What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Prime is Polarizing

As someone with a background in marketing, I generally think of "polarizing" as good. It causes discussion and makes you relevant. Boring is bad marketing. Didn't cross my mind that some would see it as a pejorative. I was thinking it would draw eyeballs and argument, though (even if just from lurkers getting pissed off or put off balance).
So how much has allbuff's eyeball count increased the last two days?

And it's delicious.

I'm seeing "Coach Ego" tweets, stuff about it being all about him with no care for CU or the players, how he'll leave a mess when he bolts, how he represents all that's wrong with college football, and even people calling it a cult.

It's just getting started, too. How pissed are people gonna be once top programs start losing coaches and recruits to CU for real? How much more do they attack when Coach Prime starts winning big?

Part of it is fear and uncertainty of the world they understood being turned on its head. Part of it is race since it's much easier to accept a black guy who isn't brash, outspoken and on another level of confidence (same crowd who didn't love Ali until after he was unable to speak).

I love it. Bring it, doubters and haters. It's just more motivation up front and satisfaction at the back end of the process. Tell us why he can't, why CU can't... and then complain about how unfair it is that we're kicking your ass.
I doubt anyone is much more excited than I am about the arrival of DS, and the changes he's going to help make to the whole athletic program. I think iot's all great and he seems a good and decent man.

But, we are all flawed, and he just did not handle his announcements to the current players properly. You're talking about young men who gave their all to CU and the football program. Tons of emotions, tons of sweat. Some them have been doing it for 4 years. This absolutely should have been a closed door meeting.

The reality is, as DS mentioned during his initial appearance, 'they' are making a documentary of this whole thing' - you could see the cameraman bent down in front of DS as he addressed the players. They filmed his 'I'm leaving' meeting at Jackson, they had to film this too.

Go Buffs!

I doubt anyone is much more excited than I am about the arrival of DS, and the changes he's going to help make to the whole athletic program. I think iot's all great and he seems a good and decent man.

But, we are all flawed, and he just did not handle his announcements to the current players properly. You're talking about young men who gave their all to CU and the football program. Tons of emotions, tons of sweat. Some them have been doing it for 4 years. This absolutely should have been a closed door meeting.

The reality is, as DS mentioned during his initial appearance, 'they' are making a documentary of this whole thing' - you could see the cameraman bent down in front of DS as he addressed the players. They filmed his 'I'm leaving' meeting at Jackson, they had to film this too.

Go Buffs!
I still think you're missing the mark here. Deion Sanders is certainly not infallible, I'll grant you that, but this is not why. As Nik mentioned earlier, the team widely took the message as a positive challenge. The players that took offense, well I think that says something....and that's a large part of the point. The rest of the point was to deliver a message to the outside world (recruits and transfers) as to what the expectation is at CU under Coach Prime. Even my my young son, who has dreams of playing at a high level and had never considered CU as a dream option, now has CU at the top of his list after listening to that very speech. Competitive players loved it.

Last edited:
I have talked about befriending the transient folks when I lived in downtown Loveland. Boulders has a reputation in that community with how well they treat them.
Exactly. If people didn’t give them money they wouldn’t come here. My sister was once just sitting on Pearl street with friends and a lady came up and gave her money. (She wasn’t homeless or asking at all-just hanging out)
They are shipped here by surrounding communities, so between that and the reputation of being a homeless friendly town, it is really out of control. It is quite sad actually. Many of these people need help, but when you can't even walk down the creek path during the day out of concern for confrontation (or worse).....well, it is way past needing an alternative remedy. I digress
I walked the creek path today and saw zero homeless people. It’s really not that frightening. Summer has a lot more of them, but it’s not that frightening.

Exactly. If people didn’t give them money they wouldn’t come here. My sister was once just sitting on Pearl street with friends and a lady came up and gave her money. (She wasn’t homeless or asking at all-just hanging out)

I walked the creek path today and saw zero homeless people. It’s really not that frightening. Summer has a lot more of them, but it’s not that frightening.
NM

Now, back to PRIME TIME broadcasting :cool:

Last edited:
Jackson, MS does not have clean drinking water. Crime is rampant. The school in Boulder is well-kept and absolutely beautiful. Yet, we could not field a winning football team. This is a major source of Prime’s incredulity in the first meeting. People at our alma mater take these privileges for granted.
Edit for actual stats from 6-Jul report from local news station in MS:

153 people were killed in Jackson last year and more than 70 people have been murdered in 2022. People are being killed at a higher rate per-capita in the Capital City than any other major city in the United States. A recent CBS News special report found the city only has eight homicide detectives.

There's a number (and it might be as low as 4) that if CU wins that many games next year, Prime can be as polarizing as he wants.
Those of us that have stuck around want to win and understand it is a process. it is not just about w/l next year. Who are we recruiting, who is coming here, who is leaving here, who is coaching, and when we find weak points, do they get addressed. Start there.

also huge ****ing gigantic bonus points for beating the fuskers. If he wins only that game next year, he is already a god in my book.

On recruiting, I have never really cared as much about number of stars…. Rather about who does the guy have offers from. We have flat out not been able to compete for talent at the level we need to In order to win. That is already changing.

And it's delicious.

I'm seeing "Coach Ego" tweets, stuff about it being all about him with no care for CU or the players, how he'll leave a mess when he bolts, how he represents all that's wrong with college football, and even people calling it a cult.

