What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The 2020 COVID Coaching Carousel

This is a free country, do whatever the hell you want. But skipping out on a school song/ritual because you think its “origins” are racist but it doesn’t even say anything racist, 120 years later is pretty stupid. There was a saying from lee about upholding southern values/traditions. A Texas president took that saying and made it about Texas. Some people used blackface over a hundred years ago... no way. I’ve been workin on the railroad is now considered racist, sweet.

It’s a tradition used in celebration of the school. People who went to school there are upset about a bunch of kids making a much bigger deal about something than it needs to be, only to make it an even bigger deal. It’s just a dumb situation that shouldn’t have been a situation to begin with. There are much more important racial issues to focus time/effort on that a silly fight song for the university of Texas but unfortunately these are the ones that always come up.
Read the room. All these grand southern traditions and values that are undoubtedly rooted in racism and slavery aren't being tolerated anymore. Statues are being removed, names of schools are being changed, flags are being changed.

"There was a saying from Robert E Lee about upholding southern traditions/values"

"The emails over the weekend were stupid, but..."

"Some people used blackface over a hundred years ago"

"There are much more important racial issue to focus time/effort on"

Again... Read the room

This is not about a song. It’s about a bunch of rich old white guys wanting to tell a bunch of black kids how to act. No one is preventing those old white guys from singing the song, but how dare those punk kids walk off the field and not sing it with them like they are supposed to. It’s now a power struggle - these old rich white donors want everyone to know who is in charge of the program. Their money is in charge, not some young, know-nothing black kids who are lucky to play football and attend such a distinguished institution. Only 6% of the student body is black anyway, so they shouldn’t really have a say in this and if they’re upset they can go somewhere else. That attitude is on display now and it’s disgusting.

Donors have basically put the UT prez on notice that they expect him to do what they want because they bring the money and they are more important than the students who are dumb and replaceable.

The song should go just to make a statement that this attitude is unacceptable, but I suspect the money will win the day.

Last edited:
:unsure: What would be an example of these values/traditions?
State pride, a sort of southern hospitality to others and outsiders, a strong conviction towards capitalism. Values evolve over time, did Texas have issues with racism that still exist today? Of course but societies change over time. That doesn’t mean that a school song taking pride in your state should just be thrown out.

let’s just get rid of our national anthem too while we are at it because it was created while the institution of slavery was still in place. Why don’t we just get rid of the entire constitution too because after all it was created by people who owned slaves.

there is historical context here that is being completely ignored. Didn’t the university agree to remove all of the statues around campus of confederate generals? All they did was say now we are going a little too far with this ****.

The folks in Norman are laughing their asses off right now (and checking to see if any of their traditions might be tangentially connected to the Confederacy).

State pride, a sort of southern hospitality to others and outsiders, a strong conviction towards capitalism. Values evolve over time, did Texas have issues with racism that still exist today? Of course but societies change over time. That doesn’t mean that a school song taking pride in your state should just be thrown out.

let’s just get rid of our national anthem too while we are at it because it was created while the institution of slavery was still in place. Why don’t we just get rid of the entire constitution too because after all it was created by people who owned slaves.

there is historical context here that is being completely ignored. Didn’t the university agree to remove all of the statues around campus of confederate generals? All they did was say now we are going a little too far with this ****.
First paragraph: Yea, that's always what REL was talking about when it came to southern values. Or dixiecrats, or modern Republicans. Your blinders are showing.

Second paragraph: alert, really bad slippery slope argument.

Third paragraph first two sentences: are you saying the song, even if it does have issues in the eyes of the students, should be something they are forced to sing with the old white folks because some other racist history stuff stopped being venerated?

Final sentence: how does this **** affect you personally and why do you think it's gone too far?

This is not about a song. It’s about a bunch of rich old white guys wanting to tell a bunch of black kids how to act. No one is preventing those old white guys from singing the song, but how dare those punk kids walk off the field and not sing it with them like they are supposed to. It’s now a power struggle - these old rich white donors want everyone to know who is in charge of the program. Their money is in charge, not some young, know-nothing black kids who are lucky to play football and attend such a distinguished institution. Only 6% of the study body is black anyway, so they shouldn’t really have a say in this and if they’re upset they can go somewhere else. That attitude is on display now and it’s disgusting.

Donors have basically put the UT prez on notice that they expect him to do what they want because they bring the money and they are more important than the students who are dumb and replaceable.

The song should go just to make a statement that this attitude is unacceptable, but I suspect the money will win the day.

Correct. The school kept playing the song and donors lost their **** when players were not required to sing it with them.

I guess I do not understand the attitude that the players have taken it too far. The donors still get to sing the song at games, so why are they so pissed?

The old white guys can sing it. The University can still have it played. The players who don't care can still participate.

The issue is the University is allowing the old white guy boosters to mandate that players are present when the song is played and being sung. Why do old people have the mindset that they can tell others what to do?

ab86165c-5cef-4232-878f-b29c0a898b70_text_hi.gif

This Texas song thing. I honestly don't understand the attachment to a school's alma mater song. I can't name the VT alma mater song, and not sure I'd recognize it if played. I assume I heard it at least once at commencement, but don't recall (however, my commencement was a **** show of emotional outpouring, occurring a few weeks after the massacre).

