What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

We now take you to USC, UA, Okie Lite, Auburn, Da U, KANSAS, & NC State

Subpoenas issued for Miller and LSU coach Will Wade: https://sports.yahoo.com/sean-mille...al-lift-veil-sports-corruption-184648370.html

Multiple sources told Yahoo Sports that preliminary notifications have been sent to representatives of Miller and Wade, stating that each will be subpoenaed to testify in the scandal’s second trial, which is scheduled for April 22 in New York. A preliminary notification is a courtesy that seeks guidance on the easiest way to serve papers to the named individual.

**** kansas, even moreso than ever. They're suing for restitution due to how they've been damaged from all of this. 1 million dollars is their case. Louisville is also suing, but they're asking for 32k. Both are stupid imo, but **** KU. I actually don't HATE KU like nebraska, but I've learned as a CU fan to just hate them from a jealousy aspect... ...and hated how they'd take over Coors... ...and so many of their ilk in this state.

once again, hopefully all this **** brings enough negative attention to the game that it encourages the NBA and USA Basketball to work harder together to develop a system for players good enough to play in the Pros out of high school, and even players seen as pro prospects down the road that don't want to go the college route. And at the same time for the NCAA to realize their system is broken and they'll never stop players from getting paid on some level. All of these investigations and lawsuits won't stop what's already going on, the system will just recycle like it always has.

once again, hopefully all this **** brings enough negative attention to the game that it encourages the NBA and USA Basketball to work harder together to develop a system for players good enough to play in the Pros out of high school, and even players seen as pro prospects down the road that don't want to go the college route. And at the same time for the NCAA to realize their system is broken and they'll never stop players from getting paid on some level. All of these investigations and lawsuits won't stop what's already going on, the system will just recycle like it always has.
It's actually hard to justify not buying players in college basketball. Hit on one star and you're filling your arena and going to the Dance. Two and you've got enough firepower to make a run. Three and you're a national title contender. Much different than football where you'd need a lot more guys and they're not nearly as predictable/projectable on how impactful they will be to your program.

It's actually hard to justify not buying players in college basketball. Hit on one star and you're filling your arena and going to the Dance. Two and you've got enough firepower to make a run. Three and you're a national title contender. Much different than football where you'd need a lot more guys and they're not nearly as predictable/projectable on how impactful they will be to your program.

Yup Agreed. At some level you're not doing your job if you're not getting these players paid.

Yup, and the penalty if you get caught doesn't come close to balancing the benefits gained for that time of success even if you do get caught. So the vacate some wins in the record book and take away a scholarship or two. The don't take back all the money you made selling tickets and being on TV, they don't cancel the donations from happy alumni.

Outside of your morality there really is no good reason not to cheat at basketball given the opportunity.

In case anyone had any curiosity on how LSU got good all of a sudden:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...72/sources-lsu-coach-wiretap-discussing-offer

According to people familiar with the calls, [HC Will] Wade was frustrated with a handler of current LSU guard Javonte Smart, who was then a top-50 recruit from Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

"I was thinking last night on this Smart thing," Wade told Dawkins during one of the calls. "I'll be honest with you, I'm [expletive] tired of dealing with the thing. Like I'm just [expletive] sick of dealing with the s---. Like, this should not be that [expletive] complicated.

"Dude," Wade continued during the call, "I went to [the handler] with a [expletive] strong-ass offer about a month ago. [Expletive] strong.

"The problem was, I know why he didn't take it now. It was [expletive] tilted toward the family a little bit. It was tilted toward taking care of the mom, taking care of the kid. Like it was tilted towards that. Now I know for a fact he didn't explain everything to the mom. I know now, he didn't get enough of the piece of the pie in the deal."

"It was a [expletive] hell of a [expletive] offer," Wade continued. "Hell of an offer. ... Especially for a kid who is going to be a two- or three-year kid."

In a different telephone call with Dawkins, Wade joked that the player would be compensated more than the "rookie minimum."
Wade told Dawkins that he had made deals for "as good of players as him" that were "a lot simpler than this."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...72/sources-lsu-coach-wiretap-discussing-offer

According to people familiar with the calls, [HC Will] Wade was frustrated with a handler of current LSU guard Javonte Smart, who was then a top-50 recruit from Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

"I was thinking last night on this Smart thing," Wade told Dawkins during one of the calls. "I'll be honest with you, I'm [expletive] tired of dealing with the thing. Like I'm just [expletive] sick of dealing with the s---. Like, this should not be that [expletive] complicated.

"Dude," Wade continued during the call, "I went to [the handler] with a [expletive] strong-ass offer about a month ago. [Expletive] strong.

"The problem was, I know why he didn't take it now. It was [expletive] tilted toward the family a little bit. It was tilted toward taking care of the mom, taking care of the kid. Like it was tilted towards that. Now I know for a fact he didn't explain everything to the mom. I know now, he didn't get enough of the piece of the pie in the deal."

"It was a [expletive] hell of a [expletive] offer," Wade continued. "Hell of an offer. ... Especially for a kid who is going to be a two- or three-year kid."

In a different telephone call with Dawkins, Wade joked that the player would be compensated more than the "rookie minimum."
Wade told Dawkins that he had made deals for "as good of players as him" that were "a lot simpler than this."
****, Louisiana Tech about to get hammered. Bet they lose a scholarship or two. NCAA going to show people they mean business.

This raises the question: do you pay more for a two- or three-year kid than a one-year kid?

Will Wade was just suspended.

**** kansas, even moreso than ever. They're suing for restitution due to how they've been damaged from all of this. 1 million dollars is their case. Louisville is also suing, but they're asking for 32k. Both are stupid imo, but **** KU. I actually don't HATE KU like nebraska, but I've learned as a CU fan to just hate them from a jealousy aspect... ...and hated how they'd take over Coors... ...and so many of their ilk in this state.

As i posted in another thread, you can take solace in the fact that we still have scoreboard on the Squawks ,,, and will unless Self mans up and agrees to play us in Boulder again, which he won't.

Turns out the FBI investigations might be the tip of the iceberg when it comes to corruption in college athletics. Rich people bribing colleges to accept their under qualified children.

Yup Agreed. At some level you're not doing your job if you're not getting these players paid.

They do get paid. How much does it cost per year for an out-of-state student to go to CU? A pretty standard teacher’s salary, at least. Then add in books and food, you’re looking at a plus five year teacher’s salary.

They do get paid. How much does it cost per year for an out-of-state student to go to CU? A pretty standard teacher’s salary, at least. Then add in books and food, you’re looking at a plus five year teacher’s salary.
For some reason people don’t get the concept that a scholarship is “getting paid.” Apparently money you didn’t have to spend isn’t the same as money you are given.

TIFWIW. Maybe this should be in the Coach Cal to UCLA thread?

giphy.gif

For some reason people don’t get the concept that a scholarship is “getting paid.” Apparently money you didn’t have to spend isn’t the same as money you are given.

How much can a scholarship earn in the stock market? Can your scholarship buy a house?

Back