What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The 2020 COVID Coaching Carousel

When talking about principles and values people have in a certain state? It’s absolutely meaningful. Not only do people in Texas have their values but they are boisterous and prideful about them.

OK, but instead of enumerating any of these alleged "values" you alit on Texans being proud of the values you didn't name.

I'm not arguing, being proud without reason seems to describe Texans perfectly.

I gave this a like, even though "redneck" would've been a better term. The Coloradans were mostly miners, as I recall, so more in the line of "hillbillies" than the traitors from the godawful flatlands of East Texas.
I was thinking inbred, but went with hillbilly. Redneck works better.

I doubt they would have even known what was happening with all of the stuff that takes place after games. Players, fans, media, coaches are all spread out everywhere doing different things.
Multiple players have now stated they were told they wouldn’t be able to get a job in the state of Texas after graduation if they refused to stay on the field during the song.

Multiple players have now stated they were told they wouldn’t be able to get a job in the state of Texas after graduation if they refused to stay on the field during the song.
Again this is after they publicly requested the removal of the song entirely last spring.

Again this is after they publicly requested the removal of the song entirely last spring.
So what? So they brought it on themselves?

Students: We think this song has a racist history and think it should be removed as the school song.

Rich Donors: It’s not racist, and if you don’t stand there and sing it after games, we’ll make sure you never work in this state.

Does that seem like an appropriate response to you? Keep in mind the football team is getting the lions share of the attention in this, but it’s not just football players who are against the song. Are those rich donors going to blackball every UT grad in the state if they get their way or just the black kids football players?

I mean, let's be honest here. These rich white donors are still going to donate money, attend games, spend tons of money on Texas athletics.

We all know they won't stop. Maybe a few will, but my gawd, this athletic department dwarfs even the second largest ad in the nation. The president/AD need to end this charade and move on, but they won't. At least until the next day when everyone has to pick a side and be pissed at something else.

I mean, isn't the president and athletic director employed to serve University students/athletes and not rich ass donors?

State pride, a sort of southern hospitality to others and outsiders, a strong conviction towards capitalism. Values evolve over time, did Texas have issues with racism that still exist today? Of course but societies change over time. That doesn’t mean that a school song taking pride in your state should just be thrown out.

let’s just get rid of our national anthem too while we are at it because it was created while the institution of slavery was still in place. Why don’t we just get rid of the entire constitution too because after all it was created by people who owned slaves.

there is historical context here that is being completely ignored. Didn’t the university agree to remove all of the statues around campus of confederate generals? All they did was say now we are going a little too far with this ****.
Thats some cotton picking trouble right there.

I would have not worked at Tennessee for far less than $450,000. They could have paid me $50,000 to not work there and I would have been fine with it. Fools.
You might be undervaluing your talents there

Because that’s not what the students said, they want the school to drop the song entirely. So then by saying you want to drop the song completely because it is racist you are essentially telling boosters, fans and alumni they are all racist if they stay out and sing it. It’s not a shock that pisses some people off, especially those two donate millions to the athletic department so these athletes can have better facilities than the majority of the NFL.
Wait, is the song racist?
Or was it based off a racist song?
Or was it because it was previously performed in minstrel shows?

Or is it because of the tune (I’ve been working on the railroad)...’cause if this is any part of it, CU better check itself with Glory Glory Colorado.

Some Texans might even say it’s not even a traditional state.
In their eyes, it isnt. I lived there for a shade under 20 years. A lot look at it, not everybody but the majority, that Texas is it's own damn country. I wish I was making that up but I saw it first hand quite a bit, even in my own family. As far as that song, I've never sang it before. Have I heard it before, of course.

Wait, is the song racist?
Or was it based off a racist song?
Or was it because it was previously performed in minstrel shows?

Or is it because of the tune (I’ve been working on the railroad)...’cause if this is any part of it, CU better check itself with Glory Glory Colorado.
These are actually key questions this the Committee to understand it’s history and create common understanding. Then action, as appropriate.

UT prez not happy with good old boys and their comments.

In their eyes, it isnt. I lived there for a shade under 20 years. A lot look at it, not everybody but the majority, that Texas is it's own damn country. I wish I was making that up but I saw it first hand quite a bit, even in my own family. As far as that song, I've never sang it before. Have I heard it before, of course.
I’m on my third tour here, and I’ve been a resident since I was in flight school (25 years ago...which makes me roughly 35), so yeah, I get it. I was at minor league baseball and during the national anthem some old lady behind me said to her husband, “it’s always so disrespectful, everywhere you go, they always have the American flag above the Texas flag.”

I’m on my third tour here, and I’ve been a resident since I was in flight school (25 years ago...which makes me roughly 35), so yeah, I get it. I was at minor league baseball and during the national anthem some old lady behind me said to her husband, “it’s always so disrespectful, everywhere you go, they always have the American flag above the Texas flag.”
Having lived in TX, I can see that.

At the The National Portrait Gallery in London, the picture of Lord Cornwallis is directly above the portrait of George Washington. I was there on a Tuesday evening along with several sketch artist aspirants. I said, a little too loudly, "Why do they put the loser on top?". Not well received.

At the The National Portrait Gallery in London, the picture of Lord Cornwallis is directly above the portrait of George Washington. I was there on a Tuesday evening along with several sketch artist aspirants. I said, a little too loudly, "Why do they put the loser on top?". Not well received.
Dude... You havent heard? GW was a racist.....

Wanker!

I gave this a like, even though "redneck" would've been a better term. The Coloradans were mostly miners, as I recall, so more in the line of "hillbillies" than the traitors from the godawful flatlands of East Texas.

Commanded by the same guy who would lead the Sand Creek massacre two years later.

Yep, that's the kind of **** I was getting at.

Back