What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tom Herman - unemployed/still counting UT buyout money

The "no former Buffs" thing has to have some context around it. I'm completely opposed to limiting the search to former Buffs, having former Buffs forced on the AD, or going with an unqualified former Buff for financial reasons, reasons of stability, or the idea that he won't leave if he has success.

If Ryan Walters is going to be a great head coach somewhere else, he should be considered here. It would be entirely ironic and some serious "Buff ****" for CU not to consider a rising star because he's a former Buff, only to watch him take over a B1G or SEC program and succeed.
With 2 months to find a HC I'd be pissed if CU didn't at least reach out and see the level of interest. Walters is a hot name right now. If he went to school at any other university most here would have some interest in him.

Apparently, he is/was banned from a few HS programs down there, which played a part in his firing. I'm not sure if I fully believe all of that, and think he stance toward the racist "eyes of Texas" situation probably played more of a role in the good ol boys club wanting him fired.
I would not be surpised at all to find out that the second thing impacted the first thing as well.

Thing is, we have two months to get this done. It doesn’t not take 2 months to reach out to both Herman and Mendenhall and gauge their level of interest. That takes a day, maybe two.

The "no former Buffs" thing has to have some context around it. I'm completely opposed to limiting the search to former Buffs, having former Buffs forced on the AD, or going with an unqualified former Buff for financial reasons, reasons of stability, or the idea that he won't leave if he has success.

If Ryan Walters is going to be a great head coach somewhere else, he should be considered here. It would be entirely ironic and some serious "Buff ****" for CU not to consider a rising star because he's a former Buff, only to watch him take over a B1G or SEC program and succeed.
I also think it matters the era the former buff was here. Walter’s was 04-08? He’s not going to be preaching the glory years like EB or Embree

1) Texas boosters are difficult people to please. They call you difficult when you don’t meet their asinine demands. Which leads to…
2) Texas is great for resources and talent, but it is not a good job due to their insane boosters.
2) I definitely agree. 1) I'd say, at least, most of their boosters are impossible to please or close to it.

Translated for American audiences, Bill Parcells was a gigantic prick, but he won Super Bowls and turned around a few horrendous franchises.
Heard that plenty WHEN they were they were playing for him. Most guys I've heard after they were done playing praised the hell out of him.

Aren't we looking for a coach who overperforms with underwhelming talent...

...rather than someone who underperforms with overwhelming talent?

I hear a lot of rationalization about how hard it is to win at Texas (which is just weird) and I acknowledge Herman's success at Houston. I don't think he's a bad candidate.

But are we seriously going to sit here and suggest that the record he accumulated at Texas reflected the talent he had on the roster (and I acknowledge that other "it" coaches struggled to win at the level of their talent as well)?
Texas is going to need another Mac Brown type of coach before they take the next step. Someone who can manage their booster system (which is almost nearly impossible) and a guy who can manage an almost entire roster of massive egos. Saban can do the second part, but doesn't have to deal with the first part. It's going to take a very, very special coach to get Texas where they want to be.

I don't hold that against Herman. He has proven to be a damn good coach and recruiter.

I think Herman's my number one choice now.

I still don't really think his UT numbers are as stellar as some people do, but his Houston numbers are, and judging from the (lack of) success from everyone else post-Mack Brown at UT, I'm probably being unfair.

Still, I do have questions about his ability to recruit here, too. Recruiting to Texas is a cakewalk, and while Houston's G5 status counted against them going against the 5 P5 schools in the state of Texas, I would say it's still way easier to recruit to Houston than here.

I think Herman's my number one choice now.

I still don't really think his UT numbers are as stellar as some people do, but his Houston numbers are, and judging from the (lack of) success from everyone else post-Mack Brown at UT, I'm probably being unfair.

Still, I do have questions about his ability to recruit here, too. Recruiting to Texas is a cakewalk, and while Houston's G5 status counted against them going against the 5 P5 schools in the state of Texas, I would say it's still way easier to recruit to Houston than here.
Colorado recruited the State of Texas decently well as recently as 2020. Current QB1 had zero offers from major TX programs. Jordyn Tyson (probaby WR1 or WR2) had zero offers from major TX programs. Imagine if he had a coach and surrounding staff with legit TX connects and pedigree. Herman would put together a staff that would kill it down there.

Colorado recruited the State of Texas decently well as recently as 2020. Current QB1 had zero offers from major TX programs. Jordyn Tyson (probaby WR1 or WR2) had zero offers from major TX programs. Imagine if he had a coach and surrounding staff with legit TX connects and pedigree. Herman would put together a staff that would kill it down there.
Yes. Guys like David Beaty should be prioritized on staff. You need guys who have a TX network to get your foot in the door on top guys and to be clued in on the underrecruited guys.

I think for CU, you need 1 Houston metro, 1 DFW, 1 SoCal, 1 NoCal, 1 GA, 1 FL, 1 Poly and 1 CO guru. Fill in from there with hungry recruiters who don't have to be established in a specific geography. But that's the profile I'm hiring if I'm the HC for 8 of my assistants.

