What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The 2021-2022 Coaching Carousel

If they are making a hire in the next 36 hours or so, have to imagine it’s Wilcox or Kelly. Very surprised not to have heard of more names being floated or interviews taking place.

I know you’re joking, but Phil Knight employs a very sophisticated tax avoidance strategy using GRATs and charitable contributions (to the University of Oregon and others). He’s estimated to have saved over $3 billion in taxes. The sh!t he does with the Oregon AD has all sorts of ulterior motives, although he clearly wants the team to win a championship.
Yea, it's all fun money to him, but there is still the opportunity cost. rehiring Kelly would be a waste of the money.

Yea, it's all fun money to him, but there is still the opportunity cost. rehiring Kelly would be a waste of the money.
It's all relative. Phil Knight can waste $100M if he wants to and it would have absolutely no impact on his standard of living.

It's all relative. Phil Knight can waste $100M if he wants to and it would have absolutely no impact on his standard of living.
Yup. But there's only one slot for HC, so if he's the guy making that call cause it's his money, he's wasting it.

How many candidates turned down Eugene and it's 'deeply ingrained hard hitting' culture of west coast softness if Chip 2.0 is really the Nike anointed? Swing and a miss and strike 4 Ducks.
I’m a little surprised Oregon didn’t have a more national HC list ready for interviews. Maybe CU isn’t the only AD with their head up their a**

Oregon going hard on the RG reflex upsetness that they got ditched

While it's not ideal to get your coach poached constantly, give me that over hiring some meh dudes

Great, now we're going to see a Pac 12 school actually build an SEC style recruiting system. Excuse me while I go cry in a corner about how close we were to being the first P12 school to do so.
Are we operating under the impression that Cristobal didn’t already bring that from Alabama during his time there, or are you saying they will get to continue implementing the SEC recruiting model?

Are we operating under the impression that Cristobal didn’t already bring that from Alabama during his time there, or are you saying they will get to continue implementing the SEC recruiting model?
I think UGA under Smart has improved on Saban's model. Before RG threw the baby out with the bathwater, we were cribbing notes from someone who had detailed specs on model 2.0. Oregon was working from a guy that scribbled notes about model 1.1 on the back of a napkin. Now they're getting someone with solid insight on model 2.1.

I really am more pissed off at RG for tossing out this part of the MT experience. One of the main reasons I thought we hired him was because we would have the blueprint and a solid foundation in place for a decent recruiting operation even if/when he left. Instead LC and RG burned it to the ground and then bulldozed the foundation.

Wasn’t there a DC from Georgia that got a HC gig at a PAC12 school? It was fairly recent, if I remember? Jeez, what is going on at CU, where another program can have a head coach leave, and they get another head coach on board in a matter of days?! CU just needs someone that can raise the bar on the worst season of offense output ever. Something that had red flags rising during the first game of the season, and was a glaring issue by the second half of the second game!

I’ll take the gig…just let me jot down some of my favorite goto plays from Tecmo Bowl, and Super Tecmo Bowl…this should be enough to get a rolling start!

Great, now we're going to see a Pac 12 school actually build an SEC style recruiting system. Excuse me while I go cry in a corner about how close we were to being the first P12 school to do so.
I think Cristobal got the party moving. Lanning will continue.

Jeez, what is going on at CU, where another program can have a head coach leave, and they get another head coach on board in a matter of days?!
What you see at Oregon is motivation and competence. What you see at CU...well, I don't know. It is like everything is done ad hoc, without a plan.

EDIT: Looks like we all jumped too soon. But I maintain Oregon is acting deliberately and getting after it. The good ship RG drifts along...an OC will fall in their lap, I am sure.

Last edited:
Congrats to MikMac, but FIU is a real "cleaning up the vomit off the subway floor" job right now. The guys's got grit, you can say that. And good luck to him!
He's old enough and damaged enough (by losing big at CU) that he isn't going to get a lot more shot's at it.

If he fails at FIU at least he had one last chance. Build something resembling a winner there in that situation and he might even get another shot at a better quality G5 school before he retires.

Back