What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The 2021-2022 Coaching Carousel

I think we really need to get past the “he’s better than what we have now” mindset. Put together a plan for what kind of program we want to be, stick to the plan.
I had believed we did that but he move on to MSU. The AD deviated from "the plan" when he panicked with HCKD. It's clear we have no plan. While it sounds great to have a better mindset and have a plan, I'm not holding my breath.

How often does an NFL coach leave his job for another NFL job? I can’t think of a single instance since Parcells left the Patriots for the Jets job in the mid 90’s. I’m not counting guys like Andy Reid or Ron Rivera who were fired and hired by another team for the next season, but guys who resigned from one NFL HC job to take another.
Its rare, but this is it (I would think) for Ben. Maybe Tomlin doesn't want to deal with the growing pains that come with a young QB?

Conversely, we need to get rid of the "He's not as bad as Embree" mindset. KD is garbage on his own merit, without comparison.
KD can be both better than Embree and garbage on his own merit. Those two are not mutually exclusive. Pointing out that he’s better than Embree does not absolve KD of his ineptitude.

KD can be both better than Embree and garbage on his own merit. Those two are not mutually exclusive. Pointing out that he’s better than Embree does not absolve KD of his ineptitude.

That he, or any coach, is better than Embree is irrelevant.

Not in the context of comparing our current situation to past stretches of ****ty football.

Why does it matter how KD's tenure relates to Embree's? By any measure, KD's season is historically bad. However, some people seem to use Embree's time as justification for keeping a ****ty coach. "Yeah, he's bad. But we've had worse." Is a phrase I hear a lot. As if that matters.

Why does it matter how KD's tenure relates to Embree's? By any measure, KD's season is historically bad. However, some people seem to use Embree's time as justification for keeping a ****ty coach. "Yeah, he's bad. But we've had worse." Is a phrase I hear a lot. As if that matters.
Where are people using Embrees tenure as a justification for keeping KD? I’m not seeing that anywhere.

I hadn't watched the video until now. Why does he get SO upset? And to answer his last question, Andy Reid and Sean Payton aren't being asked because the former Heisman Trophy winning USC QB (Carson Palmer) didn't bring up their names in connection to the USC job. This honestly makes me think he/his agent have definitely been contacted or are in talks about it

It makes me feel the same way (that he was contacted/is talking to USC about it) but to his point, Sean Payton isn't being asked because Payton is currently paid more than any college coach.

With that said, Tomlin's current contract supposedly pays him about $8M/year and runs through 2024. You have to think he's pretty comfortable in Pittsburgh, although I know that fanbase kinda treats him like **** sometimes. The biggest college contracts of which i'm aware are Dabo and Jimbo Fisher, which come in around $9M/year for ~10 years (~$90M).

So, if USC offered him a similar contract, he'd basically triple his guaranteed earnings, but it would commit him to also about triple the length of time to get it and he'd have to move to Southern California.

That would be an awfully big risk for USC though- Tomlin hasn't coached college in 20 years, and never at the P5 level. The returns on NFL-to-college coaches are mixed, at best. The only guys I can think of who made it work at the college level after an extended stint in the NFL are Pete Carrol and maybe Harbaugh There have been guys with limited stints in the NFL who have been somewhat successful going back to college (Saban, Spurrier, Mike Riley? maybe Lane Kiffin), but for every Saban there is a Jim Mora, Bill O'Brien, Bobby Petrino, or Bill Walsh that washed out upon going back to college- and those were guys who had been HCs at the collegiate level.

The early returns on NFL guys back in the Pac-12 (KD, Kelly, Herm) have been underwhelming.

Its rare, but this is it (I would think) for Ben. Maybe Tomlin doesn't want to deal with the growing pains that come with a young QB?
Maybe but which jobs with established QBs are likely to be open? Vegas? Chicago will probably be open but it would be 2nd year Fields at QB. It would almost take a surprise retirement out of someone (Reid, Harbaugh, Belichick Arians or Carroll).

Maybe but which jobs with established QBs are likely to be open? Vegas? Chicago will probably be open but it would be 2nd year Fields at QB. It would almost take a surprise retirement out of someone (Reid, Harbaugh, Belichick Arians or Carroll).
I'm not sure Vegas will run an actual coaching search-especially if they keep winning. Somebody involved in the A-a-ron sweepstakes (like say.......the Broncos) could hire him too.

I'm not sure Vegas will run an actual coaching search-especially if they keep winning. Somebody involved in the A-a-ron sweepstakes (like say.......the Broncos) could hire him too.
Is Tomlin likely to take another job without the QB in place? Conversely is Rodgers likely to go to a team without a coach? That’s why I think a simultaneous Tomlin/Rodgers move is unlikely. I actually think it would be more likely Rodgers goes to Pittsburgh, than both of them moving to Denver.

