What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The 2021-2022 Coaching Carousel

I don’t think he’s a great coach. Recruits top athletes but I’m not so sure he’s a good judge of resilience. His players quit. Pretty easily. Similar to USC.
He’s not elite, but whatever tier is right below that, IMO. I think he is probably a top 10-15 coach in the sport. He took over a mediocre program from Taggart and, taking out the 2020 season, he averaged 10 wins/year and won the Pac 12.

The Spin Cycle Update

Open jobs:

Virginia- Bronco Mendenhall leaves on his own accord. (h/t Jens)

FIU- Butch Davis is a gonna hang it up at the end of the year and retire.

UMASS- Fires their HC, (h/t BCS) Walt Bell out. (h/t DeNiro) AZ DC Don Brown a top name. (h/t DeNiro)

Idaho- Paul Petrino out. (h/t SewallBeach)

Maine- HC Nick Charlton going to UCONN as OC. (h/t DeNiro)

Temple- HC Rod Carey out (h/t DeNiro)

Akron-Tom Arth out (h/t DeNiro).

Duke- David Cutcliffe reaches an agreement to depart (h/t DeNiro)

Miami- Manny Diaz fired (h/t Slider) Possibly Christobal (h/t Alfred91) not 100% yet..

Secondary Market-

Fresno State- DeBoer to UW, Tedford?

Nevada- Jay Norvell off to Ft. Collins.

Oregon- Mario Cristobal offered extension (h/t Carolina), but declines to take his talents to South Beach, err, Coral Gables (h/t Alfred91 ) Chip Kelly 2.0? (h/t BCS) This one is still fluid

Filled Jobs:

ND- Another heavyweight. Brian Kelly kicks Lucky the Leprechaun in the nuts and leaves with little to no notice. (h/t Jens, BCS, Carolina) DC Bryan Freeman, gets the gig (h/t DeNiro)

OU- Riley off to LA. , Brent Venables, in (h/t CUAviator Serenity Jens and DeNiro) Ole Miss OC Jeff Lebby to follow.

LSU- Ed O out. (h/t Carolina Buff), apparently when Ed O isn't covering up sexual assaults and turning in unsatisfactory W-L records, he is propositioning random women at gas stations, unfortunately, the last lady of the pump was an LSU muckety-muck's wife. (h/t 14er). Ed O's buyout is $17M (h/t Creebuzz), In a surprising move ND HC Brian Kelly goes to the bayou. (h/t Jens BCS and Carolina).

UW- Jimmy Lake fired. (h/t DeNiro, Serenity, Duff) $9.9Million payout. Kalen DeBoer, fmr. Fresno St. HC named HC (h/t DeNiro and BuffBronco)

USC- The big one. (h/t Deniro, also check Jens' USC Fires Clay Helton and Lincoln Riley megathreads). Mike Bohn swipes Lincoln Riley from OU (h/t Jens) DC Alex Grinch comes along (h/t Serenity/DeNiro), Kliff Kingsbury (h/t Jens), maybe Leach (h/t Jalapeno)

Florida- Dan Mullen is out. (h/t CUAviator) Greg Know interim (h/ DeNiro) Billy Napier, Louisiana HC hired (h/t Carolina/DeNiro)

VT- Hokie dances in the streets, Justin Fuente shown the door (h/t Jens). (h/t DeNiro) PSU DC Brent Fry is the guy.

Ohio- Tim Albin gets the job (h/t ahoelsken).

Louisiana- Napier off to Gainesville, Michael Desormeaux hired from within (h/t DeNiro)

Georgia Southern- Bold move and hired Clay Helton (h/t Alabaster Yak)

Texas Tech- Bailer AHC and LB coach Joey McGuire hired (h/t DeNiro) OC Sonny Cumbie retained (h/t DeNiro), UPDATE: WKU OC Zach Kittley the new OC (h/t DeNiro)

UCONN- Randy Edsall, Out. (h/t Deniro) Fmr. UCLA HC Jim Mora in (h/t DeNiro and CUAViator)UPDATE: Maine HC tagging along as OC (h/t DeNiro)

TCU- Gary Patterson gets the heave ho. (h/t BCS and Duff). TCU does a coaching drive by on SMU and snatches up Sonny Dykes. (h/t Carolina) A little bit of insider flavor, had a sit down with some TCU insiders over Thanksgiving, Patterson was told to rearrange his staff and let some AC's go, he declined, in a, shall we say, colorful manner. Two days later he was fired unceremoniously. Overplayed his hand.

SMU- Wastes no time hiring Rhett Lashlee, fmr. Miami OC (h/t DenIro)

WSU- Nick Rolovich fired for cause over vaccination status. (h/t BCS) Interim Jake Dickert in (h/t Sewall)

NMSU- Doug Martin out. (h/t DeNiro) Jerry Kill seizes the job (h/t Carolina)

Jacksonville St.- Fmr, WVU, Michigan, AZ HC, and ULM OC Rich Rodriguez gets the gig (h/t DeNiro)

La Tech- Skip Holtz fired (h/t DeNiro) Sonny Cumbie in as HC.

Troy- No the other one, Chip Lindsey out (h/t DeNiro) Kentucky co-DC Jon Sumrall in (h/t DeNiro)

CSewe- Steve Addazio does not abide (h/t Serenity) Jay Norvell in (h/t Pate and Slider)

Possibles:

Utah- Kyle Whittingham rumored to be contemplating retirement. (h/t Nik)

BGSU- Scot Loeffler, depsite pantsing PJ Fleck, may be on his way out. CDSS

Tulsa- Phillip Montgomery living on borrowed Tulsa time. CDSS.

