What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Running Game - or lack thereof

Sometimes being reliable beats being more talented early in a season. Offerdahl being with the team last year plays a role in him being RB1 and allows a slow easing in of other backs. Limiting tape is also a factor. The vanilla run play calling is more of an issue IMO.

Sometimes being reliable beats being more talented early in a season. Offerdahl being with the team last year plays a roll in him being RB1and allows a slow easing in of other backs. Limiting tape is also a factor. The vanilla run play calling is more an issue IMO.
I did think it was weird that we didn't attack the edge more in the run game. Our big advantage in this game was speed.

I did think it was weird that we didn't attack the edge more in the run game. Our big advantage in this game was speed.
One possibility is that they don't trust their Tackle in the run game yet. And they don't have TE to block.

Positive: Reward Charlie with starter status and starter minutes.

Also Positive: let our RB4 get the brute of reps against a nasty D in NDSU. Saving our trio of workhorses for the real season.

Charlie did his job.

Positive: Reward Charlie with starter status and starter minutes.

Also Positive: let our RB4 get the brute of reps against a nasty D in NDSU. Saving our trio of workhorses for the real season.

Charlie did his job.
This is a big assumption....

He should be a tackle if we’re being honest. He’s a bit tall and a bit light in the lower body to play guard. My $0.02
I wonder if he'll get pushed by Tyler Johnson? Johnson has been a mystery all camp. Seemed like he may have been hurt? I kind of assumed he would have been one of the guard starters (based on transfer rating/pff grade), Benson at RT, and Brown competing with Hank at C. Strange now it has played out.

Shurmur doesn't seem like the type to give up on the run game. It will develop. Won't be our strength, but will be enough to keep defenses honest and sometimes be able to take control as the season progresses.
This doesn't look like an offense that is any different than last year. I always said we saw Shurmur all over it last year. We saw no Tight Ends, no commitment to the run game. I know that doesn't match our expectations from an NFL guy, but it's what it is. We should expect to see what we've seen by now.

We weren't holding anything back. We never do. Buffs are always emptying the playbook and scratching for every yard

This doesn't look like an offense that is any different than last year. I always said we saw Shurmur all over it last year. We saw no Tight Ends, no commitment to the run game. I know that doesn't match our expectations from an NFL guy, but it's what it is. We should expect to see what we've seen by now.
Yes. I will only believe our commitment to the run game when I see it. So far I haven't seen anything remotely indicating it

anyone else wanna pony up NIL $ for Ashton Jeanty from Boise State to enter the Portal?

How does a Florida kid get to Boise State?

I watched the BSU v. GS game.... that kid doesnt need an offensive line to block for him. Kinda solves 2 problems at once!

Last edited:
anyone else wanna pony up $ for Ashton Jeanty from Boise State to enter the Portal?

How does a Florida kid get to Boise State?

I watched the BSU v. GS game.... that kid doesnt need an offensive line to block for him. Kinda solves 2 problems at once!
They play Oregon next week. I am definitely interested in his performance against top D

I'm finding it hard to blame the running issues on Offerdahl like some others here. The "better" running back, Hayden, had 9 carries for 20 yds (52% of RB carries), averaging 3.5 ypc worse than he did last year at OSU. Offerdahl, had only 5 carries (30%) for 15 yds. He wasn't the feature back, as some may infer by reading the comments above, yet produced more yards per attempt than the former OSU stud RB.

The the only side-by-side comparison I was able to witness betweeh Offerdahl and Hayden was pretty much a wash.

The issue is likely the OL and or the running concept, not the RB choice at this point.

Don't discount how important in week 1 it is to play the RB who has the timing down on plays and reliably knows pass blocking assignments.
Welch went thru spring ball. If his timing isn't down, it's never going to be.
I suspect it's about making mistakes, zero tolerance. One mistake and Shedeur is toasted. Charlie doesn't make mistakes.

I said that all game
I said that all offseason - Shurmur!

Yet, as much as I don't think he is a good coach, I am really rooting for the guy. We need stability in that role during the season and through the offseason to bring in a solid QB. At a minimum he is a name that should be able to garner some QB attention - unless his offense continues to look like Sean Lewis'. If he fails, recruiting will take a hit in a year when we need a QB and to hold onto the OL we do have.

I said that all offseason - Shurmur!

Yet, as much as I don't think he is a good coach, I am really rooting for the guy. We need stability in that role during the season and through the offseason to bring in a solid QB. At a minimum he is a name that should be able to garner some QB attention - unless his offense continues to look like Sean Lewis'. If he fails, recruiting will take a hit in a year when we need a QB and to hold onto the OL we do have.
Not sure what Shurmur's running calling card is?
Shotgun single back running is weak sauce unless you have just an elite OL, especially without more help in the combos, such as a TE, or more WR blocking
Feel like we did not show any actual new running plays and used everything vanilla or from last year, at least I hope so!

I trust Charlie in short yardage more right now. He hits hard, has a low center of gravity, and drives his legs. The other guy sucked ass on that 4th and short. Didn't get low, didn't drive, missed the gap.
Good point. He reminds me of Lindsay when hitting the hole.

However, once he gets hit, it’s like a boomarang. He’s simply not built for P4 football. I think he has a role on this team, and he will excel at that.

NDSU by nature is hard to run on. They are built to stop the run and their run D is well coordinated.

A byproduct of the conference NDSU plays in. That was to be expected and I think we will see similar results against the Huskers next week but at least we should win that one.

Back