What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The 2021-2022 Coaching Carousel

That actually doesn’t look like that great of a deal for MSU. Tucker is waaaaay more expensive to fire right now than Dorrell and his buyout isn’t that huge.
I know you are right.

I still cannot fathom how we got where we are.

Melvin leaves for greener pastures, fine. Going after "name" coaches and then settling on HCKD. I have no idea who was really available. I have no idea how the negotiations with HCKD went, but how you guarantee the contract with no out for the University baffles me. Arky had a buyout provision in favor of the University if their new HC, whoever he is, performed poorly. The worse the team did, the less the University owed. U of Miami has a similar deal with Manny Diaz and that seems to be the trend.

Maybe HCKD was the only HC candidate, but it just looks like RG rolled over. So, we have to hope HCKD can do what he has never done, make a team substantially better than it was when he found it. He is not going anywhere anytime soon. I have seen some bad FB over the past 15 years, and what I see now is pretty close to as bad as I have seen. It is very discouraging.

That just absolves Benson and DiStefano. It’s a systemic issue, not isolated to the AD. It’s also not unique to CU. Every program outside of a few is looking for a new coaching staff, dealing with buyouts, etc every 3-4 years. Some get unequivocal support from the administration, others have to live with fewer means.

This- occasionally at every school the "wrong" administration is hired that is at odds with the AD, and a power struggle ensues. See what's happened at USC, where the president was pretty determined to bring the AD to heel.

At Colorado back in the early part of this century, the AD lost and since then it's been pretty clear that there are bright line limitations for the AD and specifically the football program. No one in the admin above the AD since that time has viewed a strong football program as a marketing asset to the school, and so these restrictions and limitations are still in place. It's pretty clear that this systemic stuff is a big reason that MT left.

What's sad to me is that my perception is also that RG has decided that he loves his life living in Boulder near his grandkids, so he's pretty much given up fighting for any sort of change and it shows with the KD hire.

What puzzles me is that Benson didn't see this and do anything to change it- he strikes me as a guy who'd get this.

The only hope here is that the next president hire is someone who's at least sympathetic to the AD.

This- occasionally at every school the "wrong" administration is hired that is at odds with the AD, and a power struggle ensues. See what's happened at USC, where the president was pretty determined to bring the AD to heel.

At Colorado back in the early part of this century, the AD lost and since then it's been pretty clear that there are bright line limitations for the AD and specifically the football program. No one in the admin above the AD since that time has viewed a strong football program as a marketing asset to the school, and so these restrictions and limitations are still in place. It's pretty clear that this systemic stuff is a big reason that MT left.

What's sad to me is that my perception is also that RG has decided that he loves his life living in Boulder near his grandkids, so he's pretty much given up fighting for any sort of change and it shows with the KD hire.

What puzzles me is that Benson didn't see this and do anything to change it- he strikes me as a guy who'd get this.

The only hope here is that the next president hire is someone who's at least sympathetic to the AD.
Benson was hyper focused on the develop of our health facilities out in Aurora.

The noise from donors finally got loud enough he interceded after a decade of CU suckitude in 2018. That resulted in Tucker getting hired.

Then he left.

I really hope it doesn't take the new President that long to figure this **** out, but we have zero continuity since Hank Brown (edit: Mark Kennedy!) was hired and run off a year later.

Last edited:
Benson was hyper focused on the develop of our health facilities out in Aurora.

The noise from donors finally got loud enough he interceded after a decade of CU suckitude in 2018. That resulted in Tucker getting hired.

Then he left.

I really hope it doesn't take the new President that long to figure this **** out, but we have zero continuity since Hank Brown was hired and run off a year later.
Hank Brown was President at CU for three years. 2005-2008.

Tucker will either get a raise at MSU to $9 mill a year or go to LSU for $10 mill a year.

win win situation

Tucker will undoubtedly be one of the hottest targets for bigger programs, short of a second half collapse this year.

Next week vs Michigan will say a lot
Define collapse. They're going to lose to tOSU and PSU in my opinion. You're exactly right on the Michigan game.

Back