What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sandusky update (more evidence against Joe P)

JoPaBear.jpg

Too soon? :huh:

So, I'm thinking that the best response for Penn State right now should be to completely suspend the football program. Honor the scholarships for the players that still want to stay at the school, and help the players who want to go elsewhere and play to do so. I am pretty sure there are no "sit out a year" transfer rules if your school has dropped the sport, so there wouldn't be an issue with that.

Notice I wrote "suspend," not "eliminate." They should spend the next 2 or 3 years designing and setting up a new program from the ground up, and this time, they should actually do it the right way. In the meantime, they should encourage their season ticket holders to send at least some of the money they were spending on tickets/donations to a charity for abused children.

So, I'm thinking that the best response for Penn State right now should be to completely suspend the football program. Honor the scholarships for the players that still want to stay at the school, and help the players who want to go elsewhere and play to do so. I am pretty sure there are no "sit out a year" transfer rules if your school has dropped the sport, so there wouldn't be an issue with that.

Notice I wrote "suspend," not "eliminate." They should spend the next 2 or 3 years designing and setting up a new program from the ground up, and this time, they should actually do it the right way. In the meantime, they should encourage their season ticket holders to send at least some of the money they were spending on tickets/donations to a charity for abused children.

That sounds great and all, but it won't happen. They have conference scheduling obligations that need to be met. They have contracts with vendors, etc.

Shouldn't the bear be wearing Depends?
The bear or the poor kid who's backside got reamed? Maybe in bad taste, but it underscores the pure evil and depravity of the foul acts of a guy who should no longer be wasting oxygen on this planet. Honestly, I think the coward enablers who sold children's souls so they could protect their FB team are no better....

While I personally think it would be interesting to see this type of penalty (I am too young to have experienced first hand what happened at SMU) I do not see much reason for it. Everyone involved will be removed from the system. A good portion of them will have criminal charges. What does shutting down the football program for a couple of years only to rebuild it really accomplish? Not trying to start a huge debate here but I just dont see the value in it. It really only harms people who did nothing wrong to begin with.

While I personally think it would be interesting to see this type of penalty (I am too young to have experienced first hand what happened at SMU) I do not see much reason for it. Everyone involved will be removed from the system. A good portion of them will have criminal charges. What does shutting down the football program for a couple of years only to rebuild it really accomplish? Not trying to start a huge debate here but I just dont see the value in it. It really only harms people who did nothing wrong to begin with.

^^^^
THIS

rep :thumbsup:

I see the value in it because it helps show the institution as a whole, and other institutions, that this type of behavior won't be tolerated, and they'd better make sure they hire the right people and have the right rules and regulations in place.

I see the value in it because it helps show the institution as a whole, and other institutions, that this type of behavior won't be tolerated, and they'd better make sure they hire the right people and have the right rules and regulations in place.

Fair enough. It just seems to me that this situation is WAY bigger than football. I think sending these guys to "federal pound me in the ***** prison" to reap what they have sown is a pretty good message too.

This and the absolute lack of instituional control that lead to where they are today is about as bad a case as has been uncovered in NCAA history. Payments to athletes or recruiting violations pale in comparison to what has taken place at PSU. I am not sure how they are not going to be able to drop the biggest penalty in history on this intstitution.

Fair enough. It just seems to me that this situation is WAY bigger than football. I think sending these guys to "federal pound me in the ***** prison" to reap what they have sown is a pretty good message too.

I agree..... but you think any institution that just fires the offenders should get off without punishment? PSU, IMO, created an environment for this entire thing to foster - mostly to protect athletics. I think the punishment needs to be levied to show athletics should never been protected at the expense of criminal behavior.

I was on the fence as far as the NCAA getting involved, but I've been sliding towards the belief that the NCAA should get involved with the AD aspects of all this.

I see the value as well. At a minimum, hopefully PSU will be paying massive financial restitution to all victims as well as massive amounts to organizations that help victims. One way or another this needs to hit the University like a ton of bricks and make it difficult to recover.

Not disagreeing with you at all here. That will happen to the individuals but there will be a penalty for PSU as well. I am beginning to think it will be the death penalty.

