What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tim Brando calling out the Pac 12 as a whole.

It’s a dumbass statement, but overall criticism of the league is justified. I think it’s a good thing to keep the pressure on to increase the profile of the league and it’s members.

There is plenty to justifiably criticize.

When the league didn't play any non-conference games, got to expect about half to finish with losing records.

P12 is not turning out elite teams or horrible teams. All that really needs to happen to change everything is for USC to start being USC again.

If the leadership at USC gave a damn about football, Mike Bohn is still the AD at Cincinnati right now. I'll believe change happens at USC when I see it take place.

Last edited:
Brando is like many of the media who don't bother to physically or mentally leave the east coast or midwest footprint then have diarrhea of the mouth based on group think.

There is no question that the PAC inflicts many of it's own wounds.

As I mentioned before playing an extra conference game each year instead of adding an OOC cupcake means the conference takes off 10-12 easy wins each year.

And talking OOC how often do those "amazing" SEC or ACC teams ever leave that footprint to even play a weak OOC opponent much less a decent one. This year alone the PAC includes the following OOC games.
Cal @ TCU away against a B12 regular bowl participant
Oregon @ Ohio State enough said
Oregon State @ Purdue not brutal but a B1G school on the road
Stanford @ Vandy a trip to SEC country and home against Notre Dame
Washington @ Michigan How many other teams with legit playoff hopes would travel to the Big House?
Washington State Not overly impressive but a good G5 program in Utah State and BYU at home which is rarely easy
Arizona BYU and SDSU not P5s but among the better G5 programs
Arizona State @ BYU
Colorado Texas A&M in Denver and Minnesota
UCLA Hosting LSU in one of those rare times an SEC school ever leaves the south
USC @ Notre Dame and hosting BYU
Utah @ BYU @ SDSU

So in addition to playing a conference schedule with one extra conference game in a conference that has few easy games (Arizona may be bad this year but are any P12 teams comparable to Duke and Syracuse in the ACC, Rutgers or Maryland (or Nebraska) in the B1G, Arkansas or Vandy or Ol Miss in the SEC, or of course everyone's favorite bye Kansas in the B12 the PAC traditionally plays a tougher OOC schedule than other conferences.

What the PAC currently lacks is an elite team. Part of that is SC tripping all over themselves and UW and Oregon stumbling some but a part of that is also that it is hard to become elite without having multiple easy conference games on your schedule. It is much easier to go undefeated when you only have to really worry about 4-6 games per year with the rest being OOC cupcakes and conference hangers on. The PAC has too many teams that are close to average but can beat anybody in a given week.

He has a 45-23 record, made 5 bowls in 6 seasons, won 3 division championships and 1 Pac 12 Championship. That may not be acceptable for USC standards, but did you really just compare him to Dan Hawkins?
Great record 45-23 at CU not so with SC with Helton 5 bogus bowls 3 titles in a weak division 1 conference championship during a pandemic. You're talking about SC standards I'm referring to the conference of champions of the national variety. Bohn won't deliver on the other hand as long as he's the AD we have better chance of breaking the O-ffer.

Great record 45-23 at CU not so with SC with Helton 5 bogus bowls 3 titles in a weak division 1 conference championship during a pandemic. You're talking about SC standards I'm referring to the conference of champions of the national variety. Bohn won't deliver on the other hand as long as he's the AD we have better chance of breaking the O-ffer.
Conference Championship was in 2017, not last year. Point is, he's had success, just not elite success, which makes it a little harder to fire him. He's certainly not Dan Hawkins, though.

Brando is like many of the media who don't bother to physically or mentally leave the east coast or midwest footprint then have diarrhea of the mouth based on group think.

There is no question that the PAC inflicts many of it's own wounds.

As I mentioned before playing an extra conference game each year instead of adding an OOC cupcake means the conference takes off 10-12 easy wins each year.

And talking OOC how often do those "amazing" SEC or ACC teams ever leave that footprint to even play a weak OOC opponent much less a decent one. This year alone the PAC includes the following OOC games.
Cal @ TCU away against a B12 regular bowl participant
Oregon @ Ohio State enough said
Oregon State @ Purdue not brutal but a B1G school on the road
Stanford @ Vandy a trip to SEC country and home against Notre Dame
Washington @ Michigan How many other teams with legit playoff hopes would travel to the Big House?
Washington State Not overly impressive but a good G5 program in Utah State and BYU at home which is rarely easy
Arizona BYU and SDSU not P5s but among the better G5 programs
Arizona State @ BYU
Colorado Texas A&M in Denver and Minnesota
UCLA Hosting LSU in one of those rare times an SEC school ever leaves the south
USC @ Notre Dame and hosting BYU
Utah @ BYU @ SDSU

So in addition to playing a conference schedule with one extra conference game in a conference that has few easy games (Arizona may be bad this year but are any P12 teams comparable to Duke and Syracuse in the ACC, Rutgers or Maryland (or ****braska) in the B1G, Arkansas or Vandy or Ol Miss in the SEC, or of course everyone's favorite bye Kansas in the B12 the PAC traditionally plays a tougher OOC schedule than other conferences.

