What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Pac-12 Is Increasingly A Have-Not

one of the main reasons I was opposed to CFB implementing a playoff (or any consensus national championship system) was that I believed it would drive a wedge between the P5 conferences and the rest of D1.

I am shocked, and legitimately did not predict:
  • how quickly that division has happened
  • that the gap would be even more pronounced between the top two conferences and the rest of the P5, never mind the gap between P5 and rest of D1
  • that the division would be even more pronounced between the top six schools and the rest of D1, never mind...

I will say I was one of the few people here who loved the old bowl system and argued against the BCS and then the playoff. Everyone though was so concerned with having a clear cut champion. I liked the uncertainty and all bowls meant something.

I will say I was one of the few people here who loved the old bowl system and argued against the BCS and then the playoff. Everyone though was so concerned with having a clear cut champion. I liked the uncertainty and all bowls meant something.
agree 98%.

The 2% where we differ, I never saw the former system as uncertainty (or "chaos" as some would put it). I saw it as acknowledgement that the different conferences weren't playing the same sport -- acknowledgement that the conferences had different recruiting budgets, different recruiting territories, different academic standards, stadium sizes, coaching budgets, red-shirt rules, etc......

I honestly don't recall a time where most bowls meant something, never mind all.

agree 98%.

The 2% where we differ, I never saw the former system as uncertainty (or "chaos" as some would put it). I saw it as acknowledgement that the different conferences weren't playing the same sport -- acknowledgement that the conferences had different recruiting budgets, different recruiting territories, different academic standards, stadium sizes, coaching budgets, red-shirt rules, etc......

I honestly don't recall a time where most bowls meant something, never mind all.

There was something to the Big 8 winners fans tossing oranges on the field, or the Pac 10 fans throwing roses. It’s didnt matter if that was going to be THE BOWL that particular year, but it meant something to the fans. It was more fun back then.*

*In full disclosure, I’m admittedly transitioning into old man stage.

Has there ever been an AD more destructive to the athletics of CU than Mike Bohn?
If we stayed in the Big-12 we would still have a big deficit compared to the SEC and Big-10 and that doesn't even take into account that the conference would have likely added TCU and someone else to remain at 12 so the payouts would be comparable to the Pac-12 right now. The only reason the Big-12 is above the PAC and ACC is they have less teams. It would be like if the Pac-12 dropped OSU and WSU.

one of the main reasons I was opposed to CFB implementing a playoff (or any consensus national championship system) was that I believed it would drive a wedge between the P5 conferences and the rest of D1.

I am shocked, and legitimately did not predict:
  • how quickly that division has happened
  • that the gap would be even more pronounced between the top two conferences and the rest of the P5, never mind the gap between P5 and rest of D1
  • that the division would be even more pronounced between the top six schools and the rest of D1, never mind...
What does the CFP (or any consensus national championship system) have to do with the financial gap? Whether the CFP exists or not, the SEC and BIG were going to generate massive TV contracts.

If we stayed in the Big-12 we would still have a big deficit compared to the SEC and Big-10 and that doesn't even take into account that the conference would have likely added TCU and someone else to remain at 12 so the payouts would be comparable to the Pac-12 right now. The only reason the Big-12 is above the PAC and ACC is they have less teams. It would be like if the Pac-12 dropped OSU and WSU.
I don't dispute anything you've written. However, saying if he had done nothing and CU would only be slightly less worse off isn't a ringing endorsement either.

**** it. Try to get to the B1G.

California is a nice place to visit, yes, but the same qualities of warm beaches and tons of amenities leads to an apathetic fan base. Californians largely do not give a **** about college football. The steel grey skies and boring lifestyle of the Midwest create rabid fans that have made the B1G a legitimate rival to the SEC. Have to drive to Lincoln or Iowa City for games? Fine. The atmosphere is lightyears better and if I wanted a true vacation I'd go on my own accord. So what if the academics are sub-par? Michigan, Northwestern etc have no issues and the money would open way more doors than tangentially being associated with Stanford and Cal or whatever.

Go to the B1G for the money. Go to the B1G for a much better college football experience. Go to the B1G to have a real ****ing rival. Go so that we don't have to wait until 8:30pm for kickoff. Go for whatever reason but for the love of everything try to get out of a supercharged Mountain West conference that clearly doesn't give a **** and reeks with ineptitude.

It's not like this is in the cards but if the opportunity to leave to the B1G presents itself then by all means don't hesitate. Sick of having more fun watching SEC and B1G games on Saturdays than anything the PAC has to offer.

Id make the same argument about returning to the Big 12.

Ten years later CU won a national championship and played for one nine years later. We're 15 years past Bohn's hiring of Hawkins and looking as dead as ever.

Baseball, wrestling, men's and women's gymnastics, men's and women's swimming, and women's diving comprised the seven programs that were discontinued on June 11, 1980, due to budget cuts.

I get the prestige of the NT, but even CSU has NCAA swimming. Your question was about the most damage to CU athletics. That right there is a heck of lot of damage to CU athletics that we still feel 40 years later.

What does the CFP (or any consensus national championship system) have to do with the financial gap? Whether the CFP exists or not, the SEC and BIG were going to generate massive TV contracts.
For me to back this with data, would take more research than I have time or inclination to do. But my belief is that:
  • the NC evolution has led to more top recruits going to a select fewer schools. this has accelerated since the BCS and even more with the CFP. this leads to few schools having realistic shots at competing for what is now the top prize
  • a smaller number of schools attracting a higher percentage of players has led to those schools performing consistently far above the rest, and also being higher valued financially
  • the B1G and SEC would not have the national value they have today without the trend toward consensus NC; the other conferences and their respective championships were more meaningful to fans. This resulted in those schools seeing higher attendance, higher viewership and higher merchandise sales.
  • all the above points lead indirectly to big money donations from boosters going to schools that they believe will compete for the NC, as the BMDs no longer care about conference championships

1. Fire Larry.
2. Hire someone who doesn't suck.
3. Make an offer to UT + whichever texas school they like the most + Oklahoma schools. Even if it's not fair at first. Pay them.
4. Watch baylor burn.
5. Profit!
I like almost nothing Darth ever posts, but this is spot on.

Conferences are not going to realign for awhile. Everyone is waiting to see how OTT evolves. And if there is any realignment, the PAC 12 and its schools are not in the driver seat for any of it.

Think it’s mostly location. P12 HQ is somewhere in San Francisco, the SEC HQ in Birmingham.

That'll do it.

That said, lets change things up:

Cut Larry's salary in half and move HQ to the cheapest place in the P12 footprint

wait. scratch that. Why can't we MSU the B10 and SEC? Surey their commish will be down to move to SF and more than double their salary?

Think it’s mostly location. P12 HQ is somewhere in San Francisco, the SEC HQ in Birmingham.
But $$$ are $$$. Could at least be in a place like Vegas or Phoenix where the rent would have to be at least half as much as San FranFreakshow.

Not arguing. Put it in ****ing Gunnison for all I care.
LA, Seattle, Portland...the PAC12 isn't lacking for geography.

Not even a member school, put it in ****ing Las Vegas.

,,,as a personal beef they hold the basketball tournament there. And it's ****ing great. Move the football game to the new Raiders stadium. ****ing yesterday.

LA, Seattle, Portland...the PAC12 isn't lacking for geography.

Not even a member school, put it in ****ing Las Vegas.

,,,as a personal beef they hold the basketball tournament there. And it's ****ing great. Move the football game to the new Raiders stadium. ****ing yesterday.
They did move the football game. Last July.

Last edited:
Back