What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Time to reboot this forum, I suppose

Ok here’s my wishlist:

Tom Herman
Jeff Grimes
Josh Gattis
Jim Leonhard
Jeff Banks
Dan Mullen
Brian Hartline
Holmon Wiggins

I have a strong preference for young guys who have been part of big boy programs and know what top flight recruiting operations look like. The one exception is Leonhard who is a good coach that could bring his experience fielding a stout team with a clear identity and not filled with 4/5 star talent.

They could hire Nick Saban and it wouldn’t make any difference. So much more institutional work needs to be done. Do we honestly trust RG and Phil to guide the process? Yes, KD is absolutely incompetent, but the people in charge of hiring his replacement are every bit as bad. Let RG hire the next guy, and whoever he hires will be wondering who he will be working for in another year. Our best hope is that Saliman takes some leadership of the process and cuts Phil out completely.

Yeah, I think FSU is his next stop if he actually wants that kind of coaching job
If I were Deion, I would work really hard to make every HBCU like what he is doing at Jackson State. Come up with a huge NIL plan, and then if they could pull all the top Black players to those schools, maybe they could negotiate for one of the automatic berths into the CFP

Black players should be going to HBCU's instead of the Alabamas and the Clemsons anyway

They could hire Nick Saban and it wouldn’t make any difference. So much more institutional work needs to be done. Do we honestly trust RG and Phil to guide the process? Yes, KD is absolutely incompetent, but the people in charge of hiring his replacement are every bit as bad. Let RG hire the next guy, and whoever he hires will be wondering who he will be working for in another year. Our best hope is that Saliman takes some leadership of the process and cuts Phil out completely.
This is an interesting take. I wish you hadn't waited so long to share these thoughts.

If anyone is brave enough to go to a game, can you take in a sign that says:

Jeff Grimes
Dan Mullen
Tom Herman

Simple and effective. Keep it up as long as you can stomach to watch the game. Crowd should be nice and empty so odds on TV cameras to get you are high. Extra points if you hire a stripper to hold the sign for you

Hard to imagine a better option than Herman. Recruiter. Proven QB coach, offensive coordinator and playcaller, proven Head Coach at the G5 level, relatively successful HC at the blue blood level.

He’s so far and away the best candidate that it’s essentially unrealistic he would even consider CU.

Grimes is up there. Proven recruiter with deep Texas ties, extensive OL coaching experience, and experience as an OC/playcaller. He also knows CU (a good tiebreaker).

Grimes is up there. Proven recruiter with deep Texas ties, extensive OL coaching experience, and experience as an OC/playcaller. He also knows CU (a good tiebreaker).
But some guys just aren’t Head Coaches. Of course I’m not saying Grimes falls in that category, but Tom Herman has proven that he is a fairly successful one, which is a pretty big deal

Do we have an opening yet? Our Nub friends seem to have finally wised up. Wonder if the good ole boys club in Boulder will.

Ok here’s my wishlist:

Tom Herman
Jeff Grimes
Josh Gattis
Jim Leonhard
Jeff Banks
Dan Mullen
Brian Hartline
Holmon Wiggins

I have a strong preference for young guys who have been part of big boy programs and know what top flight recruiting operations look like. The one exception is Leonhard who is a good coach that could bring his experience fielding a stout team with a clear identity and not filled with 4/5 star talent.
If there were an opening, and if one of those coaches were offered, how would you handicap the likelihood each would accept assuming a standard CU contract offer? Using the first name on the list, it seems like Herman could have a lot of options (and he’s said he’d like to stay in the NFL fwiw). I’m not sure that he’s even a realistic hire.

What about the guy who was at Baylor, and is now coaching at Carolina, and will likely soon be fired because he has to put up with Baker Mayfield as his QB?

If there were an opening, and if one of those coaches were offered, how would you handicap the likelihood each would accept assuming a standard CU contract offer? Using the first name on the list, it seems like Herman could have a lot of options (and he’s said he’d like to stay in the NFL fwiw). I’m not sure that he’s even a realistic hire.
Herman, Gattis, Leonhard and Mullen are the lowest likelihood. All are likely to have plenty of options and CU will not be the most attractive open job (obviously). Only way to have a chance is with first mover advantage - if we’re not looking for a HC until Dec/Jan then forget about these guys.

Grimes - could be sneaky good opportunity. Really good resume, just don’t see his name mentioned much for HC jobs for whatever reason. Familiarity with CU should help.

Banks - similar to Grimes, really good resume but not often mentioned for HC jobs. He hasn’t held OC role and instead has been AHC and TE/ST but is a great recruiter and been a leader with big programs. I think we’d have a good chance if we were interested.

