What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The 2021-2022 Coaching Carousel

What you see at Oregon is motivation and competence. What you see at CU...well, I don't know. It is like everything is done ad hoc, without a plan.

EDIT: Looks like we all jumped too soon. But I maintain Oregon is acting deliberately and getting after it. The good ship RG drifts along...an OC will fall in their lap, I am sure.
What you see at Oregon is multiple sh*tpots full of Benjamins, courtesy Mr. Knight. That would cure anything that ails CU!

One way to categorize college football programs...
  1. A program that hires former NFL head coaches as coordinators
  2. Programs that hire former major college head coaches as coordinators
  3. Programs that hire former major college coordinators as head coaches
  4. Programs that hire former smaller college head coaches as coordinators
  5. Programs that hire former smaller college head coaches as head coaches
  6. Programs that hire former NFL position coaches as head coaches

He's old enough and damaged enough (by losing big at CU) that he isn't going to get a lot more shot's at it.

If he fails at FIU at least he had one last chance. Build something resembling a winner there in that situation and he might even get another shot at a better quality G5 school before he retires.
I have a ton of respect for him in taking on the challenge. If he can get FIU to 4 wins in 2 years that's a success.

Maaayyyybbbee back to college

Yup, easy to look like a strategic genius when you have better guys on the bench than most of your opponents are starting.

In the NFL everybody is good. Take the worst team in the league any given year and if you were to disperse their roster and replace them I'd guess that 18-20 of the 25 starters (22 offense & defense plus 2 kickers) would be starting for another team that or the next year. Of a 53 man roster at least 45 would make another roster.

The difference between winning and loser is a small margin as shown by how many new teams make the playoffs each year and even with the QB dominance how the SB winning moves around.

Contrast this to the college game where well over half of the fans could have picked at least two of the playoff teams before the season even started and the same 5-6 teams have gotten the lions share of playoff spots over the history of it. The same 5-6 that get the bulk of the top recruits year in and year out.

And I don't think he knows it but I think Urban is done. I don't think he has the patience and the willingness to follow through on a program to rebuild a college program to playoff level, even if the school were a traditional power with a lot of resources.

Back