What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac-12 hires MGM's George Kliavkoff to replace Larry Scott as commissioner

We don't need CBS to have a big inventory.
We probably do because espn might not want many games from the pac 12 based on their deals with the sec, ACC, big 12 and big 10. And we definitely do if we want better game times or else the inventory we will get is going to get pushed later because west coast local game times. If all else remain the same then yes we just need to replace a select number of big games that go on abc that will now be showing sec games but this could get ugly for the conference. Keep in mind fox already has big deals signed with the big 10 and big 12.

Id prefer CBS or anywhere where a majority of our games are on broadcast TV free to anyone who wants to watch (recruits). If the games end up behind a pay wall like Peacock or Paramount+ that gets us less exposure (Recruiting).

ESPN+ is my last choice because we will be on at 11pm as filler after the SEC and ACC games are done.

We don't need CBS to have a big inventory.

It sounds like thats where things are headed....

In 2019, CBS lost its alternating rights to the Navy–Notre Dame due to ESPN's new media rights with the American Athletic Conference.

On December 20, 2019, it was reported by Sports Business Journal that after having offered $300 million per-season, CBS had exited negotiations to renew its SEC package beyond the 2023 season. The network cited a need to "aggressively focus on other important strategic priorities moving forward".[11][12] On December 10, 2020, ESPN announced that it had acquired the top SEC rights under a 10-year deal beginning in 2024, valued at $3 billion over the length of the contract. The games are slated to air on ABC, thus centralizing the entirety of the SEC's media rights with The Walt Disney Company.[13]

Honestly, I would love it if CBS gave us the same kind of exposure that the SEC got during their run with CBS. What a great branding vehicle. Gotta hope CBS wants to stay in the college football game.

I'm not sure if CBS would want to go with an exclusive Pac12 game each week for the whole season, that probably only works with the SEC or B1G. But maybe they could commit to something like 8 weeks out of the year and not limit the number of times a given team can be shown like the SEC contract was. If they end up having a USC or Oregon game on CBS every week then so be it because there simply would not be much interest in something like WSU-Cal or Arizona-Utah unless one of them was highly ranked. They would also get all non-conference games where the Pac12 team is the home team which would include ND every year with either the Stanford or USC game.

Another thing I think CBS could capitalize on is a different timeslot than the typical ones, like maybe a 6 or 6:30 EST start. You have a wave of games that start at 3:30/4 EST and then there's usually 1 or 2 big national games starting at 7:30/8, but this would be a way to slide in and get the audience from the 3:30 game which is often decided by this time, and if it's a good game they would likely keep a good portion of the audience from turning over to the prime time 7:30/8pm games.

I'm not sure if CBS would want to go with an exclusive Pac12 game each week for the whole season, that probably only works with the SEC or B1G. But maybe they could commit to something like 8 weeks out of the year and not limit the number of times a given team can be shown like the SEC contract was. If they end up having a USC or Oregon game on CBS every week then so be it because there simply would not be much interest in something like WSU-Cal or Arizona-Utah unless one of them was highly ranked. They would also get all non-conference games where the Pac12 team is the home team which would include ND every year with either the Stanford or USC game.

Another thing I think CBS could capitalize on is a different timeslot than the typical ones, like maybe a 6 or 6:30 EST start. You have a wave of games that start at 3:30/4 EST and then there's usually 1 or 2 big national games starting at 7:30/8, but this would be a way to slide in and get the audience from the 3:30 game which is often decided by this time, and if it's a good game they would likely keep a good portion of the audience from turning over to the prime time 7:30/8pm games.
CBS had first dibs on the sec games though so if they wanted to replace espn in the next round of deals they would absolutely be interested in that. I don’t think people realize that is a guaranteed notre game game each year too since stanford and usc play them every year.

