What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Who should be our next head coach?

The frustrating part about the buyouts is that any big program that wants to poach someone from CU isn’t going to be deterred by a $5-$7m buyout. Michigan State isn’t even an elite program and they would have paid whatever it took to get Tucker. Matt Campbell and the ISU AD made sure ISU was protected with his buyout number because he knows the programs/NFL franchises coming after him will write whatever check is needed.
Tucker may have been a bit unique in that he had strong ties to the school and the area but CU shouldn't be losing coaches to schools like Michigan State.

If CU was serious about winning football games. Serious as in budgeting enough money to be competitive in hiring assistants, in admissions, in funding a strong support staff for recruiting and academic support.

Do those things and coaches wouldn't leave us for mid-level P5 programs. We may still lose coaches to top 10-20 type programs but we would be winning enough that it would take a lot to get people to leave.

We would also see a significant increase in fan and donor support making it easier to justify the increased spending.

Tucker may have been a bit unique in that he had strong ties to the school and the area but CU shouldn't be losing coaches to schools like Michigan State.

If CU was serious about winning football games. Serious as in budgeting enough money to be competitive in hiring assistants, in admissions, in funding a strong support staff for recruiting and academic support.

Do those things and coaches wouldn't leave us for mid-level P5 programs. We may still lose coaches to top 10-20 type programs but we would be winning enough that it would take a lot to get people to leave.

We would also see a significant increase in fan and donor support making it easier to justify the increased spending.
You say that Tucker might be unique but then layout all of the reasons that the situation isn’t unique. Any coach would have left CU for MSU under the same circumstances. I don’t think ties to MSU tipped the scale.

You say that Tucker might be unique but then layout all of the reasons that the situation isn’t unique. Any coach would have left CU for MSU under the same circumstances. I don’t think ties to MSU tipped the scale.
Unique in that even if we had actually tried to run a quality program Tucker probably would have left.

Point is that if CU was running an actual competitive program most coaches wouldn't go to a Michigan State. They would still leave for a Michigan but we shouldn't be a step down from programs like that. Right now we are not a step down, we are a whole ladder.

Unique in that even if we had actually tried to run a quality program Tucker probably would have left.

Point is that if CU was running an actual competitive program most coaches wouldn't go to a Michigan State. They would still leave for a Michigan but we shouldn't be a step down from programs like that. Right now we are not a step down, we are a whole ladder.
Maybe but it’s irrelevant. MSU is a clear step up in both pay and support.

Mtn, IMO Michigan State is a Much better college football HC job than CU. Not close. Been that way for a long time. Now maybe CU vs MSU as a university is another subject but they have been on different planets football-wise for at least 20 years.

Mtn, IMO Michigan State is a Much better college football HC job than CU. Not close. Been that way for a long time. Now maybe CU vs MSU as a university is another subject but they have been on different planets football-wise for at least 20 years.
Only because MSU has made a commitment to having a winning program.

That is the whole point here.

Michigan State isn't some kind of blue blood, some legendary program. Prior to the CU administration gutting us following the "scandal" nobody would have said that MSU is a better program than CU and it doesn't have to be that way now.

It hasn't always been this way and it shouldn't be now
Why does CU’s success 20-30 years ago mean they should be able achieve that same level of success or close to it now?

I can’t think of a single sport that has evolved over the last 20 years more drastically than College Football and CU got left behind.

money-ball-adapt-or-die.gif

Not 20 years but the last 12-13, yes.

When CU self imposed unnecessary sanctions and hired Hawkins, it was the beginning of the end at the worst possible time because the sport was about to start going through a drastic change with the explosion in media rights and social media exposure and its affect on recruiting.

When CU self imposed unnecessary sanctions and hired Hawkins, it was the beginning of the end at the worst possible time because the sport was about to start going through a drastic change with the explosion in media rights and social media exposure and its affect on recruiting.

Yep. CU really couldn’t have chosen a worse time to be irrelevant.

To understand that you have to ask why we got left behind. Utah certainly hasn’t been.

To understand that you have to ask why we got left behind. Utah certainly hasn’t been.
Because we parlayed the self imposed recruiting sanctions with a terrible hire that they hung onto for 5 years, and then doubled down with an even worse hire for 2 more years.

Utah was a G5 powerhouse with one of the best coaches in the country who left a stocked cupboard for their long time DC to easily transition into the HC position and keep it rolling.

Because we parlayed the self imposed recruiting sanctions with a terrible hire that they hung onto for 5 years, and then doubled down with an even worse hire for 2 more years.

