What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

San Diego State @ CU Game thread - 11/28 @ 3 PM MT on P12 Network

I would also like to thank SDSU for stepping up no matter how horrible this game was.
As a college FB fan, you're not used to watching defensive battles anymore! Under the new CF environment, it's a defensvie battle if it's 42-31!

That game featured two good defenses! SDS was a Top 10 rated "D" with a five game win streak playing PAC teams!

Won't even mention they are one of few teams playing a 3-3-5, which is not easy when all you have is ONE walk-through practice against it! (AZ is another, so it was good practice for Noyer, to see it live, by a team that features it and has played it as it's base"D" and played it well, for awhile!)

Last edited:
I say we should just pull a UCF and declare ourselves undefeated National Champions! What say you?

Especially since the ***** condoms backed out of the game with us because of Corono virus concerns. How convenient. :cautious: .
Remember it was a UCF team led by All American DOUCHE, coach Scott Frost that claimed that!

Don't want to be part of anything that Frosty the Blowhard, is part of!

Baker wasn't a threat to run like Johnson and Brookshier were. We'd have probably shut them out had they not made the QB change.
Held 'em to 3 points as it was! Brookshire was little threat except to the worms in Folsom's grass! And was no great shakes on his run game. Especailly after the Buffs saw DTR in the first game.

Last edited:
Other random note

We are now 3-0 vs teams I would argue we are of equal talent.

Last year we lost those games, and at home. See Arizona and Air Force

To me this suggests we are well prepared and well coached
It's also of note that all three of those teams were from California where the covid restrictions were much more strict.

The play calling wasn’t vanilla to keep plays off film. It was vanilla because there was no opportunity to put together a game plan.
This, they really didn't have any practice time to work on SDSU specific stuff.

Also much of what they have done this year on offense has been built off the tight end sets. Both the running game and the passing game have been based on using the TEs and so it's no surprise that they were ineffective when the only TE they had was an emergency guy.

A lot of Noyer's effectiveness this year has been based on hitting short and intermediate stuff keeping the LBs and safeties honest. Russell had 5 receptions for 77 yards in the first two games which was enough to force teams to worry about covering him.

It also looked like for whatever reason Noyer was just not as sharp as we have seen him in the first two games. A part of that as well may have not been having time to get comfortable with his reads against a Brady Hoke defense that looks different than most.

This, they really didn't have any practice time to work on SDSU specific stuff.

Also much of what they have done this year on offense has been built off the tight end sets. Both the running game and the passing game have been based on using the TEs and so it's no surprise that they were ineffective when the only TE they had was an emergency guy.

A lot of Noyer's effectiveness this year has been based on hitting short and intermediate stuff keeping the LBs and safeties honest. Russell had 5 receptions for 77 yards in the first two games which was enough to force teams to worry about covering him.

It also looked like for whatever reason Noyer was just not as sharp as we have seen him in the first two games. A part of that as well may have not been having time to get comfortable with his reads against a Brady Hoke defense that looks different than most.
I vote for the lack of preparation for this type of "D". A 3-3-5 (actually more of a 3-3-4, plus a rover, installed and perfected by Rocky Long over a number of years there, to stop the spread) isn't your regular defense, ever-shifting between a run and a pass shield, it's odd and normally would take a few days of study and practice, for both Chiv and Noyer to figure out.. Plus don't underestimate SDS just because they are MWC; they had a 5-0 streak agianst the Pac going into that game, so they weren't scared of the PAC hype/rep by any means.

Lack of preparation obviously had some to do with the lack of production on offense. However, we have seen this with Chev before. I'm not concerned, yet. Chev has a head coach and QB coach who are playing a pivotal role in what we are seeing so far and think that will continue.

Good game...it was nice to see defense played in CFB. I don't get the "we didn't have time to prepare" argument...SDSU didn't have time either. We had the better athletes which I think wins games like this. My 2 cents.

Lack of preparation obviously had some to do with the lack of production on offense. However, we have seen this with Chev before. I'm not concerned, yet. Chev has a head coach and QB coach who are playing a pivotal role in what we are seeing so far and think that will continue.
Buffs win. Coaching staff gets a free pass all considering.

Good game...it was nice to see defense played in CFB. I don't get the "we didn't have time to prepare" argument...SDSU didn't have time either. We had the better athletes which I think wins games like this. My 2 cents.
SDSU knew about the possibility of this game happening early in the week, so they definitely got more film and on field practice work done for CU than CU did for them.

Is there any chance of a replay or youtube link to the game? I drove around aimlessly listening to Johnson and Barnett.

You really want to watch that piece of **** game?
I actually enjoy low scoring football games (not so much that I watch soccer, mind you) . This one was frustrating as a fan, because we wanted our offense to get going. But I appreciate a little defense, and there was plenty of it in this one. As long as you know the outcome and don't have stress, it might be fun to go back and watch IMO.

it is a helluva lot easier to prepare a defense to disrupt an offense than an offense to attack an unusual defense. Note how poorly SDSU’s offensive attack was. Yes, they had injuries, but They weren’t prepared on the o-line either. And of course, Landman was playing on another level.

I actually enjoy low scoring football games (not so much that I watch soccer, mind you) . This one was frustrating as a fan, because we wanted our offense to get going. But I appreciate a little defense, and there was plenty of it in this one. As long as you know the outcome and don't have stress, it might be fun to go back and watch IMO.
That's fair and the defense was great for sure, but I just felt like, outside of the first drive, the offense killed itself with sloppy play and mistakes which made it hard to watch. For me, personally, that was a take the win, but flush it and move on kind of game.

it is a helluva lot easier to prepare a defense to disrupt an offense than an offense to attack an unusual defense. Note how poorly SDSU’s offensive attack was. Yes, they had injuries, but They weren’t prepared on the o-line either. And of course, Landman was playing on another level.
Yeah, the 3-3-5 is so unique and you don't really see it from many P5 teams. I can imagine it being tough for an OL without any prep and basically having to learn and adjust mid game.

Yeah, the 3-3-5 is so unique and you don't really see it from many P5 teams. I can imagine it being tough for an OL without any prep and basically having to learn and adjust mid game.
Why don't more teams run it? There must be a liability.

Is this the defensive version of the triple option? It's not effective if you see it week after week, but if only a few teams run it, it's difficult to adapt to?

Back