What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Rocky Mountain Showdown - News & Updates

Many of you will probably think I'm overconfident for CSU this year. But I sincerely think that they suck. I do think they'll be better as the season goes along, but they were thin at a lot of positions heading into camp and then had a number of injuries. They may actually be starting a freshman at safety who was at RB until a week ago, their best WR was in a boot this weekend, the guys they were counting on at DT have no game experience and missed camp, etc., etc.

So I'm looking for 3 things out of the CSU and ISU games, which will be walkover wins:

1. Stay healthy
2. Build confidence
3. Build depth

Season gets very interesting after that with opportunities to national headline wins at Michigan and at Oregon.

STOP.ITT.

General question,

CU win's the opening coin toss.

Receive or Defer?

I think you take it. March down the field with the offense and get the lead. Put as much pressure as you can on CSU's offense from the very beginning.
Good question. I always, always, always prefer to defer, and this game is no exception. Put the better of our two units out on the field, let them force a 3 and out, then let the offense get to work with momentum and better field position.

At this point, I don't trust our offense to be the tone setter in this game, and the last thing you want is to give the sheep any kind of confidence by forcing a punt early on.

General question,

Receive or Defer?

I think you take it. March down the field with the offense and get the lead. Put as much pressure as you can on CSU's offense from the very beginning.
Our strength is still our defense. I think you defer, put your defense out there against an inexperienced QB and set the tone early. Force a 3 and out and get the ball at around the 35 yard line, maybe better if you can generate a return.

CSU is going to be good at running the football this year, but I don't think you will see disproportional amount of power I, two tight end sets, or sh$$ like that. Bobo, very much the SEC protege, likes balance and convention. He was plain Jane at Georgia even though Richt was one of the few SEC HCs willing to be a little unconventional. Bobo has said he want's a balanced attack at CSU, and there's no reason to doubt him.

I think they will play Nick Stevens and he is a very good QB. Put up good numbers last year. Fan base didn't like him cause he didn't single handedly make the lamies win games (the same way CU fans hate on Sefo). If they play that kid that followed Bobo from Georgia (can't remember his name)...that means he made some strides this off-season. They got good enough receivers to keep us honest.

I agree though...we have a mean 3-3-5 with Chido at nb, but IMHO we should be in the 3-4-4 for CSU with Gilbert and McCartney on the edge and Chido and Oliver at cb.

Many of you will probably think I'm overconfident for CSU this year. But I sincerely think that they suck. I do think they'll be better as the season goes along, but they were thin at a lot of positions heading into camp and then had a number of injuries. They may actually be starting a freshman at safety who was at RB until a week ago, their best WR was in a boot this weekend, the guys they were counting on at DT have no game experience and missed camp, etc., etc.

So I'm looking for 3 things out of the CSU and ISU games, which will be walkover wins:

1. Stay healthy
2. Build confidence
3. Build depth

Season gets very interesting after that with opportunities to national headline wins at Michigan and at Oregon.
About the boot thing, he was in a boot until the very last series when he took it off went in and caught 2 passes idk if that series made it to the stat sheet but it seems like a very CSU thing to do. Colon was also in a boot (the starting freshman NT) until after the scrimmage when he was conditioning and running stairs. One sincere thing I was told is Izzy sprained his ankle pretty good.

CSU is going to be good at running the football this year, but I don't think you will see disproportional amount of power I, two tight end sets, or sh$$ like that. Bobo, very much the SEC protege, likes balance and convention. He was plain Jane at Georgia even though Richt was one of the few SEC HCs willing to be a little unconventional. Bobo has said he want's a balanced attack at CSU, and there's no reason to doubt him.

I think they will play Nick Stevens and he is a very good QB. Put up good numbers last year. Fan base didn't like him cause he didn't single handedly make the lamies win games (the same way CU fans hate on Sefo). If they play that kid that followed Bobo from Georgia (can't remember his name)...that means he made some strides this off-season. They got good enough receivers to keep us honest.

I agree though...we have a mean 3-3-5 with Chido at nb, but IMHO we should be in the 3-4-4 for CSU with Gilbert and McCartney on the edge and Chido and Oliver at cb.

I doubt we see too much 2 TE sets, unless one of the TEs is a converted tackle. It looks like they're heaviest TE is 240 lbs, and the others guys are lighter newcomers.

CSU loves it's TEs, though. We need to be prepared for that.

And the WR screen. They ran that play about 100 times a few years ago and we could never figure out how to stop it. Of course, I think Hawkins was our coach at the time, so that probably had something to do with it. "No way they run that play again, so no need to defend against it."

General question,

Receive or Defer?

Defer. I don't trust our O to do anything the first series, plus there's the outside possibility of a poor return/sack/to that pumps life into the rams. I trust our D much more than our O not to give up a big play. Plus, with the adrenaline pumping in the first game of the season, I'd just rather be playing defense than offense.

This game is going to be a freak show. Lots of drunken idiots.

I remember the last time I had a Lot C pass. Driving out of that lot was like driving through a battle field. Trash everywhere. Tons of broken glass.

Good times.

This game is going to be a freak show. Lots of drunken idiots.

I remember the last time I had a Lot C pass. Driving out of that lot was like driving through a battle field. Trash everywhere. Tons of broken glass.

Good times.
Is that where the Gate takes place this year ? Lot C ?

Not sure if this is too much to ask, but dream scenario:

We win 45-0, the Big XII releases an official statement of "lol @ CSU," Sefo makes all the throws we think he can't, and Winfree's ACL heals miraculously making him available the rest of the season.

General question,

Receive or Defer?

Defer. Put your strongest unit on the field first. Expect to shut 'em down and get great field position.

If Levitt is the coach we all think he is the Buffs will be ready to stop the edge rush that they killed us on last year. With Tupou in the middle that will mean that their running game doesn't work well enough to carry the load and they have to pass against our secondary. Should be able to dominate in that situation including forcing some turnovers and controlling field position making it easier on our offense.

Fail to contain the edge like we did last year and it becomes a whole different game.

Back