It's just getting started, too. How pissed are people gonna be once top programs start losing coaches and recruits to CU for real? How much more do they attack when Coach Prime starts winning big?

Part of it is fear and uncertainty of the world they understood being turned on its head. Part of it is race since it's much easier to accept a black guy who isn't brash, outspoken and on another level of confidence (same crowd who didn't love Ali until after he was unable to speak).

I love it. Bring it, doubters and haters. It's just more motivation up front and satisfaction at the back end of the process. Tell us why he can't, why CU can't... and then complain about how unfair it is that we're kicking your ass.

Prime can be as polarizing as he wants as far as I'm concerned. College Football is a tough business, he has to do what he has to do.

What has me a bit pissy is some of the adults at the PC yesterday deserved that tough talk a hell of a lot more than those players did. Instead they'll get to stay, one even got a healthy contract extension.

Anyway, taking a deep breath and moving on.

also i find the double standard very revealing... Saban would cut his own mother into tiny pieces to win games and Prime is somehow a bad guy for telling the truth?

Here is a quote from our own Darian Hagan from years ago when asked about a recruit CU ”successfully” managed to land… “ If i only had offers from the schools he had offers from and CU, I’d choose CU too.” Thank the players here; they have been through a lot; i wish them well in all their future endeavors. Prime and his staff are going to get fired if they don’t win. And typically that happens faster for black coaches than white ones. And, typically, black coaches who get a p5 gig are less likely to get another if they do get fired. So excuse them if they coach with a sense of urgency.

We have lost enough and took a freaking machine that was near the top of college programs at putting guys into the league and burned it to the ground. Let this man save us.

That talk didn't call out any players specifically. It was a challenge. If you think you can compete for PT and help this team, you also took it as a challenge.
If you thought you're the guy Prime was speaking to about the portal, you should be filling out the forms today. He's coming. It's clear as day to me. If you are not a dog ready to fight to eat, you are not our guy. Prime hasn't graded any film or studied who is capable of what. He's bringing some guys and he's got to make room. Sorry if that honesty hurts feelings. Next guy up.

also pretend for a minute here in bizarro world that we didn’t hit the lotto and get Prime and instead Saban decided to save us. The fan boys would be licking his boots and he would be doing exactly what Prime is doing re: the roster. He did it when he took over at Bama. the pearl clutchers can all go **** themselves. we are gonna win.

That talk didn't call out any players specifically. It was a challenge. If you think you can compete for PT and help this team, you also took it as a challenge.
If you thought you're the guy Prime was speaking to about the portal, you should be filling out the forms today. He's coming. It's clear as day to me. If you are not a dog ready to fight to eat, you are not our guy. Prime hasn't graded any film or studied who is capable of what. He's bringing some guys and he's got to make room. Sorry if that honesty hurts feelings. Next guy up.
This can't be emphasized enough. He didn't say "you all are out". He said "if you don't fit..." (these criteria).

Amazing how people take stuff out of context.

This can't be emphasized enough. He didn't say "you all are out". He said "if you don't fit..." (these criteria).

Amazing how people take stuff out of context.
Exactly he wants to see if you bleed black and gold. It's like when you take a weed out class in college.

Then there's this:
https://andscape.com/features/deion-sanders-exit-from-jackson-state-shows-why-hbcus-keep-struggling/

Completely hypocritical and misguided. His point, if Sanders was to leave JSU, it should have been a "top program", not CU. The author, who is Black, recognized that it's hypocritical that he, a Yale graduate, is criticizing Sanders when he himself went to a "white school". Logical gymnastics ensue. Apparently, if you abandon a HBCU for a white one, it's ok only if that white school is "good", which CU is not by his reasoning.

When Coach Prime brought up Boulder being "safe" in the presser and his address to the team it really brought back flashbacks to Coach Mac and how he understood the environment many of our recruits were coming from and wasn't afraid to acknowledge it and talk about why Boulder could be the right choice for many kids.
Jackson St actually had a student shot and killed Saturday night in the parking lot 😒

As someone with a background in marketing, I generally think of "polarizing" as good. It causes discussion and makes you relevant. Boring is bad marketing. Didn't cross my mind that some would see it as a pejorative. I was thinking it would draw eyeballs and argument, though (even if just from lurkers getting pissed off or put off balance).
Like Bowl tie-ins and no playoffs!

I saw a lot of comments today about his "nepotism" - saying his son's gonna be QB (without mentioning that he also said he'd have to work for it).

I wanted to reply to all these people: "Are you at ALL familiar with the QB situation at CU??"

If prime wins huge here, I don’t think Todd is ready to have grown men balling in front of him. The buffs have been so bad for so long that men 25-80 will cry with a playoff berth.

And our wives will cry as we up our donations amounts 😭

And our wives will cry as we up our donations amounts 😭

Wait? Flounder married his Fleshlight?

all grown up animation GIF by David Firth

I saw a lot of comments today about his "nepotism" - saying his son's gonna be QB (without mentioning that he also said he'd have to work for it).

I wanted to reply to all these people: "Are you at ALL familiar with the QB situation at CU??"
I’ve been on some reddits seeing people make those comments. My response is “can you name a CU QB?”
Most replies are along the lines of, “can you?” Lame.

Prime is pretty religious...I wonder how polarizing it will be for the secular Boulder crowd? I don't see Prime saying the stupid **** Mac did about gays or starting a big evangelical men's movement, but I do wonder. Thoughts?

Back