What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Time to reboot this forum, I suppose

Is the goal just to get someone better than Dorrell?
No. I'm looking for a coach who can take CU to bowls in back to back seasons for starters. When was the last time that happened?

Time to build this program properly this time. No more glory years/next McCartney bull****.

No. I'm looking for a coach who can take CU to bowls in back to back seasons for starters. When was the last time that happened?

Time to build this program properly this time. No more glory years/next McCartney bull****.
I want that too, but going after Calhoun because he might be better than Dorrell is not what I’d like to see.

Calhoun has a great thing going at AFA but I’m skeptical a guy who has never coached or recruited for a P5 program can make the leap we would want. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong but in the 15 years Calhoun has coached at AFA, their record against P5 programs is 4-9.

His 4 wins were:
2019 CU
2019 Wazzu in the Cheez It Bowl
2010 GT in the Independence Bowl
2007 Notre Dame (a 3-9 Charlie Weis team)

Can he recruit the type of players to run that system or any other to compete against a full schedule of P5 programs? Maybe but he’s never had to do it or been part of a program that had to do it.

I want that too, but going after Calhoun because he might be better than Dorrell is not what I’d like to see.

Calhoun has a great thing going at AFA but I’m skeptical a guy who has never coached or recruited for a P5 program can make the leap we would want. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong but in the 15 years Calhoun has coached at AFA, their record against P5 programs is 4-9.

His 4 wins were:
2019 CU

Can he recruit the type of players to run that system or any other to compete against a full schedule of P5 programs? Maybe but he’s never had to do it or been part of a program that had to do it.
This. Calhoun is probably better than Dorrell, but that is a ridiculously low bar.

His 4 wins were:
2019 CU

Two things-One, Calhoun was at Wake from 01-02 under Grobe before he started with the Broncos, so he's been in the power 5 before. Two, you forgot they beat Louisville in a bowl last year. In addition, a Calhoun led Air Force team went to Oklahoma (ranked 7th in the country at the time) in 2010 and lost by a field goal. Two years later, another one lost by a touchdown to Michigan team that was top 20. They went back to Ann Arbor in 2017 and were down 19-13 going into the fourth quarter before Michigan scored 10 points to pull away. That Michigan team was 7th in the country going into that game. Not like they're getting housed like CSU last weekend at Michigan every time they go play a power 5 team.

Would he have a plan to compete if he got a power 5 job offer? Valid question. Not a reason to basically blow him off as a candidate like you did in your first response to me......especially in a search where we need a proven program builder. Is he my first call? No, but he's somebody I'd be very, very interested in if we're running a coach search in December.

we need a 32 person list of NFL WR coaches so we can find the most underwhelming one

Then we have our guy

Oh my god; this is actually a really fun game! It's basically an exercise in "remember that guy?!" Related to the below, Brian Griese is a QB coach in SF?!

Semi-memorable college players:
Former NFL Wide Recievers:
Old Friends:

But I think perhaps the most CU, "Already owns a house in Colorado," get CU on SportsCenter and mercilessly mocked would be this guy, currently Miami Dolphins WR coach:

1662742566022.png

Option football can be a good path to respectability (kind of how I feel about the Mike Leach offense), but it has a ceiling. Once you get to respectability, transitioning to other schemes tends to be very rough if you want to elevate to the next level. It almost sets you back to square one.

A few years ago, I would’ve said no way to Calhoun, but desperate times call for desperate measures I guess.

Also, I’ve read that if Calhoun went P5, he wouldn’t necessarily run the same offense he does at AFA.

His 4 wins were:
2019 CU

I don't question Calhoun's ability to coach at a P5 level. As mentioned elsewhere he could easily modify his system or change entirely as he has coached in a variety of systems. I also think that he could manage a staff that recruits effectively at a P5 level.

I have real questions about his fit in Boulder. Calhoun is a guy who fits very well with the community in Colorado Springs and at the AFA, very conservative politically/socially, not into or adept at satisfying the political whims of a campus like CU-Boulder.

At the academy he has his niche, win football games, develop leaders, mix well with the program donors who happen to mostly be defense contractors, aerospace manufacturers and developers, military IT suppliers, etc.

When he wants or needs something he takes it to the chain of command and has an answer, usually affirmative because he knows what will or won't be approved before he submits it.

He also doesn't have to mess with the interaction of his players with the local police and community. He doesn't have everyone from student government to faculty councils and local media questioning his response when something happens. At the academy when something goes wrong with a player again the response is pretty cut and dried and nobody continues to question it.

Two things-One, Calhoun was at Wake from 01-02 under Grobe before he started with the Broncos, so he's been in the power 5 before. Two, you forgot they beat Louisville in a bowl last year. In addition, a Calhoun led Air Force team went to Oklahoma (ranked 7th in the country at the time) in 2010 and lost by a field goal. Two years later, another one lost by a touchdown to Michigan team that was top 20. They went back to Ann Arbor in 2017 and were down 19-13 going into the fourth quarter before Michigan scored 10 points to pull away. That Michigan team was 7th in the country going into that game. Not like they're getting housed like CSU last weekend at Michigan every time they go play a power 5 team.

Would he have a plan to compete if he got a power 5 job offer? Valid question. Not a reason to basically blow him off as a candidate like you did in your first response to me......especially in a search where we need a proven program builder. Is he my first call? No, but he's somebody I'd be very, very interested in if we're running a coach search in December.
OK he’s 5-9 against P5, but please save me the close losses argument.

2 years at Wake 20 years ago?? My mistake, he’s ready!!!

Oh my god; this is actually a really fun game! It's basically an exercise in "remember that guy?!" Related to the below, Brian Griese is a QB coach in SF?!

Semi-memorable college players:
Former NFL Wide Recievers:
Old Friends:

But I think perhaps the most CU, "Already owns a house in Colorado," get CU on SportsCenter and mercilessly mocked would be this guy, currently Miami Dolphins WR coach:

View attachment 54036
There's another option on that Dolphins staff! It's been so fruitful before, why not tap that well again?
1662749886721.png

shoe throwing GIF

OK he’s 5-9 against P5, but please save me the close losses argument.

2 years at Wake 20 years ago?? My mistake, he’s ready!!!
You're gonna tell me all about who and why they fit here?

And watch people with takes like this change their tunes after we get our asses kicked by AFA tomorrow.
Jeff Grimes as Head Coach/OC
Scottie Hazelton as DC/AHC

:love::love::love::love::love:
Why would Scottie Hazelton leave MSU for the DC job here?

Someone from Troy Walter's family definitely wrote the family life section of that wiki page. Most likely his mom. LOL.

"Troy Walters is the son of Gail McHenry Walters and Trent Walters. Gail was born and raised in Louisville, Kentucky, and attended Indiana University, where she met her husband, Trent. Gail also actually integrated her very own high school in 1963!"

Because he wants to be HOME!

(It is far-fetched, but the Colorado ties make it a few shades above impossible)
Hahahaha okay.

You'd have to offer him the head coach job to do it.

I'm not doing that right now. I want a guy who is either an HC right now or has been one recently.

I mean, that's true, but MT also won 4 games that year against P5 teams.

If KD can beat Minnesota on the road next week and then go 3-6 in conference, I strongly suspect he gets another year regardless of what happens this Saturday.
No way is CU beating Minnesota next week. I'm only hoping they keep it close this week so the spread's not astromical next week and I can cash out the kid's college funds and lay the points.

Back