What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

San Diego State @ CU Game thread - 11/28 @ 3 PM MT on P12 Network

I remember Hawkins running a 3-3-5 and just got absolutely abused. That probably has more to do with that particular staff than the scheme itself, though.

Why don't more teams run it? There must be a liability.

Is this the defensive version of the triple option? It's not effective if you see it week after week, but if only a few teams run it, it's difficult to adapt to?
The liability is that you are typically smaller across the board so you're more compromised in the run game more than you would be with more traditional personnel. It also requires some special athletes in the Secondary, where the 2 Safeties and extra CB have both run and pass responsibilities.

It's basically a smoke and mirrors defense designed to confuse the OL blocking and the QB reads because the amount of pressure packages and alignments are almost endless. The CFB elites don't run it because they have the guys at all 3 levels to play the more standard/NFL style defenses.

Lack of preparation obviously had some to do with the lack of production on offense. However, we have seen this with Chev before. I'm not concerned, yet. Chev has a head coach and QB coach who are playing a pivotal role in what we are seeing so far and think that will continue.
Guess you didn't get the memo: Chiv and Noyer had ONE DAY (and NO practices) to prepare for one of the most unique types of college defense, run by a team that's perfected it and recruited to it, over a number of years (their front seven were all RS upperclassmen and their DBs were ALL Srs!!) and has played it into the Top Ten of college defenses regularly!!!!

And you want to diss Chiv? Get real!

Why don't more teams run it? There must be a liability.

Is this the defensive version of the triple option? It's not effective if you see it week after week, but if only a few teams run it, it's difficult to adapt to?
YES! If you only see it once or twice, it's tough! (see the Service Academies' offense.)

Guess you didn't get the memo: Chiv and Noyer had ONE DAY (and NO practices) to prepare for one of the most unique types of college defense, run by a team that's perfected it and recruited to it, over a number of years (their front seven were all RS upperclassmen and their DBs were ALL Srs!!) and has played it into the Top Ten of college defenses regularly!!!!

I freely wanna "diss" Chev. I don't think he's a good play caller. I think he turtles when anything goes wrong.

Their defensive formation didn’t force the biggest momentum play for them (deep out, far hash against deceptively tight coverage —> pick 6). Given the flow of the game, this play call and execution was poor.
i agree - you need a Favre type canon to make a field side deep out work consistently

Their defensive formation didn’t force the biggest momentum play for them (deep out, far hash against deceptively tight coverage —> pick 6). Given the flow of the game, this play call and execution was poor.
Agreed, but the offense was lackluster and out of sorts for most of the game outside of the first drive and Noyer was under a lot more pressure than the first two games.

Where did I diss Chev? Also, it is "Chev", not "Chiv"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After reflecting on it, I agree with others the W was more impressive than one would think given the lack of prep time and that unusual D.

Noyer has been fantastic this year and I'm a huge fan but he doesn't have "out from the far hash" arm strength. Frankly most college qb's don't. Really bad decision on Noyer, but equally bad play call. That was his first read on the play.

Landman with National Defensive POTW: https://cubuffs.com/news/2020/11/30...of-week-honors-named-butkus-semifinalist.aspx

Against the Aztecs, he recorded 11 tackles (10 solo), which included six stops at or behind the line of scrimmage: three quarterback sacks, a tackle for loss, and two tackles for zero gains. He had four third down stops, as all three of his sacks were on third downs, and added a pass broken up (also on third down) and a touchdown save. He was in for all 59 snaps on defense, and on special teams duty, he added a forced fair catch on punt coverage.

On Sunday (Nov. 29), Landman was selected as the Walter Camp Football Foundation's National Defensive Player of the Week, the first defensive Buffalo to earn the honor since CB Terrence Wheatley for his three interception game at Texas Tech in 2007. Otherwise, you have to go back to 1996 for the player previously honored, FS Steve Rosga against Oklahoma State.

Noyer has been fantastic this year and I'm a huge fan but he doesn't have "out from the far hash" arm strength. Frankly most college qb's don't. Really bad decision on Noyer, but equally bad play call. That was his first read on the play.
It may be some of my anti-KD Nixon bias creeping out, but I feel like he could have helped with that throw a little more. He didn’t do much to shield the defender from the ball.

Anytime my anti-KD Nixon bias creeps in I have to remind myself of this...

Nixon has done some great stuff here. I won’t dispute that. At the end of the day, that interception didn’t cost us much, so it’s no big deal. I wonder if that play would have been different had Stanley or Shenault been the intended receiver. No way of knowing for sure, but those two guys seem to fight a lot harder for balls than KD does.

1000%. This is why I blame Chev 75% and Noyer 25%. Bad call first and foremost. Bad read secondarily.
While i wouldnt go as far as fantastic, he has vastly exceeded my expectations... which were lower than Bernard Jackson levels. Chev turtled from that bad call onward.

Nixon has done some great stuff here. I won’t dispute that. At the end of the day, that interception didn’t cost us much, so it’s no big deal. I wonder if that play would have been different had Stanley or Shenault been the intended receiver. No way of knowing for sure, but those two guys seem to fight a lot harder for balls than KD does.
No, it would have been the same result. It was a quick out to the wide side and the corner read it immediately and jumped the route. Bad play call 1st, bad decision to throw it 2nd.

The liability is that you are typically smaller across the board so you're more compromised in the run game more than you would be with more traditional personnel. It also requires some special athletes in the Secondary, where the 2 Safeties and extra CB have both run and pass responsibilities.

It's basically a smoke and mirrors defense designed to confuse the OL blocking and the QB reads because the amount of pressure packages and alignments are almost endless. The CFB elites don't run it because they have the guys at all 3 levels to play the more standard/NFL style defenses.
Imagine if they played Alabama with Derrick Henry or us with Chris Brown the way they were lined up. We needed to actually have a bigger back or a two-back set for that game, so we could run them over and soften up the secondary.

Back