What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Rocky Mountain Showdown - News & Updates

Won't the defense reflect the offensive personnel? Is CSU going to try and run out of a 3 WR set, then we will probably be 3-3-5. If they are running pro formation or double TE, then I would expect 3-4-4. I guess they could even operate out of a 4 WR set, and try to spread out the defense and allow their O-line to try and dominate the line of scrimmage, and require DB's to react and come in for run support.
If they come out in 4 WR sets the game might be over by halftime.

Won't the defense reflect the offensive personnel? Is CSU going to try and run out of a 3 WR set, then we will probably be 3-3-5. If they are running pro formation or double TE, then I would expect 3-4-4. I guess they could even operate out of a 4 WR set, and try to spread out the defense and allow their O-line to try and dominate the line of scrimmage, and require DB's to react and come in for run support.

Yes, that is probably true. Leavitt will adjust his front accordingly, but I would expect 3-3-5 to be our base. The flexibility that Chido and Laguda can provide you by being pretty interchangeable as DB's and NB's gives the defense its best options.

If CSU comes out in a double TE or a power I, then I would imagine you see a lot of McCartney and Gilbert, so Carrell, Tupou, Jackson / Gilbert Gillam KO McCartney / Chido, Spoon, Moeller, and Thompson.

Haha guys I get it, but I would rather not have 5 defensive backs. Last year they sent Chido off the edge almost every other play in the second half but CSU game planned around it and went the other way. Need to get more of a push from the defensive line guys closer to the line of scrimmage. I don't want Chido and Laguda making tackles after 4-5 yards.
I'd rather have Chido roaming around the LOS than locked up on one of their ****ty WR's as a CB.

Yes, that is probably true. Leavitt will adjust his front accordingly, but I would expect 3-3-5 to be our base. The flexibility that Chido and Laguda can provide you by being pretty interchangeable as DB's and NB's gives the defense its best options.

If CSU comes out in a double TE or a power I, then I would imagine you see a lot of McCartney and Gilbert, so Carrell, Tupou, Jackson / Gilbert Gillam KO McCartney / Chido, Spoon, Moeller, and Thompson.
Agreed. The 3-3-5 doesn't mean you can only have 6 guys in the box. It allows for so much flexibility, given you have the personnel for it, and Chido and/or Laguda as the NB/S/OLB type players are prototypical for those positions.

If the offense comes out in a 3 or 4 WR spread look, they are athletic enough to play in space and cover, but if they come out in double tight or pro style, those guys can be pulled in closer to the box as contain defenders.

CSU's best chance in this game is their running game. I think we will get a steady diet of 2-TE sets with the Fullback. The WR will get thrown to in order to try to keep the safeties honest. Just a hunch. That's what I would do if I were them. If Tupou, Carrell and Samson can tie up five blockers, the LBs should have a big day. It all starts up front.

Agreed. The 3-3-5 doesn't mean you can only have 6 guys in the box. It allows for so much flexibility, given you have the personnel for it, and Chido and/or Laguda as the NB/S/OLB type players are prototypical for those positions.

If the offense comes out in a 3 or 4 WR spread look, they are athletic enough to play in space and cover, but if they come out in double tight or pro style, those guys can be pulled in closer to the box as contain defenders.
Having Chido playing in the box with 2 tight end sets seems like a great way to get the best player hurt. Laguda is a little bigger so can probably take more but still, it isn't prototypical to play guys in the box that weigh under 200 pounds.

They're jazzed about Marvin Kinsey and Colin Hill up here. Sounds like Kinsey could play a lot.

CSU's best chance in this game is their running game. I think we will get a steady diet of 2-TE sets with the Fullback. The WR will get thrown to in order to try to keep the safeties honest. Just a hunch. That's what I would do if I were them. If Tupou, Carrell and Samson can tie up five blockers, the LBs should have a big day. It all starts up front.

I anticipate that is where they will start, but my hope is that they do not have success against our DL and have to start getting creative. Our DB's and LB's should be able to take advantage of that.

Having Chido playing in the box with 2 tight end sets seems like a great way to get the best player hurt. Laguda is a little bigger so can probably take more but still, it isn't prototypical to play guys in the box that weigh under 200 pounds.
They're force players on the edge, not in the box LBs. It works.

On offense, CU needs to spread them out. CSU's secondary is a mess and so is their DL. They would probably have to use a LB where a team should be able to play a nickelback.

Buffs want to turn this into a track meet and force CSU to open up its offense.

On offense, CU needs to spread them out. CSU's secondary is a mess and so is their DL. They would probably have to use a LB where a team should be able to play a nickelback.

Agree. Our offense can really set up our defense, if they can execute. Put the pressure on CSU's offense to keep up.

They're force players on the edge, not in the box LBs. It works.
If CSU is running two tight end sets then the Chido would be in the box. Obviously they can sub receivers in and you can sub spoon in and shift Chido inside but if they come out with two tight ends there is no reason to only have 3 defensive lineman in the game.

