What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What's our "rock bottom"?

I don’t see a single game on next years schedule that I’d pick CU to win at the moment.

Sept. 2 – TCU (Friday)
Sept. 10 – at Air Force
Sept. 17 – at Minnesota
Sept. 24 – UCLA
Oct. 1 – at Arizona
Oct. 8 – Bye
Oct. 15 – California
Oct. 22 – at Oregon State
Oct. 29 – Arizona State
Nov. 5 – Oregon

Nov. 11 – at Southern California (Friday)
Nov. 19 – at Washington
Nov. 26 – Utah

I don’t see a single game on next years schedule that I’d pick CU to win at the moment.

Sept. 2 – TCU (Friday)
Sept. 10 – at Air Force
Sept. 17 – at Minnesota
Sept. 24 – UCLA
Oct. 1 – at Arizona
Oct. 8 – Bye
Oct. 15 – California
Oct. 22 – at Oregon State
Oct. 29 – Arizona State
Nov. 5 – Oregon

Nov. 11 – at Southern California (Friday)
Nov. 19 – at Washington
Nov. 26 – Utah
Bye?

Honestly, Barnett getting fired might have been rock bottom. That was the beginning of the end. Our own, self-inflicted 62-36.
The Barnett firing was completely appropriate given what was happening at that time with the program.

Our choices since then have been our own fault.
Most of what "was going on in the program" wasn't really going on in the program, some was but most of it and the most serious was an invention of Mary Keenan and her pack of hounds.

The failure of the school administration to stand up to it though, to defend a group of innocent student athletes who were getting brutally smeared in the media, to defend their coach and instead hang him out to dry should have told us the direction things were going to go.

Phil was just a cumulation of this trend.

Most of what "was going on in the program" wasn't really going on in the program, some was but most of it and the most serious was an invention of Mary Keenan and her pack of hounds.

The failure of the school administration to stand up to it though, to defend a group of innocent student athletes who were getting brutally smeared in the media, to defend their coach and instead hang him out to dry should have told us the direction things were going to go.

And Phil was 100% a part of that.

He got the permanent promotion because of his performance when all that went down.

The sooner he leaves Boulder the better.

Multiple presidents, multiple ADs, multiple coaches, every one of which says they didn't get admin support, and one constant throughout: ****ty football and ****ing Phil smiling about it.

Last edited:

Invention? Stand up to it? We lost in court.

In August 2006 the ACLU Women’s Rights Project and Racial Justice Program, joined by the ACLU of Colorado, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, Inc., Legal Momentum, the National Partnership for Women and Families, and many other leading civil rights and women’s rights organizations filed a friend-of-the-court brief in the matter of Simpson v. University of Colorado on behalf of the appellants. The ACLU brief argued that the University is liable under Title IX for the sexual assault of Ms. Simpson and Ms. Gilmore because the University was on notice of a pattern of sexual assault and harassment in the football program and acted with deliberate indifference to the ongoing culture of hostility and abuse of women.

In September 2007 the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit found for the appellants and reversed the trial court’s summary judgment and remanded the case for further proceedings. The appellate court found that there was sufficient evidence to suggest that the University of Colorado “had an official policy of showing high school football recruits a ‘good time’ on their visits to the CU campus,” that it “failed to provide adequate supervision and guidance to player-hosts chosen to show the recruits a ‘good time’,” and that “the likelihood of such misconduct was so obvious that CU’s failure was the result of deliberate indifference” and thus Ms. Simpson and Ms. Gilmore’s suit should proceed. The unequivocal language of the Tenth Circuit sends a clear message to educational institutions that it is the responsibility of the institution to ensure that every student has equal educational opportunity and that female students are harmed when a institution acts with deliberate indifference to reports of a hostile environment.

Following this ruling from the Court of Appeals, in December 2007 the University of Colorado settled the case...

You can say what you like about Keenan but we lost, got a sharp rebuke, and that gave the larger University a big black eye. So they settled the case in fear of more bad press and made some changes, some of which that were apparently still living with today. I wonder if there was something more we the public didnt know about that luckily perhaps never came out.

Last edited:
The darkest hour is just before the dawn. Tell me that’s true. Please!
Marisa Tomei Movie GIF

In August 2006 the ACLU Women’s Rights Project and Racial Justice Program, joined by the ACLU of Colorado, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, Inc., Legal Momentum, the National Partnership for Women and Families, and many other leading civil rights and women’s rights organizations filed a friend-of-the-court brief in the matter of Simpson v. University of Colorado on behalf of the appellants. The ACLU brief argued that the University is liable under Title IX for the sexual assault of Ms. Simpson and Ms. Gilmore because the University was on notice of a pattern of sexual assault and harassment in the football program and acted with deliberate indifference to the ongoing culture of hostility and abuse of women.