Sorry if this has been discussed already, but I want to know what relationship he can build with ESPN. Guessing, but it seems that 99% of CFB fans get ALL their info from ESPN. And ESPN does nothing but trash the PAC12. If we can get them to talk about us (specifically in a positive light) and get them to shut Paul Finebaum up, then we will look way better in the eyes of sports fans and potentially in the eyes of recruits. Again, sorry if this is redundant to what everyone else is saying, but I hate that CU gets a new ESPN article once a month, but Mizzou, Arkansas, and Mississippi State gets multiple per week just because they're in the SEC. (Though all three of those teams probably have more die-hard fans than the Buffs, so maybe that is the real reason). Basically I know nothing and have no answers. Thank you for listening
Do they have fans bc of the ESPN coverage? 🤷‍♂️

CBS had first dibs on the sec games though so if they wanted to replace espn in the next round of deals they would absolutely be interested in that. I don’t think people realize that is a guaranteed notre game game each year too since stanford and usc play them every year.

Exactly. Plus other marquee non-conference games, like tOSU-Oregon that was scheduled last year. LSU-UCLA this year, etc.

Exactly. Plus other marquee non-conference games, like tOSU-Oregon that was scheduled last year. LSU-UCLA this year, etc.
CBS has no SEC rights beyond 2023 season. Apparently none of you read.

I’m guessing it would cost more to break the lease than to just stay until it expires. Once that happens, it’s Vegas, baby.
And the timing is right to start looking for new digs and get them built up inside for our needs. Space will overlap between one lease ending and new one being refinished to meet offices/studios needs.

Thoughts on the Pac-12 New Commissioner. I’m excited. Some have said it’s an “outside the box” hire, and that might be true at first glance, but when you look deep into his resume he has a lot of experience that we need as a conference going forward. He has extensive backgrounds in television negotiations and the digital media world among other accomplishments, so I believe he is the right person to move the conference forward. He’s been very good everywhere at what he does.

—Rick George.

Spending some quality time right across campus from SMU this weekend. How this school isn’t part of our conference yet is beyond me. This area is Clearly the “pac 12” of Dallas lol

Spending some quality time right across campus from SMU this weekend. How this school isn’t part of our conference yet is beyond me. This area is Clearly the “pac 12” of Dallas lol
Not a Tier One research university, so I don’t see the PAC-12 ever going for it. If you really want something in Texas, though Houston is a Tier One, as is Rice and UTEP.

Houston has been my top target for years.
If footprint wasn't such a challenge, it would be a slam dunk. But man is it about as far as you can get from the P12 in a Texas metro. I mean, CU is a geographic outlier by being on the I-25 corridor & we're talking the SW tip of the I-35 corridor with UH.

I suppose if WVU can work as a B12 school then it's do-able, but it's not great. Too bad SMU doesn't meet the criteria as a member because it would make more sense with them as a paired rivalry.

It’s true that not all of the P12’s problems can be blamed on Larry Scott but I can’t unremember his expensive mansion and renting that penthouse in Las Vegas…scumbag.

Don't let the door hit you where the Good Lord split you, Larry.

It's pretty obvious to me, Larry cares about Larry, everybody else be damned. As long as that mother****er got his money, he didn't give a **** about schools or the conference as a whole.

Yes, usc completely ****ed up the last 10 years and probably hurt the conference. But Washington and oregon are two programs that could have benefitted greatly from a good commissioner and he didn’t come through for them. They had solid programs despite him but could have done even better.

Last edited:
Yes, usc completely ****ed up the last 10 years and probably hurt the conference. But Washington and oregon are two programs that could have benefitted greatly from a good commissioner and he didn’t come through for them. They had color programs despite him but could have done even better.
"color programs"?

Larry's last day on the job and this stuck out to me as one of his many failings.

In that, Larry Scott probably still doesn’t think he did a thing wrong.

In fact, the story goes that a conference employee was enlisted by Scott a few years ago to do a thorough examination of rising expenses. The Pac-12 had just paid six figures for the construction of an entire studio set in Las Vegas as part of its annual basketball tournament. It also threw a lavish party for sponsors, friends, and family at the Rose Bowl that year. That event included chartered flights and hotel rooms for all.

The employee studied and noted all of the above. But the first item discussed with Scott in the official presentation didn’t fly well. The staffer pointed out an oddity. The Pac-12 didn’t have a travel-expense policy for the executive team.

Scott ended the study.

The employee was gone a few months later.

Back