The only thing that makes me think twice about that approach is that Sefo is probably still a little rusty. If we get 'good' Sefo we'll murder these guys.

the stages of the rocky mountain showdown for Buff fans (accurate .736 percent of the time, all-time):

1. fret about whether we could possibly lose to the sheep.
2. convince ourselves that, this year, they will be a pushover.
3. put up with several weeks of drooping ill-informed sheep trolls, hanging around and predicting total victory.
4. pissed off at the epic stupid emanating from the knuckle dragging lambs, i predict we win 55-10.
5. usually, we kill them; sometimes, we just beat them; roughly only 3 out of 10 times, we accidentally lose.
6. game ends. we move on to the real schedule, win or lose.
7. the sheep linger, trying to hang on to their one moment of annual relevance on the national stage.
8. we ignore them.
9. rinse; repeat. annually.

2016: CU 55 lambs 10

Go Buffs!

They're jazzed about Marvin Kinsey and Colin Hill up here. Sounds like Kinsey could play a lot.

RB Marvin Kinsey Jr.
-Freshman
-6'-1" 190lbs
-1468yds and 14tds his senior year
-3* RB on 24/7, listed as safety everywhere else

QB Colin Hill
-Freshman
-6'-4" 205lbs
-3*QB Dual Threat
-3500yds 35tds 11ints 58% comp

I imagine we will see a heavy dose of Kinsey, and I hope our staff takes him seriously. Seems to have the ability to be effective especially with a good OL.

I hope we see Hill. Our secondary will eat him alive.

Best way to beat RB's is force them to the sideline*

*Assuming you have the speed to not let them turn the corner.
You avoid having to worry about this by having your contain players (CBs, NBs) push everything inside, where your LBs and Safeties are playing inside out. You get in trouble when you lose that contain to the sideline and turn the corner as you mentioned.

You avoid having to worry about this by having your contain players (CBs, NBs) push everything inside, where your LBs and Safeties are playing inside out. You get in trouble when you lose that contain to the sideline and turn the corner as you mentioned.
You want to use that sideline as an extra defender though.

Either way, you have to have solid contain.

If CSU is running two tight end sets then the Chido would be in the box. Obviously they can sub receivers in and you can sub spoon in and shift Chido inside but if they come out with two tight ends there is no reason to only have 3 defensive lineman in the game.
Fully agree. The 3-3-5 is not meant to be matched up against a full-time 2 TE/2 RB set. If that's the formation CSU decides to run and only trot 1 WR out there the whole game, then yes, I'm sure they will bring out at least one other DL and/or LB. The 3-3-5 talk is assuming they aren't going to drastically change their offensive approach and go all Georgia Tech on us. Regardless of their talent at WR, I think we can safely assume CU will see at least a lot of 2 WR sets, if not 3.

I really hope we're able to push tempo on these guys. They're thin at DL and DB, and I want to see this game ripped wide open with their guys' hands on their knees between plays.

I really hope we're able to push tempo on these guys. They're thin at DL and DB, and I want to see this game ripped wide open with their guys' hands on their knees between plays.

Yep. Another huge key to this game. With as thin as they are at DL, if we can crank up the throttle, they won't have any gas left late in the game.

You want to use that sideline as an extra defender though.

Either way, you have to have solid contain.
Using the sideline as an extra defender is more of an approach DBs take with WRs. If they're split extremely wide (2-3 yards from the sideline), there's no reason to play head up or to the outside because the sideline prevents them from doing much that way. You are NEVER taught to force a RB inside out to the sideline.

Yep. Another huge key to this game. With as thin as they are at DL, if we can crank up the throttle, they won't have any gas left late in the game.

We operated at a pace last year that was top ~15% in the country. There's been talk about speeding that up, I just don't know if it'll be ready for week 1. For comparison, Texas Tech was top 5 in pace LY.

We operated at a pace last year that was top ~15% in the country. There's been talk about speeding that up, I just don't know if it'll be ready for week 1. For comparison, Texas Tech was top 5 in pace LY.

Even if we ran the same pace last year, it would work. Just has to be fast enough that they can't sub out.

I would think at very least CU will be walking up those outside backers into a 5-2 look if not switching out Gilbert for Jackson/Coleman/etc. at least at the beginning of the game. CSU wr's dropped 4 WR screens Saturday and I was told they were bad drops like those dudes can't catch. CU must dictate this game, CU needs the lead otherwise if the Rams are allowed a chance to run the ball it will be a fight.

Many of you will probably think I'm overconfident for CSU this year. But I sincerely think that they suck. I do think they'll be better as the season goes along, but they were thin at a lot of positions heading into camp and then had a number of injuries. They may actually be starting a freshman at safety who was at RB until a week ago, their best WR was in a boot this weekend, the guys they were counting on at DT have no game experience and missed camp, etc., etc.

So I'm looking for 3 things out of the CSU and ISU games, which will be walkover wins:

1. Stay healthy
2. Build confidence
3. Build depth

Season gets very interesting after that with opportunities to national headline wins at Michigan and at Oregon.

General question,

CU win's the opening coin toss.

Receive or Defer?

I think you take it. March down the field with the offense and get the lead. Put as much pressure as you can on CSU's offense from the very beginning.

Back