In September 2007 the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit found for the appellants and reversed the trial court’s summary judgment and remanded the case for further proceedings. The appellate court found that there was sufficient evidence to suggest that the University of Colorado “had an official policy of showing high school football recruits a ‘good time’ on their visits to the CU campus,” that it “failed to provide adequate supervision and guidance to player-hosts chosen to show the recruits a ‘good time’,” and that “the likelihood of such misconduct was so obvious that CU’s failure was the result of deliberate indifference” and thus Ms. Simpson and Ms. Gilmore’s suit should proceed. The unequivocal language of the Tenth Circuit sends a clear message to educational institutions that it is the responsibility of the institution to ensure that every student has equal educational opportunity and that female students are harmed when a institution acts with deliberate indifference to reports of a hostile environment.

Following this ruling from the Court of Appeals, in December 2007 the University of Colorado settled the case...

You can say what you like about Keenan but we lost, got a sharp rebuke, and that gave the larger University a big black eye. So they settled the case in fear of more bad press and made some changes, some of which that were apparently still living with today. I wonder if there was something more we the public didnt know about that luckily perhaps never came out.
That's not losing, it's failing to get the case dismissed.

Apparently, a culture of showing recruits a good time was grounds for there potentially being merit to the suit. That's a black eye that was going to get worse if not settled. So, there was an issue. The settlement was appropriate. What wasn't appropriate was going completely outside the standard practice of every other program by not allowing overnight visits & crippling the football program's recruiting.

SkiBum already addressed this but if not for a failure to appropriately contest the case legally this wouldn't have gone down the way it did. When the plaintiff's attorney is married to the regent that insist that CU not legally contest the case over the objection of the universities own legal counsel. How much did they make from the settlement?

No question that there were some things happening at CU that needed to be cleaned up but allowing Keenan to smear every Black athlete in Boulder with her sensationalistic scare tactics was disgusting.

When you have a broken window or a leaky roof on your house you don't burn the house down, you fix it.

What CU did wasn't fix what was wrong, they burned down the program. Instead of addressing real but limited problems they destroyed a lot what was good.

I don't have the energy to completely rehash this, but the basic specifics are as follows: CU hosted recruits. Sometimes those recruits were taken to strip joints (legally), or had private gatherings where a stripper was hired (also legally, as there were no sexual favors given or paid for). This was arranged by player hosts, not coaches. This type of activity was used as part of a Title IX lawsuit, in response to Simpson, Knida, and other anonymous claims (none of which were ever proven). CU was afraid that the legal activities, combined with the media **** storm created by unproven claims (and fed by Keenan and Carlisle/her husband), would result in big penalties, and decided to settle.

CU was too scared to defend itself, and used the FB program as the sacrificial lamb.

I don't have the energy to completely rehash this, but the basic specifics are as follows: CU hosted recruits. Sometimes those recruits were taken to strip joints (legally), or had private gatherings where a stripper was hired (also legally, as there were no sexual favors given or paid for). This was arranged by player hosts, not coaches. This type of activity was used as part of a Title IX lawsuit, in response to Simpson, Knida, and other anonymous claims (none of which were ever proven). CU was afraid that the legal activities, combined with the media **** storm created by unproven claims (and fed by Keenan and Carlisle/her husband), would result in big penalties, and decided to settle.

CU was too scared to defend itself, and used the FB program as the sacrificial lamb.
Didn’t they finally settle on the 2nd or 3rd appeal after Simpson had lost the previous decisions?

66 wins in 15 years is absolutely pathetic…then you realize that we won 10 games in 2016, and it really gets put into perspective where this program is at. CU football is and will be a bottom 3 program in the P5 along with Kansas and Vanderbilt moving forward.
It's beginning to look a lot like FCS...

For the first time since I can ever remember, I will miss the home opener. My passion for CU football has taken a huge hit in the last year.
On the bright side, it’s freed me to explore other options for my entertainment budget. It’s remarkable what kind of things you can do with your time and money when you don’t have to worry about plowing them into a program that clearly doesn’t give a damn about winning.
I’ll see if I can get a few of my buddies to set up the tailgate in my absence.

For the first time since I can ever remember, I will miss the home opener. My passion for CU football has taken a huge hit in the last year.
On the bright side, it’s freed me to explore other options for my entertainment budget. It’s remarkable what kind of things you can do with your time and money when you don’t have to worry about plowing them into a program that clearly doesn’t give a damn about winning.
I’ll see if I can get a few of my buddies to set up the tailgate in my absence.
Maybe @Not Sure is available and can take over the duties. The transition could be seamless.

Back