What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

USC @ COLORADO Official Thread - 11/11 @ 2 PM on FOX

This team will have talent everywhere but where it matters...OL and DL. I hope we clean house with assistants and hire Gary Patterson’s staff away from him.

I like Bobo and I think he's played well. Fields and Ross have disappointed most of the year. The potential is there for next year's group to perform much better.
They've all had their moments but I think they've all disappointed. Too inconsistent. I'll remember them for the good moments, though.

Montez is a Soph, starting behind an iffy line that hasn't been the same guys for consecutive weeks all year. He has one running back and rarely gets to have his best receivers on the field at the same time.

I'm 100% behind him and thankfully my position will prevail for the next two years barring something unexpected. I don't care about the wishes of internet posters, many of whom couldn't make their high school team.

I feel like we can and should beat Utah, but it is going to take some good coaching in the Bye Week. What will piss me off is if we are sharp as hell and pound Utah after a bye week, knowing the schedule pretty much sucked not having a bye earlier in the year.

I will be pissed if we lose that game.
Agreed. Think CU is better than Utah, but have no idea what CU team will show up. MM is good at keeping this team motivated, so don't think that will be a problem. However, I think we see tons of mistakes from both sides. Hopefully the seniors put it all out on the line

I was at the game. Stadium announcer announced it as a first. I think one of the down markers was showing first. We all thought it was a first.
Wow. It was clearly short on tv. I am not sure if the refs told the down markers it was first and changed it, or the announcer really messed up. It's minuscule to the game, but something was up there.

Wow. It was clearly short on tv. I am not sure if the refs told the down markers it was first and changed it, or the announcer really messed up. It's minuscule to the game, but something was up there.

It very likely kept Colorado from covering.

What a disappointing loss... I just can't fathom Montez did not realize it was 4th down.
Man... I sure thought he made a first down on the previous play.. I was shocked then they started run in off the field. Looking forward to seeing the replay

We played a team that was much more talented than we are.

To win we had to have better coaching and better execution, we got neither.

Montez missed a bunch of open throws in the first half, missed some leadership opportunities in the second half.
The OL got dominated (as usual) when it mattered.
Fields had his usual at least one head scratcher play that cost us a TD.
Wigley had good coverage but failed to make the play on multiple passes (credit though he got better as the game went on.)
We still miss too many tackles

Much worse though was the coaching. Lindgren was terrible. He we don't have the talent to beat teams when they know what is coming, for much of the game we might as well have held up a sign for USC.

Every time we get a play for over 10 yards the following 1st down play is a run between the tackles, that almost always get stuffed leaving us in second and long. If he tried a play action the defense would fall over in shock on it.
Long out pass after long out pass. The pick 6 at the end of the first half I put completely on Lindgren. USC was ready to jump it at the snap. Went back and looked, if they had run and out and up it would have scored. SC wasn't even thinking about the route going downfield.
Ignore the middle of the field. Again JMac had single coverage coming out of the slot, sometimes by a LB. No, we are going to throw everything outside the hashes.
etc. etc.

I like Mac as our head coach, think he is a good man and a good coach. He also is a guy who needs to learn how to cut loose assistants who aren't getting it done, and he has some who haven't been getting it done at a level that lets us have a chance to consistently win.

By the way I am not down on Montez like many here. He does need though to bust his butt this off season and fix some parts of his game. A better QB coach would help. Supposedly Lindgren is some kind of QB guru but I haven't seen it. Sefo was Sefo for four years, what have we seen that says he can do great things with QB talent?

Agreed. Think CU is better than Utah, but have no idea what CU team will show up. MM is good at keeping this team motivated, so don't think that will be a problem. However, I think we see tons of mistakes from both sides. Hopefully the seniors put it all out on the line
Hard to tell who’s better based on performance. Utah lost by 1 pt at USC. ASU rolled Utah at home. The outcome really does depend on who shows up, as well as who makes the most mistakes (I think you can actually show up but still make mistakes, at least turnovers). Utah should have the advantage being at home, but there’s nothing definite about that.

My thinking is that if Utah gives an all-out effort at Washington, which will not affect their getting drubbed, they may be in poorer physical and mental shape facing the Buffs. If they (unofficially) concede and fold early vs UDub, they may be in better shape to revive for us. Just rambling, the first paragraph is my point.

[QUOTE="bombay, post: 2323200, member: 1610]

I'm 100% behind him and thankfully my position will prevail for the next two years barring something unexpected. I don't care about the wishes of internet posters, many of whom couldn't make their high school team.[/QUOTE]
I am with you but then again I made my hs fb team

We played a team that was much more talented than we are.

To win we had to have better coaching and better execution, we got neither.

Montez missed a bunch of open throws in the first half, missed some leadership opportunities in the second half.
The OL got dominated (as usual) when it mattered.
Fields had his usual at least one head scratcher play that cost us a TD.
Wigley had good coverage but failed to make the play on multiple passes (credit though he got better as the game went on.)
We still miss too many tackles

Much worse though was the coaching. Lindgren was terrible. He we don't have the talent to beat teams when they know what is coming, for much of the game we might as well have held up a sign for USC.

Every time we get a play for over 10 yards the following 1st down play is a run between the tackles, that almost always get stuffed leaving us in second and long. If he tried a play action the defense would fall over in shock on it.
Long out pass after long out pass. The pick 6 at the end of the first half I put completely on Lindgren. USC was ready to jump it at the snap. Went back and looked, if they had run and out and up it would have scored. SC wasn't even thinking about the route going downfield.
Ignore the middle of the field. Again JMac had single coverage coming out of the slot, sometimes by a LB. No, we are going to throw everything outside the hashes.
etc. etc.

I like Mac as our head coach, think he is a good man and a good coach. He also is a guy who needs to learn how to cut loose assistants who aren't getting it done, and he has some who haven't been getting it done at a level that lets us have a chance to consistently win.

By the way I am not down on Montez like many here. He does need though to bust his butt this off season and fix some parts of his game. A better QB coach would help. Supposedly Lindgren is some kind of QB guru but I haven't seen it. Sefo was Sefo for four years, what have we seen that says he can do great things with QB talent?

Really good QB coaching for Montez could mean the world for him. He has many things that I would like to see developed, such as Play Action (really selling it), Back Shoulder Throws, Fades, Pump Fakes, and most of the touch throws that he just does not yet use. He is operating at 50% capacity of what a QB should. He was probably not that well coached in High School. I also would prefer to have the QB Coach not be the Offensive Coordinator. Seems like maybe there is not enough time to fully commit to both of those tasks. Putting together a game plan takes time, and working every minute with a QB takes a lot of time, so please split those up with different guys. The OC could coach TE's or WR's, but not the QB. Also would like to have the QB Coach on the field with the QB's going through live discussions and coaching moments. Talking on the Bat Phone is not enough.

Well, that was frustrating. One thing for sure, USC has moved to the top of my **** list.

Back