pac 12 wants to pay double what other conferences do, then you might as well make a play at Sankey.
But Sankey won't have Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Auburn and LSU to leverage ESPN for billions in TV contracts, which was kind of my point earlier. I'm sure Sankey has done good things himself, but he has the easiest product in sports, outside of the NFL, to market and leverage the networks.

I thought of that too after seeing what he makes compared to Scott but figure the SEC could easily match if they want to keep him and if they let him go maybe that should concern us.

peanut butter GIF

But Sankey won't have Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Auburn and LSU to leverage ESPN for billions in TV contracts, which was kind of my point earlier. I'm sure Sankey has done good things himself, but he has the easiest product in sports, outside of the NFL, to market and leverage the networks.
Everybody says that about every successful person in every facet of life. He's done more than some good things.

I don't necessarily think they should make a play at him, but if you are going to pay double for the same position, you had better get it right because as we just saw, it can be devastating.

Everybody says that about every successful person in every facet of life. He's done more than some good things.

I don't necessarily think they should make a play at him, but if you are going to pay double for the same position, you had better get it right because as we just saw, it can be devastating.
There is a base level of competency needed to be in these kind of leadership positions, so I'm not taking anything away from Sankey, but there are massive hurdles in the Pac 12, that don't really have a solution, that he hasn't ever had to remotely think about in the SEC, namely fan apathy which obviously trickles down to everything else.

I fully admit, I am not well versed in all the things Sankey has done as Commish that has directly led to the SEC's success, that aren't mostly a byproduct of the rabid fanbases, unwavering die hard support, etc.

Kind of like the idea of Oliver Luck if we can get him. Not sure about others-can't think of an AD I think would fit there like Bowlsby seems to in the Big 12 and Phillips in the ACC.

I don’t know who they should hire but hopefully whoever they hire will put an immediate end to setting money on fire for rent in Silicon Valley and the salaries they pay for all of the under achievers working there.

Even though it’s long overdue, I’m very happy with this news.

This conference needs someone intimately familiar with the CFB landscape and Pac 12 ADs/Presidents.
Does that describe Luck though? CFB landscape, ok, but beyond having a kid who played at Stanford does he have any connection to the Pac12 or west coast in general?

Does that describe Luck though? CFB landscape, ok, but beyond having a kid who played at Stanford does he have any connection to the Pac12 or west coast in general?
Stanford wanted him as AD years ago, but you're right he doesn't have a ton of Pac 12 specific experience.

Back