Hartline - Is going to be a HC and the only way CU could have a shot is to offer him a head job a year or two earlier than bigger programs would be willing to take the risk on him as a HC.

Wiggins - Similar to Hartline, only way to get him is to grab him before he becomes a bigger name. Also never been an OC, but hard to be critical of what he’s done with WRs at bama.

Herman, Gattis, Leonhard and Mullen are the lowest likelihood. All are likely to have plenty of options and CU will not be the most attractive open job (obviously). Only way to have a chance is with first mover advantage - if we’re not looking for a HC until Dec/Jan then forget about these guys.

Grimes - could be sneaky good opportunity. Really good resume, just don’t see his name mentioned much for HC jobs for whatever reason. Familiarity with CU should help.

Banks - similar to Grimes, really good resume but not often mentioned for HC jobs. He hasn’t held OC role and instead has been AHC and TE/ST but is a great recruiter and been a leader with big programs. I think we’d have a good chance if we were interested.

Hartline - Is going to be a HC and the only way CU could have a shot is to offer him a head job a year or two earlier than bigger programs would be willing to take the risk on him as a HC.

Wiggins - Similar to Hartline, only way to get him is to grab him before he becomes a bigger name. Also never been an OC, but hard to be critical of what he’s done with WRs at bama.
The feeling around Madison is that Leonhard is very comfortable in his DC position under Chryst and likely isn't leaving for anything other than Chryst's successor/replacement.

I was talking to my FIL last night about this actually, and I do wonder at what point Chryst's seat might start getting a little warm? Body of work is really good, but they're in a fairly weak division and have only won it once in the last 4 years and his teams have gone from being a shoe in for 10+ wins to kind of scratching and clawing for 8-9. I'm not sure what the long term expectations are in Madison, but Chryst has yet to find a QB and the traditional style of dominant defense and run game with no passing attack to speak of just isn't working anymore.

Dan Mullen is an interesting candidate. He’s got an abrasive personality and the media didn’t like him much during his time in Florida. He does have a very good offensive coaching mind, and he may fare better outside the bright lights in a place like Boulder where you are distant second fiddle to the Broncos. He’s from the northeast, and has coached out west and in the southeast.

The big knock is that he hates recruiting. The prevailing wisdom is that CU needs a really strong recruiter, but I go back and forth on that at this juncture. CU is so far down now that it’s very hard to pull in the big names, and I think Mullen would do just fine pulling in players rated in the 5.7 to 5.8 range, higher three stars. In the SEC, he struggled snagging the elite talent, but that’s just not a factor at CU right now.

Agent is Jimmy Sexton, though. 🤮

Last edited:
The feeling around Madison is that Leonhard is very comfortable in his DC position under Chryst and likely isn't leaving for anything other than Chryst's successor/replacement.

I was talking to my FIL last night about this actually, and I do wonder at what point Chryst's seat might start getting a little warm? Body of work is really good, but they're in a fairly weak division and have only won it once in the last 4 years and his teams have gone from being a shoe in for 10+ wins to kind of scratching and clawing for 8-9. I'm not sure what the long term expectations are in Madison, but Chryst has yet to find a QB and the traditional style of dominant defense and run game with no passing attack to speak of just isn't working anymore.
I feel like he has to have a pretty decent leash there. He’s cheap (in terms of the new BIG finances), and if you can convince yourself 2020 didn’t really count his worst season was 8-5 and they were in the Rose Bowl in 2019. We’ll see how this season goes, but I’d be nervous firing a guy like that and how much pressure it puts on the next guy and the admin to do better. Plus the dude just looks a Wisconsin football coach - if you were filming a movie about Wisconsin football, you’d want a guy who looks like this to play the HC.
1663001451658.jpeg

I feel like he has to have a pretty decent leash there. He’s cheap (in terms of the new BIG finances), and if you can convince yourself 2020 didn’t really count his worst season was 8-5 and they were in the Rose Bowl in 2019. We’ll see how this season goes, but I’d be nervous firing a guy like that and how much pressure it puts on the next guy and the admin to do better. Plus the dude just looks a Wisconsin football coach - if you were filming a movie about Wisconsin football, you’d want a guy who looks like this to play the HC.
View attachment 54169
Yep, completely agree. I highly doubt they make changes anytime soon as he has produced solid results and is part of the Wisconsin family (one of the more incestual programs in the country, btw). I just wonder about their long term expectations. They seem content being "Iowa" where they are going to expect to be IN the B1G CG every year, but have almost zero expectations of winning it.

Back