What the PAC currently lacks is an elite team. Part of that is SC tripping all over themselves and UW and Oregon stumbling some but a part of that is also that it is hard to become elite without having multiple easy conference games on your schedule. It is much easier to go undefeated when you only have to really worry about 4-6 games per year with the rest being OOC cupcakes and conference hangers on. The PAC has too many teams that are close to average but can beat anybody in a given week.
I don't have issue with much of this only to say that it doesn't help to read in media that Oregon & Wash have great recruiting classes then lay an egg. I don't think I need to remind anyone that the slow rise in the 80's started with coach Mac scheduling difficult OOCs. In that time schedules weren't set 10-15 years in advance and you didn't really know how good each opponent was because there wasn't internet.

Will Stanford let Shaw go if the team craters this and next season? He'll have a good to great record by Stanford standards.
Money says they'll give him a very long rope.

I don't have issue with much of this only to say that it doesn't help to read in media that Oregon & Wash have great recruiting classes then lay an egg. I don't think I need to remind anyone that the slow rise in the 80's started with coach Mac scheduling difficult OOCs. In that time schedules weren't set 10-15 years in advance and you didn't really know how good each opponent was because there wasn't internet.
The great CU teams under Coach Mac played some brutal OOC schedules. It shouldn't be forgotten though that in those years CU was also playing Kansas, Kansas State, and Iowa State who were all really bad teams. Okie State was still not good either. The Big 8 at that time was very top heavy.

Absolutely correct I was pointing out that CU as a middling with aspirations & between Crowder/Mac chose the path of "to be the best you had to beat the best" which kills me about today's mentality of trying to get to 6 and bowl eligibility.
Terry Miller (Mitchell HS),> Thurman Thomas > Barry Sanders I wouldn't put OSU down as an easy out to the contrary.

More award winning piling on the Pac 12.
.....the Imaginary Lover conference we joined...soon to be diluted in an effort to keep up the haves/Jones's.
I'm grateful I probably won't live long enough to see the menagerie play out.
I'd rather live in the past...I see no future worth a BUFF.

PAC basketball was no good either until they went 12-2 in the tournament and buried over-rated conferences like the big ten.
Football pays the bills...The P12 can't survive being a Basketball conference which is what the ACC was not so much now.

The great CU teams under Coach Mac played some brutal OOC schedules. It shouldn't be forgotten though that in those years CU was also playing Kansas, Kansas State, and Iowa State who were all really bad teams. Okie State was still not good either. The Big 8 at that time was very top heavy.
Oklahoma was meh-to-ok during that time.
B58B5D26-7E36-4989-9935-089186CD90B2.jpeg

Conference Championship was in 2017, not last year. Point is, he's had success, just not elite success, which makes it a little harder to fire him. He's certainly not Dan Hawkins, though.

If Clay Helton put up the same numbers as coach of CU as he has at USC, he's a god among this fanbase. Coaching at Southern Cal means the expectations are higher. They haven't fired him because their leadership doesn't give a **** about football. Don't kid yourself. Hope all those water polo national championships they've won have been worth it.

Conference of Champions my ass.

If Clay Helton put up the same numbers as coach of CU as he has at USC, he's a god among this fanbase. Coaching at Southern Cal means the expectations are higher. They haven't fired him because their leadership doesn't give a **** about football. Don't kid yourself. Hope all those water polo national championships they've won have been worth it.

Conference of Champions my ass.
jennifer lawrence ok GIF

What could possibly be more important to Mike Bohn as their AD than an underperforming (by their standards) football team?

The college admissions scandal for one. Enfield and college basketball recruiting cloud for another.

And the university doctor sexually assaulting victims for years leading to $1.3 billion settlement in the past year has occupied his bosses' time.

The college admissions scandal for one. Enfield and college basketball recruiting cloud for another.

And the university doctor sexually assaulting victims for years leading to $1.3 billion settlement in the past year has occupied his bosses' time.

I'll give you the first and third. The second? Please. USC has probably had grounds to fire Andy Enfield for cause since the day Tony Bland got arrested.

I'll give you the first and third. The second? Please. USC has probably had grounds to fire Andy Enfield for cause since the day Tony Bland got arrested.
Yeah. And USC has a long history of negotiating with the NCAA to protect its football program while letting its hoops program take it on the chin instead.

Yeah. And USC has a long history of negotiating with the NCAA to protect its football program while letting its hoops program take it on the chin instead.

And I think on the first you can't tell me they don't have a nice little donor network they can use to buyout Helton.

.....the Imaginary Lover conference we joined...soon to be diluted in an effort to keep up the haves/Jones's.
I'm grateful I probably won't live long enough to see the menagerie play out.
I'd rather live in the past...I see no future worth a BUFF.

I see irony in this post and your moniker...

Back