What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac-12 hires MGM's George Kliavkoff to replace Larry Scott as commissioner

awesome chris farley GIF

Last edited:
I am not sure I've seen someone who was more hated than Larry Scott. I've checked just about every Pac 12 board and that dude is despised by literally everyone. Goodell at least still has a few supporters. Pretty impressive be that hated.
Well, he earned it.

Oliver Luck was fresh off the plane in a country he barely knew with a language he didn't speak and started with an office with two desks and nothing else and his job was to get a sports team off the ground in a sport the people did not even know. At the end of their first season they had a home game with a 50k in the stands and regularly averaged between 30-35k.

Given Luck's resume and life experience, I don't think it'd be a problem for him to work out West. His resume is absolutely fascinating and he's had about every job you can possibly have in sports administration. Pro team GM? Check. Pro team Swiss army knife? Check. Pro league commish? Check. College AD? Check? High ranking college admin? Check.
Oliver Luck all the way.

Honest question: is there enough in the budget, and would it work long-term, to hire Oliver Luck as Commissioner and Rick George as Assistant Commissioner?

Or even if not those candidates, a similar method to fully fill out that Commissioner role so that we get the most efficiency and return for the $$$? With Larry Scott doing so little while collecting so much, I wonder if a two-person approach might help get the Pac-12 more eyeballs, more revenue, and overall more clout and relevance. The dual salary might seem steep initially, but it could accelerate overall revenue (along with moving HQ to Vegas).

Good idea? Bad idea?

Honest question: is there enough in the budget, and would it work long-term, to hire Oliver Luck as Commissioner and Rick George as Assistant Commissioner?

Or even if not those candidates, a similar method to fully fill out that Commissioner role so that we get the most efficiency and return for the $$$? With Larry Scott doing so little while collecting so much, I wonder if a two-person approach might help get the Pac-12 more eyeballs, more revenue, and overall more clout and relevance. The dual salary might seem steep initially, but it could accelerate overall revenue (along with moving HQ to Vegas).

Good idea? Bad idea?

Bad idea. They need to choose one leader with decision-making responsibility. That's not to say that said leader shouldn't have people to advise him or her, but at this point in their careers neither of those men is fit to be something other than the chief executive.

Good idea? Bad idea?

Wilner has an article in the BDC today promoting ADRG as THE candidate for commissioner.

It would suck to lose him, but I can't say I disagree with that strategy.

Wasn’t RG head of media relations with the Rangers? He did something along those lines. The number 1 job for the new person is the TV contracts.

Typical how lawyers and hourly billing organizations work. Take it slow and easy to justify the huge fees.
There are maybe 10 people that are qualified for this position, and you can easily go out and find them to interview. Also likely have those types of resources within each school.

Typical how lawyers and hourly billing organizations work. Take it slow and easy to justify the huge fees.
There are maybe 10 people that are qualified for this position, and you can easily go out and find them to interview. Also likely have those types of resources within each school.
You realize that the P12 executive council is okay with this, right?

$100,000...

$100,000...

$100,000 $100,000 $100,000 .....

$100,000

$100,000 $100,000 $100,000 $100,000 $100,000 $100,000 $100,000 $100,000 $100,000 $100,000 $100,000 $100,000 $100,000 $100,000 $100,000 $100,000 $100,000 $100,000 $100,000 $100,000 $100,000 $100,000 $100,000 $100,000 $100,000 $100,000 $100,000 $100,000 $100,000 $100,000 $100,000 $100,000 $100,000 $100,000 $100,000

2 candidates
1 hired

What needs to be done by the new commissioner is get that new media rights deal that is more accessible to fans because without exposure to said school, it's always a missed opportunity to get prospective students to submit an application fee, a missed opportunity for a head of a corporation or research facility to connect with a Pac-12 school, a missed opportunity to connect with alumni and non-fans, etc. It just adds up and that could be one reason why Pac-12 fan attendance in general isn't that great. When you are not able to access your team that easily, you are less likely to spend money on your team. That has not been lost on me as I am watching FCS football this spring thanks to ESPN+ and Pluto TV. Why is the NFL the most popular sport in the US? Because you can watch the NFL easily outside of MNF that isn't showing on your local channel.

Better access will be critical in getting the athletes their money from ads & promotions. Pac-12 cannot afford to screw this up with their next media rights deal.

Is there going to be room inside HULU and Paramount+ for TV deals? Feels like the Pac12 is mired in all of Larry Scotts s h i t trails and unwinding all of his bad moves is gonna be challenging.

Back