I'd be happy if I got half that since it would be a tremendous upgrade from the program culture we've had.

Yes. Guys like David Beaty should be prioritized on staff. You need guys who have a TX network to get your foot in the door on top guys and to be clued in on the underrecruited guys.

I think for CU, you need 1 Houston metro, 1 DFW, 1 SoCal, 1 NoCal, 1 GA, 1 FL, 1 Poly and 1 CO guru. Fill in from there with hungry recruiters who don't have to be established in a specific geography. But that's the profile I'm hiring if I'm the HC for 8 of my assistants.

I'd be happy if I got half that since it would be a tremendous upgrade from the program culture we've had.
Absolutely. Hit the places where we have had success, especially Texas. I am of the mindset that elite recruiting comes from the top. This is why I am excited about a guy like Herman. He has the connects (to form a staff and among HS coaches/workout guys) and the will to make it work where we need to do a great job. IMO, getting back to health in Texas is our quickest way to getting back as a program.

Herman is my #1, but somebody tell me why CU has a legitimate shot? If he wants back in, there are bound to be plenty of P5 jobs available, almost all of which are better than CU.
Well he was available during the entirety of last year’s crazy coaching carousel and no one hired him and I doubt people wanted to see how he handled himself as an analyst for the Bears, so maybe some overtures from CU early in this cycle might look pretty good?

That’s what I’m hanging my hat on.

The biggest issue is that Herman is getting paid $6,500,000 in 2022 and $6,750,000 in 2023 from UT. He may want to sit for another year and relax before coming back at end of next football season.

Herman is the type of guy that may like Boulder and he has three kids that he may want to raise in a good environment (not that most college towns aren’t good). There also don’t appear too many expected job openings west of the Mississippi, which may make CU attractive for candidates that want to be out west.

Last edited:
All he did at Texas to get fired was not being as good at politics as Mack Brown while aTm was making a fvckton of noise with fundraising, facilities and in-state recruiting hype.

His recruiting class ranks were outstanding and his record was a significant improvement.

Herman didn't come close to failing as the UT football coach. That was 100% a matter of "Texas gonna Texas."

Last edited:
The biggest issue is that Herman is getting paid $6,500,000 in 2022 and $6,750,000 in 2023 from UT. He may want to sit for another year and relax before coming back at end of next football season.

Herman is the type of guy that may like Boulder and he has three kids that he may want to raise in a good environment (not that most college towns aren’t good). There also don’t appear too many expected job openings west of the Mississippi, which may make CU attractive for candidates that want to be out west.
I hope others turn their noses up and we get to swoop in with a budget-ish setup using the Texas offset and use some bigger money on his preferred assistants.

All he did at Texas to get fired was not being as good at politics as Mack Brown while aTm was making a fvckton of noise with fundraising, facilities and in-state recruiting hype.

His recruiting class ranks were outstanding and his record was a significant improvement.

Herman didn't come close to failing as the UT football coach. That was 100% a mater of "Texas gonna Texas."
Which is exactly why I don’t view him as a typical retread that other good programs won’t want. Maybe the blue bloods have moved on, but why wouldn’t Nebraska or Auburn be interested? If it wasn’t for Leonhard, I’d ask the same for Wisconsin.

Which is exactly why I don’t view him as a typical retread that other good programs won’t want. Maybe the blue bloods have moved on, but why wouldn’t Nebraska or Auburn be interested? If it wasn’t for Leonhard, I’d ask the same for Wisconsin.
1) Auburn. I don’t think their selection criteria are well defined, so it’s up in the air with them. My sense is that they’ll want someone with $EC experience. I wonder if they’re also in the market for a new Athletic Director too.

2) Nebraska. Could be a player, but feels very similar to Texas with less talent in the surrounding area: tons of resources with outsized expectations. Maybe not a good fit for his wife either.

I think ego plays a role at some of those programs, at least amongst their vocal fans who may feel above taking another program’s cast off.

Nebraska will shoot for the moon (Urban, Fickell, Campbell, etc.). Once they get shut out, I think Herman will be in play

The big question on Herman will be if he can rebuild this roster given how little P5 talent is there, and the ridiculous restrictions put on recruiting. The dude can obviously coach.

1) Auburn. I don’t think their selection criteria are well defined, so it’s up in the air with them. My sense is that they’ll want someone with $EC experience. I wonder if they’re also in the market for a new Athletic Director too.

2) Nebraska. Could be a player, but feels very similar to Texas with less talent in the surrounding area: tons of resources with outsized expectations. Maybe not a good fit for his wife either.
Auburn’s AD quit a few weeks ago so they are in the market for a new one.

Tom Herman doesn't fit at Nebraska-for the same reasons he's not coaching Texas anymore, for one. Auburn? I think they could do worse, but I haven't seen his name pop up there.

Why wouldn't it be a good fit for his wife? I get it's Nebraska. Any other reason, just curious.

Thing is, we have two months to get this done. It doesn’t not take 2 months to reach out to both Herman and Mendenhall and gauge their level of interest. That takes a day, maybe two.
At this point if they haven't already done so then shame on them.

Back