What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Running Game - or lack thereof

Nothing about CU and the run game is good. They didn't average 3 yards/carry against NDSU. The leading rusher had 20 yards and 2.2 per carry. What improves now that they are playing better teams?

I would really like to see more o line as a unit drills and coaching and Monte Clark influence blocks would be good to see practiced just to get more team blocking going, this would help the run game, thoughts?

I would really like to see more o line as a unit drills and coaching and Monte Clark influence blocks would be good to see practiced just to get more team blocking going, this would help the run game, thoughts?
Are you asking for my thoughts on Monte Clark influence blocks? Because, if you are, I’ll probably just start a new thread now.

I'm finding it hard to blame the running issues on Offerdahl like some others here. The "better" running back, Hayden, had 9 carries for 20 yds (52% of RB carries), averaging 3.5 ypc worse than he did last year at OSU. Offerdahl, had only 5 carries (30%) for 15 yds. He wasn't the feature back, as some may infer by reading the comments above, yet produced more yards per attempt than the former OSU stud RB.

The the only side-by-side comparison I was able to witness betweeh Offerdahl and Hayden was pretty much a wash.

The issue is likely the OL and or the running concept, not the RB choice at this point.
It's a combination of a lot of things. That said, if your line can only maintain run blocks for 2 seconds, you play the back that gets to the hole fastest. That's Hayden or Welch. On a couple of runs where Charlie got 2 yards, Hayden would've had 10. Charlie's a gamer, but none of our opponents need to gameplan for Charlie. Hayden, Welch, Augustine, hell even Drelon? Definitely. Now DC's and defenses need to worry about a threat other than simply coming after SS2.

Are you asking for my thoughts on Monte Clark influence blocks? Because, if you are, I’ll probably just start a new thread now.
Uncle Ken, outside of CU and coach Prime, I am a fan of well coached teams and I just hope to see CU's line well coached to play as a unit and team. When Monte Clark coached there was more time spent of offensive line as unit drills than the one on one pass blocking we see so often in the well off videos.

Uncle Ken, outside of CU and coach Prime, I am a fan of well coached teams and I just hope to see CU's line well coached to play as a unit and team. When Monte Clark coached there was more time spent of offensive line as unit drills than the one on one pass blocking we see so often in the well off videos.
I'm sure the well off videos are a full sample size of practices

It's a combination of a lot of things. That said, if your line can only maintain run blocks for 2 seconds, you play the back that gets to the hole fastest. That's Hayden or Welch. On a couple of runs where Charlie got 2 yards, Hayden would've had 10. Charlie's a gamer, but none of our opponents need to gameplan for Charlie. Hayden, Welch, Augustine, hell even Drelon? Definitely. Now DC's and defenses need to worry about a threat other than simply coming after SS2.
while blocks were being held on the 4th down run play.. why was there such a distance between tyler brown on the far right side of the line and the linemen on the middle to left side of the line? If this was by design, how does any running back get thru when so many defenders are not blocked or pushed back and free to fill both gaps?

Apologies. I misunderstood what you were saying.

Angry What Is This GIF by Adult Swim

Monte Freakin' Clark? We've brought Monte Freakin' Clark into this discussion?
insane fred savage GIF

First change I'm making is that Hayden is our featured RB. Not even close.

I also think the OL may need to be reshuffled. You have to roll with Seaton and let him develop, but I'm not sure you can afford to do that while you also have Brown playing out of position at RT. I'm not encouraged by how Zilinskas played tonight. May need to move a guard or Brown to C to solidify the interior OL and play the best of who's left at RT.

We just aren't committed to it. And there are reasons why, but it's so frustrating to see this two years in a row now. In running situations, the OL could not deliver. Early, we caught them napping by actually running the ball in 2d and 3d and mid (Offerdahl's 1st down comes to mind). After that, they steadily clamped things down.