Utah was a G5 powerhouse with one of the best coaches in the country who left a stocked cupboard for their long time DC to easily transition into the HC position and keep it rolling.
I know the history but there really is no excuse for the Univerity of Colorado to be in this bad of shape

I know the history but there really is no excuse for the Univerity of Colorado to be in this bad of shape
But why? We are located in a ****ty state for talent, the good talent in the state couldn’t care less about CU because they’ve literally never known CU to be anything but a joke, there aren’t very many boosters in general let alone mega boosters who care deeply about the success of the program, the city of Boulder has never really cared about football, they bolted for the Pac 12, which ended up being run into the ground by Larry Scott increasing the wealth gap between other conferences by a large margin, and the University itself has been run by people who are indifferent toward athletics.

What makes you say there are no excuses to be where we are. It’s all very obvious.

You're right, the Dantonio years began in 2013......in my sometimes fractured memory he'd been there much longer.

But why? We are located in a ****ty state for talent, the good talent in the state couldn’t care less about CU because they’ve literally never known CU to be anything but a joke, there aren’t very many boosters in general let alone mega boosters who care deeply about the success of the program, the city of Boulder has never really cared about football, they bolted for the Pac 12, which ended up being run into the ground by Larry Scott increasing the wealth gap between other conferences by a large margin, and the University itself has been run by people who are indifferent toward athletics.

What makes you say there are no excuses to be where we are. It’s all very obvious.
I agree with all of that.

Is it too much to ask that we be at least as good as Iowa, Iowa State, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Missouri, or the like.

To me with competent leadership that should be easily attainable?

I wonder if we could find a young up and comer at FCS who would bring energy and take the job for a million a year with the understanding that if he is doing well he's going to get paid as soon as the KD contract is done.

Hard to say that kind of coach would be worse than what we have.

Is it too much to ask that we be at least as good as Iowa, Iowa State, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Missouri, or the like.

I am stunned that the infrastructure of college football is so hard to master. Putting the success of your operations completely on a single coach is dumb! Build the tech and procedures to recruit and build a program despite the HC, and when you interview the new coach explain what is in place and demand and expect the “operation” to flourish. I hate Herm Edwards and ASU are cheaters, but I like what they have done with the CEO Model.

Gordon Gee, who admittedly had his faults, presided over CU from 1985 to 1990. He knew athletics mattered and did everything he could to advance it and the institution. He was a very visible supporter of the program and AD Bill Marolt, who also knew how to advocate, lobby, etc. Devine alchemy with Gee, Marolt, and McCartney. Turned an early eighties, laughing stock program into a national champion in six years.

Last edited:
Gordon Gee, who admittedly had his faults, presided over CU from 1985 to 1990. He knew athletics mattered and did everything he could to advance it and the institution. He was a very visible supporter of the program and AD Bill Marolt, who also knew how to advocate, lobby, etc. Devine alchemy with Gee, Marolt, and McCartney. Turned an early eighties, laughing stock program into a national champion in six years.
McCartney does not win a national championship without either Gee or Marolt, IMO. Admission flexibility was paramount and Gee and Marolt assisted greatly there. Yes, there were outcries and some players had run ins with the law and it was embarrassing. The bad came with the good but some disadvantaged kids got an education and became young men and their lives were changed. Some flamed out.

I guess my point is if there’s to be any hope at all for the future of the football program ever achieving any degree of modest success, it has to start at the top. The president of the university must have a vision for athletics and its proper place in advancing the institution. The AD and the president will frame a long range plan and donors like Kelli Brooks will climb aboard and a new coach, who has pedigree, will see that vision and climb aboard as well. That’s what MT was looking for and didn’t see.

Well yeah, if CU Boulder ever gets a President, Chancellor and BOR all in lock step with making football a priority, we can likely be Iowa, Wisconsin, Washington, Michigan State, or maybe even better. It’s a conscious choice the University is making, though, so I just don’t think saying “there aren’t any excuses” is relevant.

I wonder if we could find a young up and comer at FCS who would bring energy and take the job for a million a year with the understanding that if he is doing well he's going to get paid as soon as the KD contract is done.

Hard to say that kind of coach would be worse than what we have.
Do you really want the CU admin to believe that head coaches can be hired for $1M? Going cheap rarely works.

Do you really want the CU admin to believe that head coaches can be hired for $1M? Going cheap rarely works.
No, I want a real program overall.

The cheap coach would be a placeholder to hopefully prevent a further slide.

Ultimately we need to spend on a coach but that will make no difference unless they commit to the entire program.

Until that happens no decent coach will want to be here and we will be overpaying for losers or leavers.

Add James Corbridge to that list. We seem to overlook the Chancellor in all these discussions.

No, I want a real program overall.

The cheap coach would be a placeholder to hopefully prevent a further slide.

Ultimately we need to spend on a coach but that will make no difference unless they commit to the entire program.

Until that happens no decent coach will want to be here and we will be overpaying for losers or leavers.
You want a real program, and your idea is to hire a cheap placeholder coach? How many successful programs hire cheap coaches or placeholder coaches?

Back