This Texas song thing. I honestly don't understand the attachment to a school's alma mater song. I can't name the VT alma mater song, and not sure I'd recognize it if played. I assume I heard it at least once at commencement, but don't recall (however, my commencement was a **** show of emotional outpouring, occurring a few weeks after the massacre).
"something, something, (mumble), (mumble),....DEAR OL' CUUUUUUUUUUU!"

Correct. The school kept playing the song and donors lost their **** when players were not required to sing it with them.

I guess I do not understand the attitude that the players have taken it too far. The donors still get to sing the song at games, so why are they so pissed?
Because that’s not what the students said, they want the school to drop the song entirely. So then by saying you want to drop the song completely because it is racist you are essentially telling boosters, fans and alumni they are all racist if they stay out and sing it. It’s not a shock that pisses some people off, especially those two donate millions to the athletic department so these athletes can have better facilities than the majority of the NFL.

There are tons of Texan values that don’t involve racism but okay I’ll get over myself.
When did Texas decide it was part of Southern state pride btw? I've had lots of people tell me Texas is not the traditional south.

Because that’s not what the students said, they want the school to drop the song entirely. So then by saying you want to drop the song completely because it is racist you are essentially telling boosters, fans and alumni they are all racist if they stay out and sing it. It’s not a shock that pisses some people off, especially those two donate millions to the athletic department so these athletes can have better facilities than the majority of the NFL.

And the school has made it pretty clear they will NOT drop the song, so it is pretty clear the boosters want a lot more than the song not being dropped.

First paragraph: Yea, that's always what REL was talking about when it came to southern values. Or dixiecrats, or modern Republicans. Your blinders are showing.

Second paragraph: alert, really bad slippery slope argument.

Third paragraph first two sentences: are you saying the song, even if it does have issues in the eyes of the students, should be something they are forced to sing with the old white folks because some other racist history stuff stopped being venerated?

Final sentence: how does this **** affect you personally and why do you think it's gone too far?
They didn’t take the words about the south from REL though, they adapted it for what they thought Texas valued. If the song said the eyes of the south that would be completely different.

as posted below the students already took a side and it wasn’t about not singing the song, it was about getting rid of the song completely. Now they are backtracking to “we don’t want to stand and sing it but go ahead.” The cat is already out of the bag now and we have this stupid ass argument going on about something pointless and that is where it annoys the **** out of me. It just gives people something to talk about and avoid the real problems at hand like the Georgia bill that just passed rolling back voting access. Instead there is an uproar about ****ing dr. Seuss and his books are now selling off the shelves to prove a point.

And the school has made it pretty clear they will NOT drop the song, so it is pretty clear the boosters want a lot more than the song not being dropped.
Okay and you think that if some of the players just went inside and didn’t sing the song after the game instead of posting a “public demand” that it would have been made into this big of a deal?

There are tons of Texan values that don’t involve racism but okay I’ll get over myself.
Gorging one's self to the point of obesity.
Tailgating (the bad driving one, not the other one)
Underfunding an electric grid to save a half cent per kwH.
Being ****ty, inconsiderate skiers
I could go on

They didn’t take the words about the south from REL though, they adapted it for what they thought Texas valued. If the song said the eyes of the south that would be completely different.

as posted below the students already took a side and it wasn’t about not singing the song, it was about getting rid of the song completely. Now they are backtracking to “we don’t want to stand and sing it but go ahead.” The cat is already out of the bag now and we have this stupid ass argument going on about something pointless and that is where it annoys the **** out of me. It just gives people something to talk about and avoid the real problems at hand like the Georgia bill that just passed rolling back voting access. Instead there is an uproar about ****ing dr. Seuss and his books are now selling off the shelves to prove a point.
That's an interesting argument in the first sentence. If the viewpoint of the adopters that matters, I'd like some evidence as to that - and if the students disagree, why are they being forced to sing it?

You ignored the slippery slope fallacy. I guess we are done with that nonsense?

You are the one promoting the "forced singing" part of this argument quite aggressively. Why is this so important to you? Couldn't you just say it doesn't affect you, shrug your shoulders, and focus on the Georgia bill?

Okay and you think that if some of the players just went inside and didn’t sing the song after the game instead of posting a “public demand” that it would have been made into this big of a deal?

I do. I think the big money donors want the players on the field when it is played.

How brave of these boosters who donate millions of their oil money so the athletes that provide them with their entertainment can have really nice facilities.

You're right, sadly it's not a shock that it pisses people in Texas off, but maybe the "just shut up and play" culture in modern athletics needs to die. Do they think their money gives them power over these players? They suggest that they won't get jobs in Texas or that "they need to get over it, and move on to another state where everything is in their favor". What the actual ****? Blatantly admitting that black people don't have as much of a say in Texas as they might elsewhere.

I do. I think the big money donors want the players on the field when it is played.
I doubt they would have even known what was happening with all of the stuff that takes place after games. Players, fans, media, coaches are all spread out everywhere doing different things.

Back