Beyond a lack of push, I saw pulling guards coming around and missing both guys in front of them. I saw a refusal to try and play in a phone booth (outside of the 4th down disaster). Some of that was matchup oriented. But damn, we didn't even try. Do we have a TE that we trust at all? Because trying to have a run game running 4 wide is going to suck.

But another issue was the RPO. First, Shedeur pulled it a LOT. I won't pretend to know if he was making the right read, but if you give him a decision to make and it's 60/40 towards handing it off, he's gonna keep it. And we did get 500 yards of offense, etc., so obviously he wasn't making terrible reads. But in the red zone, we couldn't run and needed a miracle from Hunter to convert by the end. At some point this team needs to show it can run the ball on purpose with purpose.

TL;DR: I think we don't really want to run the ball and it shows. Prime may say he wants to, but the proof is in the puddin.
It's not that we aren't committed to it, it's that we don't have the talent. Last night was an abomination. They were only rushing three and four for the most part with the exception of two or three plays and we could not block them. If you can't block them you can't run the rock. I do question whether our coaching on the offensive side of the ball are doing their jobs in terms of development.

I also think the OL may need to be reshuffled. You have to roll with Seaton and let him develop, but I'm not sure you can afford to do that while you also have Brown playing out of position at RT. I'm not encouraged by how Zilinskas played tonight. May need to move a guard or Brown to C to solidify the interior OL and play the best of who's left at RT.
Totally agree here. As constitituted, this can not continue.

It's not that we aren't committed to it, it's that we don't have the talent. Last night was an abomination. They were only rushing three and four for the most part with the exception of two or three plays and we could not block them. If you can't block them you can't run the rock. I do question whether our coaching on the offensive side of the ball are doing their jobs in terms of development.
Talent?
I think we have plenty of talent
Just watching the Broncos use Toss runs with coordinated blocking is so much fun, just like the TD glory days
The spread Shotgun running game is so hard to watch and you know it will not be successful before it happens
Augustave has a nice forward lean and I wish we could just see all the backs get touches, but we have decided and said out loud that the "Potential" of our passing offense is just to seductive to even consider taking 1 or 2 of the WR off the field. That mental decision is the fait accompli

You know how bad CU’s offense is? We just had someone describe the BRONCOS offense as fun.

Sad Drink GIF
Watching a toss sweep and seeing all the blockers engage and the back heading for the outside space is better than a handoff to a standing RB that has to start running towards two massive DL that have already blown up the OL

Talent?
I think we have plenty of talent
Just watching the Broncos use Toss runs with coordinated blocking is so much fun, just like the TD glory days
The spread Shotgun running game is so hard to watch and you know it will not be successful before it happens
Augustave has a nice forward lean and I wish we could just see all the backs get touches, but we have decided and said out loud that the "Potential" of our passing offense is just to seductive to even consider taking 1 or 2 of the WR off the field. That mental decision is the fait accompli
Our backs can carry the ball, they have shown that given space they can use it, even Charlie who is the least physically talented of the bunch.

Our linemen can all block individually but we simply don't put the emphasis into it needed to have the coordination to be effective. Teams that are effective running the ball are teams that run it enough to get good at what they are doing.

The crazy thing about the current philosophy is that Shedeur could throw the ball 15 fewer times per game and with an effective running threat his numbers would improve (average yards per pass, per completion, etc.) because defenses would be forced to respect the run and not go to these umbrella zones that are denying him the intermediate to deep passes.

Related side note. Dylan Edwards who left us after last year had 4 carries for 54 yards and the tying TD Saturday for K-State.

Great! The season is 17% done and we want to reshuffle the entire O line.

Would like to see a wrinkle with some motion for our runs and also how about just flat handing the ball off on a jet sweep or end around.
^this... a complete lack of creativity with any sort of pre-snap motions/shifts. All that speed and inability to run between the tackles, and it took 8 qtrs to see a jet sweep or push pass. Where are the RPO's? Is Shurmur stubborn, not with the times or would CP rather lose 'developing' SS2 vs win (compete) doing gimmicky cfb stuff?

Back