Is Tomlin likely to take another job without the QB in place? Conversely is Rodgers likely to go to a team without a coach? That’s why I think a simultaneous Tomlin/Rodgers move is unlikely. I actually think it would be more likely Rodgers goes to Pittsburgh, than both of them moving to Denver.
True. Either way he's not going to USC.

If you follow the college football guys it’s pretty clear coaches would prefer to be in the NFL with all of the changes going on in college football right now. USC is in a great position with those changes but I still think it would be near impossible to pull a coach from the league.

It makes me feel the same way (that he was contacted/is talking to USC about it) but to his point, Sean Payton isn't being asked because Payton is currently paid more than any college coach.

With that said, Tomlin's current contract supposedly pays him about $8M/year and runs through 2024. You have to think he's pretty comfortable in Pittsburgh, although I know that fanbase kinda treats him like **** sometimes. The biggest college contracts of which i'm aware are Dabo and Jimbo Fisher, which come in around $9M/year for ~10 years (~$90M).

So, if USC offered him a similar contract, he'd basically triple his guaranteed earnings, but it would commit him to also about triple the length of time to get it and he'd have to move to Southern California.

That would be an awfully big risk for USC though- Tomlin hasn't coached college in 20 years, and never at the P5 level. The returns on NFL-to-college coaches are mixed, at best. The only guys I can think of who made it work at the college level after an extended stint in the NFL are Pete Carrol and maybe Harbaugh There have been guys with limited stints in the NFL who have been somewhat successful going back to college (Saban, Spurrier, Mike Riley? maybe Lane Kiffin), but for every Saban there is a Jim Mora, Bill O'Brien, Bobby Petrino, or Bill Walsh that washed out upon going back to college- and those were guys who had been HCs at the collegiate level.

The early returns on NFL guys back in the Pac-12 (KD, Kelly, Herm) have been underwhelming.
Mike Tomlin may not have a guaranteed ten year deal, but he effectively has it because of his reputation. If he ever parted ways with the Steelers (outside of some personal scandal), he would have a bunch of teams lined up to give him a new five year deal.

The Broncos would jump at a chance to have Mike Tomlin.

Mike Tomlin may not have a guaranteed ten year deal, but he effectively has it because of his reputation. If he ever parted ways with the Steelers (outside of some personal scandal), he would have a bunch of teams lined up to give him a new five year deal.

The Broncos would jump at a chance to have Mike Tomlin.
Steelers ownership doesn't fire coaches. Isn't Tomlin just its third since the 1970s (Noll, Cowher, Tomlin)? It's basically a lifetime contract there with the most supportive environment a HC could hope for. Best job in the profession imo.

Steelers ownership doesn't fire coaches. Isn't Tomlin just its third since the 1970s (Noll, Cowher, Tomlin)? It's basically a lifetime contract there with the most supportive environment a HC could hope for. Best job in the profession imo.
Totally agree. Ownership there is tremendous.

One thing that I love about all their hires is that they’ve always snagged really high energy coaches in their 30s. That wouldn’t be a bad strategy for CU.

Yes and no. I don't think he's going to USC, but I could see him leaving the Steelers for another NFL gig.
For a Denver food reference, Tomlin going from the Pittsburgh Steelers to USC would be like going from Sushi Den to Long John Silvers.

I hadn't watched the video until now. Why does he get SO upset? And to answer his last question, Andy Reid and Sean Payton aren't being asked because the former Heisman Trophy winning USC QB (Carson Palmer) didn't bring up their names in connection to the USC job. This honestly makes me think he/his agent have definitely been contacted or are in talks about it

Bad. Ass. An excellent response.

An NFL job is coveted because you actually have some semblance of a life outside of your job. The actual season is a grind, but you have lots of time in the offseason. Tomlin would be insane to leave the Steelers to go to USC

College job is football 24/7/365 days a year with absolute no time off. There is a reason why guys like Urban Meyer have the health issues they have.

Mostly the guys who thrive in college are because they are control freaks who are narcistic assholes.

Helps too that they don’t miss with HC hires either.
Knoll: .566 win pct. 7 losing seasons in 23
Cowher: .623 win pct. 3 losing seasons in 15
Tomlin: .646 win pct. ZERO losing seasons in 15

Their last losing season was in 2003.

An NFL job is coveted because you actually have some semblance of a life outside of your job. The actual season is a grind, but you have lots of time in the offseason. Tomlin would be insane to leave the Steelers to go to USC

College job is football 24/7/365 days a year with absolute no time off. There is a reason why guys like Urban Meyer have the health issues they have.

Mostly the guys who thrive in college are because they are control freaks who are narcistic assholes.
Except Urb's health issues seem to crop up just as he needs to leave town one step ahead of the posse. (I hope his mom doesn't read this).

Back