What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The 2020 COVID Coaching Carousel

Players hate bill O’Brien. Watch for a chemistry shift at Alabama
Possible but Saban has had a long record of taking various coaches who were seen as having this problem or that problem and making it work better than anyone expected.

You don't have the success that he has had without doing a lot of things well but one of the areas that Sabin should be given a lot of credit is as a coach of coaches. He tends to get the very most out of his staff and unlike certain head coaches (Belicheck) coaches that move on from working for Saban have often been better coaches than they were before working for him. Of course none has matched him but many have benefited from working with him.

Possible but Saban has had a long record of taking various coaches who were seen as having this problem or that problem and making it work better than anyone expected.

You don't have the success that he has had without doing a lot of things well but one of the areas that Sabin should be given a lot of credit is as a coach of coaches. He tends to get the very most out of his staff and unlike certain head coaches (Belicheck) coaches that move on from working for Saban have often been better coaches than they were before working for him. Of course none has matched him but many have benefited from working with him.
All true, and really quite incredible. I saw an interview where Saban talked about how those retreads always bring different perspectives and ideas and that he learns as much from them as they learn from him.
there is a reason he is the GOAT.
I do hear from people who know that Bill O’Brien is a really bad human being so that will be interesting

All true, and really quite incredible. I saw an interview where Saban talked about how those retreads always bring different perspectives and ideas and that he learns as much from them as they learn from him.
there is a reason he is the GOAT.
I do hear from people who know that Bill O’Brien is a really bad human being so that will be interesting
If BOB can't learn and his players don't respond because of his personality Saban won't hesitate to show him the door. Getting a job with Saban doesn't guarantee keeping a job with Saban.

That's one hell of a fall from once being offered the Bama job

First mistake: leaving "Almost Heaven"! UWV was perfect for him and that job only got better. Ever since then, he can't help stepping on his own dick!

Like skinny guy at a buffet, his eyes was bigger than his belly!

I'd take Rich Rod the OC at CU any day of the week

edit: just revisited the allegations against him while he was at UofA, worse than I remember, toxic bro-dude arrogance and misogyny to the max

Last edited:
I'm surprised he's still working. Surely the firing packages from UM and UA set him up for life when combined with making 7 figures for the last decade or so.

Players hate bill O’Brien. Watch for a chemistry shift at Alabama

I'm sure his attitude is different as a HC than as a coordinator... and his schtick probably plays better in college than in the pros. Strictness usually does.
Bill O'Brien may be successful with Saban in charge of getting him his players, but man he was a mess at Houston. Good defense, Deshaun and Hopkins (until the horrible Hopkins trade).

He should get an accessory to attempted murder charge (is that a thing?) against him for what he did to Watson giving him the worst line in the league over the past 4 years. I think it was 2018 when he got hit like like 17 times one game, got his ribs broken and a partially collapsed lung, and had to take the bus to a game because they were concerned about air pressure changes and his lung from flying AND HE STILL PLAYED. He got hit 70 times in a 6 game span. And somehow their run blocking was worse. All this and yet, **** offense line every year. If you have a franchise talent like Watson and let him get beat on for 4 straight years without making it your first priority to protect him through FA (other than Tunsil, yahoo?), trades, and the draft you are either a moron or debilitatingly stubborn.

Bill O'Brien may be successful with Saban in charge of getting him his players, but man he was a mess at Houston. Good defense, Deshaun and Hopkins (until the horrible Hopkins trade).

He should get an accessory to attempted murder charge (is that a thing?) against him for what he did to Watson giving him the worst line in the league over the past 4 years. I think it was 2018 when he got hit like like 17 times one game, got his ribs broken and a partially collapsed lung, and had to take the bus to a game because they were concerned about air pressure changes and his lung from flying AND HE STILL PLAYED. He got hit 70 times in a 6 game span. And somehow their run blocking was worse. All this and yet, **** offense line every year. If you have a franchise talent like Watson and let him get beat on for 4 straight years without making it your first priority to protect him through FA (other than Tunsil, yahoo?), trades, and the draft you are either a moron or debilitatingly stubborn.
No argument from me that what he did in Houston is football malpractice. I just don't think he's going to wreck the culture at Bama as an OC

Some guys are also very effective as assistant coaches but when they are in charge their weaknesses come out.

Having Saban keeping him in check and focused on his strengths could be a very good situation for him, and for Bama. The guy earned his chances as a head coach by being a very good assistant coach.

Back