I think covering up criminal behavior to protect the FB team or it's coaches is lack of institutional control. No different than OU during the Charles "Cocaine" Thompson era, or other episodes. Now, can the NCAA establish the crimes were covered up, at least to a substantial degree, to benefit the FB or AD as a whole? That would be the question as to whether NCAA sanction would be appropriate. You would have to directly tie the cover up and continuing criminal behavior to the AD. In this case, I think you can, but I can see how others view it as a purely criminal act by a sick pervert and his cronies who were to cowardly or too perverted themselves to see the situeation for what is was...the worst kind of abuse there is. As far as I am concerned, anybody who abuses kids, and som of the most vulnerable ones around at that, the way Jerry the Molester did ought to suffer...and suffer badly. I'll leave it to you imagination.

As far as I am concerned, anybody who abuses kids, and som of the most vulnerable ones around at that, the way Jerry the Molester did ought to suffer...and suffer badly. I'll leave it to you imagination.

:nod:

[video=youtube;tVRPz6-Tkww]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVRPz6-Tkww&feature=fvwrel[/video]

I dont know if anything will come of it but I read somewhere that Penn St is gonna have to respond to questions from the NCAA Prez. I cant remember where the hell I read it. This is supposed to take place at the "appropriate time" whenever the hell that is, no telling with the NCAA. Not surprised by any of this really, every question I had about how the hell this could go on for so long got answered. Still makes me sick to my stomach and pisses me off. Whatever the living enablers get, they deserve.

Last edited:
Alright, I am on board. Lets bury them. Probably because of past experiences I usually view these teams (PSU football) as a collection of young men and their coaches and not in terms of the whole institutions (Penn State University). When looking at it as a whole I do believe that something needs to be done.

Alright, I am on board. Lets bury them. Probably because of past experiences I usually view these teams (PSU football) as a collection of young men and their coaches and not in terms of the whole institutions (Penn State University). When looking at it as a whole I do believe that something needs to be done.

I definitely think that if penalties come down, then PSU players should be able to transfer with no penalty

That's pretty much the rest of the nation's viewpoint on our scandal that landed us where we sit today. PSU is a much deeper level of crime, but the institutional controls have some similarities.

I see the value as well. At a minimum, hopefully PSU will be paying massive financial restitution to all victims as well as massive amounts to organizations that help victims. One way or another this needs to hit the University like a ton of bricks and make it difficult to recover.

HEY.... THAT IS MY MONEY you are talking about....

Nike to take JoePa's name off childcare center. Statement from Nike CEO Mark Parker: "I have been deeply saddened by the news coming out of this investigation at Penn State. It is a terrible tragedy that children were unprotected from such abhorrent crimes. With the findings released today, I have decided to change the name of our child care center at our World Headquarters. My thoughts are with the victims and the Penn State community."

I agree..... but you think any institution that just fires the offenders should get off without punishment? PSU, IMO, created an environment for this entire thing to foster - mostly to protect athletics. I think the punishment needs to be levied to show athletics should never been protected at the expense of criminal behavior.

I was on the fence as far as the NCAA getting involved, but I've been sliding towards the belief that the NCAA should get involved with the AD aspects of all this.

Can you show me the NCAA regulation against having assistant coaches molest boys in locker room showers? As much as this situation is repugnant, the NCAA doesn't have much of a dog in this fight. I don't see where any NCAA rules have been broken. The NCAA isn't about regulating human decency, nor should they be, if you think about it. They rightly leave that up to the authorities, who appear to be doing their job at this point.

Nike to take JoePa's name off childcare center. Statement from Nike CEO Mark Parker: "I have been deeply saddened by the news coming out of this investigation at Penn State. It is a terrible tragedy that children were unprotected from such abhorrent crimes. With the findings released today, I have decided to change the name of our child care center at our World Headquarters. My thoughts are with the victims and the Penn State community."

Is Nike Childcare center another name for a sweatshop?

Can you show me the NCAA regulation against having assistant coaches molest boys in locker room showers? As much as this situation is repugnant, the NCAA doesn't have much of a dog in this fight. I don't see where any NCAA rules have been broken. The NCAA isn't about regulating human decency, nor should they be, if you think about it. They rightly leave that up to the authorities, who appear to be doing their job at this point.

:iagree:

Sacky probably will feel the need for a shower now. :huh:

ymssr

This is it in a nutshell.

Nothing can undo the horror of what has already happened. The only thing we can do now is to try to comfort the victims and send a clear message that this should never happen again. Unfortunately if there is no real and substantial penalty then there is no strong message to those who would put their program or their organization in front of the lives of the innocent.

No, but I'm sure there are some regulations about criminal behavior by athletic staff and criminal coverups in there somewhere.

Back