ASU- Herm Edwards has some pretty flagrant stuff hanging over his head, hard to believe it doesn't cost him. Herm stays (h/t DeNiro)

N. Texas- Seth Littrell siting at about .500 UNT rolls UTSA, job saver?

UNLV- Arroyo 0-12. (h/t ahoelsken)

kNU- Frosty probably done before the end of the year according to Steve Sipple. Not so fast my friend, trev Alberts restructures Frosty's contract and announces he will be back for 2022 (h/t DeNiro) OC Matt Lubick, OL Greg Austin, RB Ryan Held, and QB Mario Verduzco sacrificed that Frosty may coach another day. No word on if Herbie has been put on an ice floe.

Other news:

Oregon St.- DC Tim Tibesar fired for failing to adequately defend the Beaver. (h/t DeNiro) Jonathon Smith extended to 2027 (h/t nik)

Urban Meyer- Gets his freak on after visiting the grand kids.

Mizzou- fires DL coach midseason, an impossibility I am told. (h/t Deniro)

Okie Lite- Gundy leverages a perpetual extension (h/t AlbasterYak)

James Franklin- James Franklin gets paid, bigly, 10 years, 7.5 mill per. (h/t Jens)

CU - Coach Rod fired, now embarking on second career in ebay sales. OC Darrin Cheviarini out. (h/t Carolina)

UW- OC John Donovon canned (h/t Serenity)

UT- Jeff Banks dispatching his stripper GF and her monkey on the recruiting trail (h/t Jens)

Minny- PJ Fleck gets a bigger boat to row with an extension and raise (h/t Albaster yak) PJ Fleck's contract is upped to $5Million, 7 years. (h/t DeNiro) OC Mike Sanford tossed out of the boat. (h/t DeNiro)

No. Ill.- HC Thomas Hammock extended (h/t DeNiro)

Nasser St.- Melvin Huckster takes down a new contract $8million a year (h/t Serenity)

Illinois- DC Ryan Walters extended

Miami- AD Blake James out (h/t DeNiro)

USF- DC Jeff Scott served up on a platter (h/t DeNiro)

BUYOUTS- A staggering $80.6 million so far (h/t Hawg1) That is the equivalent to 6 and one-half minutes of federal spending.

Liberty- Extends Hugh Freeze, $4Mill per. (h/t Serenity)

Bailer- Aranda extended (h/t ahoelsken)

Wake- Extends Clawson (h/t Carolina)

Indiana- fires OC (h/t DenIro) HC Tom Allen takes pay cut for underperforming, now there's an idea.

GT- fires OC Pateneude, CB Popovich, S Burns UPDATE: Chip Long as OC. (h/t DeNiro)

KU-DL coack Drake and CB coach Jackson out. (h/t slider)

BC- Jeff Hafley extended (h/t AlbasterYak)

Auburn- Mike Bobo is nono longer the OC (h/t Carolina)

Kentucky- Mark Stoops extended (h/t Albaster Yak)

ECU- Mike Houston extended (h/t DeNiro)

KjSU- AC's Courtney Messingham OC, and Jason Ray FB/TE out (h/t Deniro)

Ole Miss- Lane Kiffin extended (h/t DeNiro)

Lots of work, if I missed anybody on the h/t's, sorry.

Last edited:
I would hope CU makes a move on the OC position in short order.
Yeah Right Ok GIF

He's one of the lowest paid D1 Head coaches:
This article says that USAFA is a private school. Uhhh, wut.

Then let me rephrase

"I am having trouble understanding how a university can run a for profit health system. That just seems wrong."
Yep. The entire hospital reimbursement system is wrong. If you want to know why your health insurance premiums keep going up, look no father the UC Health, Healthone, Centura and the like

It feels like we are in this giant game of musical chairs, the music just shut off, and we are too busy analyzing the grain on the wood to find a chair.
Sleepy Karl is looking to plop down on a bean bag in the kids area.

Then let me rephrase

"I am having trouble understanding how a university can run a for profit health system. That just seems wrong."
We do things differently in America.

Yep. The entire hospital reimbursement system is wrong. If you want to know why your health insurance premiums keep going up, look no father the UC Health, Healthone, Centura and the like

People like to point to big Pharma but Hospitals are indeed a giant driver of cost as well. The more hospitals they buy up, build, or force to merge the more price fixing they can engage in. Plus they like to buy doctor groups as well to drive patients into their facilities and away from their competitors.

These big hospitals also do what corp America does: outsource certain jobs to India and the Phillipines. It's nuts.

I am having trouble understanding how a university, even a private one, can run a for profit health system. That just seems wrong.

I doubt very much that Miami's health system is for profit - it obviously is profitable though and fairly sleazy to use those profits to fund football vs plowing it into staff raises or debt relief for patients.

Being non-profit just means that profit can't be distributed to shareholders; it doesn't mean that an entity can't make money.

Norvell coached Nevada teams have finished 2nd (2x), 3rd (2x) and 4th out of 7 schools in their MWC division. BSU isn't in that division either. And yet this is probably the best hire I could see CSU possibly make.
BSU isn't in the division but SDSU is and they have frequently been the highest ranked team from the MWC in recent years. And they have a lot more resources than Nevada does.

Can he overcome the cesspool that CSU football has become? They were pretty optimistic for a number of their recent coaching hires.

I think Norvell is a great hire for CSU, but I honestly thought his next coaching move would to P5.

If he succeeds at CSU with Addazio's "dudes", I'd expect him to be gone within 2 years.

*maybe just in time for CU to be on the lookout. I-25 hires FTMFW!

Back