What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The 2020 COVID Coaching Carousel

You're fixated on the Death Penalty. SMU is back! Not yet with a vengeance but definitely on the upswing.

KU is still a basketball school and not much else. Getting out of there is always an upgrade for FB coach.
For coaches winning always looks better on a resume.

Les Miles at Kansas has 3 wins and 1 conference win in two years, with none of those last year. Even for a program as bad as Kansas that isn't a good trend.

Les is 67 and it's hard to see him as a candidate to turn that program around. Going to be a bunch of Kansas assistants job hunting pretty soon.

Chidera moved to a situation that is both more stable and more likely to result in moving up in the business.

I read that this morning. First of all, those comments... uh, wow.

Second of all, that second donor apparently wants Texas to be terrible in athletics.

I thought the most important thing in it was Sarkisian's bear hug of the song. I wonder how that will play out.

I thought the most important thing in it was Sarkisian's bear hug of the song. I wonder how that will play out.

It will be very interesting to watch.

As an aside, my heart went out to the parent trying to get a response about mental health issues with her son and it went intentionally unanswered because of the "bandwith" dedicated to Eyes of Texas controversy.

I truly wonder at what point the racist alumni/booster politics at some of these prominent programs is going to start impacting the perception and recruiting, or ability to keep some of these athletes.

I truly wonder at what point the racist alumni/booster politics at some of these prominent programs is going to start impacting the perception and recruiting, or ability to keep some of these athletes.

In some ways it probably already has.

Go back a couple of decades and how often did a player from Texas that Texas really wanted go anywhere else if it wasn't sometimes to Oklahoma or aTm?

They aren't going to Ohio State and USC and other places just because those places pay better.

Attitudes are changing. Black people who for a long time have been told to "smile and deal with it" are finding their voice and saying no. They are more and more often demanding the respect they deserve.

These boosters and fans are still living in a time when they could control other peoples lives.

Texas still gets amazing talent out of the State of Texas but that isn't something that is guaranteed. Kids talk, coaches talk.

Even on a local basis we have seen impacts of this. CU has seen an uptick in both numbers and quality of recruits from Texas and from some other areas in the south like Georgia. How much of that comes from not only having a Black head coach but also when they visit seeing Lance Carl, a Black administrator who isn't just a token figure?

Pretty sure something like that happened with Dickerson, not with the song, but if didn't sign with Texas.

You been under a rock the last week or so?
It’s a song that was DERIVED from a Robert E. Lee. Saying back after the civil war about upholding souther values. I don’t know if you have heard but people from Texas are extremely proud of their state and the values they have. People used blackface over a hundred years ago at fundraisers when they started using the song. It became the school song, people forgot that it came from a REL saying for a long long time. Most universities are really old or came about shortly after the civil war. There is a history there with almost every school. People went along for over a hundred years without even knowing the racist origins of the song so it developed into something else. I get the emails from this week are incredibly stupid but this is a prime definition of over analyzing something and then having two sides dig their heels in just to prove a point which makes something a way bigger deal than it needs to be.

It’s a song that was DERIVED from a Robert E. Lee. Saying back after the civil war about upholding souther values. I don’t know if you have heard but people from Texas are extremely proud of their state and the values they have. People used blackface over a hundred years ago at fundraisers when they started using the song. It became the school song, people forgot that it came from a REL saying for a long long time. Most universities are really old or came about shortly after the civil war. There is a history there with almost every school. People went along for over a hundred years without even knowing the racist origins of the song so it developed into something else. I get the emails from this week are incredibly stupid but this is a prime definition of over analyzing something and then having two sides dig their heels in just to prove a point which makes something a way bigger deal than it needs to be.
I thought it was the students fault?

Sometimes a point has to be made and those who don't like change get a little shook up.

The University of Colorado doesn't have the same history as the University of Texas or many other southern schools. We shouldn't forget though that in and around the 1920's and 1930's Colorado was a Klan state. We have governors and other elected state officials, judges, and local officials including Denver's most famous mayor Ben Stapleton who were members of and endorsed by the Klan.

Now at the time in the state we didn't have a significant population of Black people so the Klan focused most of it's attention on Catholics and to a lesser degree on "Mexicans" and Jews.

It is pretty fair to expect that these people had some significant impacts on CU in both symbolism and substance. It wouldn't surprise me if their weren't buildings on campus, school symbols, even endowed chairs, that were influenced by Klan connections.

It would also be very appropriate if these are identified that students would respond to them in a negative way and demand they be changed and even if it were something we all strongly associate with the school that connection be broken.

There is absolutely nothing that I have seen that even hints at this but how would we react if we found out that Fred Folsom had actively worked against legal rights for women and minorities and supported discrimination against them. Even with all the tradition would it be appropriate for our stadium to bear his name if we knew that he stood against the human values we support and the rights of many of those attending events there today?

That’s a very long paragraph to say...black players should be forced to sing a song “derived from a Robert E Lee“ because of the ignorance of past generations. If they don’t want to sing the song, let them be. It’s not on a 20 year old kid to uphold some tradition that is offensive to them, yet, somehow very important to some guy watching college football on his couch.

That’s a very long paragraph to say...black players should be forced to sing a song “derived from a Robert E Lee“ because of the ignorance of past generations. If they don’t want to sing the song, let them be. It’s not on a 20 year old kid to uphold some tradition that is offensive to them, yet, somehow very important to some guy watching college football on his couch.
This is a free country, do whatever the hell you want. But skipping out on a school song/ritual because you think its “origins” are racist but it doesn’t even say anything racist, 120 years later is pretty stupid. There was a saying from lee about upholding southern values/traditions. A Texas president took that saying and made it about Texas. Some people used blackface over a hundred years ago... no way. I’ve been workin on the railroad is now considered racist, sweet.

It’s a tradition used in celebration of the school. People who went to school there are upset about a bunch of kids making a much bigger deal about something than it needs to be, only to make it an even bigger deal. It’s just a dumb situation that shouldn’t have been a situation to begin with. There are much more important racial issues to focus time/effort on that a silly fight song for the university of Texas but unfortunately these are the ones that always come up.

This is a free country, do whatever the hell you want. But skipping out on a school song/ritual because you think its “origins” are racist but it doesn’t even say anything racist, 120 years later is pretty stupid. There was a saying from lee about upholding southern values/traditions. A Texas president took that saying and made it about Texas. Some people used blackface over a hundred years ago... no way. I’ve been workin on the railroad is now considered racist, sweet.

It’s a tradition used in celebration of the school. People who went to school there are upset about a bunch of kids making a much bigger deal about something than it needs to be, only to make it an even bigger deal. It’s just a dumb situation that shouldn’t have been a situation to begin with. There are much more important racial issues to focus time/effort on that a silly fight song for the university of Texas but unfortunately these are the ones that always come up.
Kids who could go to war. How dare they have opinions. Should just shut up right?

Back