What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

San Diego State @ CU Game thread - 11/28 @ 3 PM MT on P12 Network

Never actually heard Johnson's call of that before.

Thanks for posting it.
In Johnson's excitement, he called it a 60 yard throw. More like 50, but still Totally. ****ing. Awesome!

That was the moment I believed the come back was possible. We left the rooftop deck and went back to our seats for better sight lines for the remainder of the game.

Nixon has done some great stuff here. I won’t dispute that. At the end of the day, that interception didn’t cost us much, so it’s no big deal. I wonder if that play would have been different had Stanley or Shenault been the intended receiver. No way of knowing for sure, but those two guys seem to fight a lot harder for balls than KD does.
Have no idea if the play would have turned out differently.

The throw itself may have been different.

KD to be effective has to be wide open. One of the things I've seen since he got here is that he presents the QB a very small target, he doesn't have a big catch radius and he doesn't adjust a great deal to where the ball goes.

I know it is an unfair comparison, would be for almost any other receiver we have had in recent years but on of the things that makes Viska not just a good but instead an outstanding WR is his catch radius. He has long arms, can and will stretch almost any direction to get the ball, and if his fingers extend far enough to get to the ball he probably catches it. Because of this the QB can not only throw the ball to him but away from coverage. Throw it a little higher to go over the DBs reach, throw it behind and let the DB overrun it, put it low or over the sidelines where it's a Viska catch or incomplete.

KD doesn't do many of those. Stanley doesn't have the kind of range that Viska has but he has a much bigger target than KD, Lavante doesn't have the strength to fight through defenders like his brother but may turn out to be more acrobatic and a little quicker.

KD has been a great Buff and I appreciate what he has done here but if I'm coaching this team KD is not in my top 3 WRs in playing time or targets.

Have no idea if the play would have turned out differently.

The throw itself may have been different.

KD to be effective has to be wide open. One of the things I've seen since he got here is that he presents the QB a very small target, he doesn't have a big catch radius and he doesn't adjust a great deal to where the ball goes.

I know it is an unfair comparison, would be for almost any other receiver we have had in recent years but on of the things that makes Viska not just a good but instead an outstanding WR is his catch radius. He has long arms, can and will stretch almost any direction to get the ball, and if his fingers extend far enough to get to the ball he probably catches it. Because of this the QB can not only throw the ball to him but away from coverage. Throw it a little higher to go over the DBs reach, throw it behind and let the DB overrun it, put it low or over the sidelines where it's a Viska catch or incomplete.

KD doesn't do many of those. Stanley doesn't have the kind of range that Viska has but he has a much bigger target than KD, Lavante doesn't have the strength to fight through defenders like his brother but may turn out to be more acrobatic and a little quicker.

KD has been a great Buff and I appreciate what he has done here but if I'm coaching this team KD is not in my top 3 WRs in playing time or targets.
I love what KD has done during his time as a Buff, and hope he will do more. He's a leader in that young and talented receiver room. My inexpert estimation of the top four are (in alphabetical order) Nixon, Rice, Shenault, and Stanley. Arias might fit in there somewhere.

I thought the game wasn't announced til Thursday, but you could be right.
It was a bye week for them with the only possibility being that they would play CU. So they prepped as if they would play us. At least that’s how I understand it.

I had to catch the first half on radio and then follow the second half online, but I'm glad I was listening to Barnett instead of reading this thread, lol. Totally different perspectives on the game.

Honestly, if someone didn't know the score, reading this thread, they'd have thought we lost by 20, lol.
What did Barnett say about the game as it was happening?

It was a bye week for them with the only possibility being that they would play CU. So they prepped as if they would play us. At least that’s how I understand it.
Correct. CU prepped for USC up until Thanksgiving dinner, given the information from USC, then had about 40 hours to prep for an unusual and talented defense. Fun Fact: Landman beat the coaches into the facility on Thanksgiving night for film prep.

Indeed. With the full week to prepare for us, is preparing for SoCal until Thursday, only one walk through, center out, guard filling in and more filling in behind him, and a TE roster of ‘Uh...who?’ filling that position, it’s wasn’t ideal. Still don’t understand what happened with people saying they were stacking the box to stuff the run and also dropping 7-8 into coverage to stop the pass.

And I’m sorry. I think for several years the Buffs are worse when KD plays. Lots of talk but he isn’t big enough to fight for balls on the outside and isn’t quick twitch enough in the slot position. Catch radius isn’t there and doesn’t get open enough. We are worse with him playing. I like his attitude and think he maybe should move to coaching in the future. I’d rather see Arias/Shenault/Rice on the outside 100 out of 100 times. I’d rather see Stanley/Jackson 100 out of 100 times in the slot.

Maybe it’s just me. It seemed we were really trying to target him and it hurt us.

Correct. CU prepped for USC up until Thanksgiving dinner, given the information from USC, then had about 40 hours to prep for an unusual and talented defense. Fun Fact: Landman beat the coaches into the facility on Thanksgiving night for film prep.
Can't imagine how good Landman would be if we were still in the era of run heavy offenses. His only real weakness is his quickness and top end speed in pass coverage. Even with that you can see that he has worked his butt of to get better and it shows.

He would be so much fun to watch if he could line up over a guard gap and play search and destroy on RBs like they did back in the days of Biekert and Johnson.

What did Barnett say about the game as it was happening?

Mostly what we've been talking about the last couple of days, now that the emotions have cooled: how SDSU had a big, physical, experienced defense, how the Buffs had little time to prepare for a very different defense, and that the CU defense was going to have to carry the game.

Mostly, his point was that it was to be expected that CU wasn't marching up and down the field on SDSU's defense.

Which wasn't to say he didn't have critiques, but nothing like in the heat of the moment here, lol.

Mostly what we've been talking about the last couple of days, now that the emotions have cooled: how SDSU had a big, physical, experienced defense, how the Buffs had little time to prepare for a very different defense, and that the CU defense was going to have to carry the game.

Mostly, his point was that it was to be expected that CU wasn't marching up and down the field on SDSU's defense.

Which wasn't to say he didn't have critiques, but nothing like in the heat of the moment here, lol.

He also thought that running with 4th string TEs wasn't going to work with this offense.

I actually enjoy low scoring football games (not so much that I watch soccer, mind you) . This one was frustrating as a fan, because we wanted our offense to get going. But I appreciate a little defense, and there was plenty of it in this one. As long as you know the outcome and don't have stress, it might be fun to go back and watch IMO.
Yeah, this one would be much better on a rewatch than watching live.

Back