What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2012-13 Bubble Watch

Minnesota losing badly to a good, but recently struggling, Ohio State team to fall to 6-8 in the B1G has got to have their fans sweating a bit. If not for that comeback OT win vs Wisconsin recently, they'd be in bad shape.

i was with a bunch of gophers this weekend and they are saying shaka smart is going to replace tubby. i laughed, but apparently the current AD was at VCU up until last year.

So win some games and get the 7 seed and be favored in the 7/10 :thumbsup:

It's another story for another day, but Miami losing much, much earlier than expected in the Dance would not surprise me.

Sounds like a great plan c'ville - and I think I'm with you there. Miami is talented, but I thought mizzou was last year until they blew a hole in my bracket that took me the entire tourney to overcome and scrape out a respectable 2nd place and get my money back in the work pool.

Sounds like a great plan c'ville - and I think I'm with you there. Miami is talented, but I thought mizzou was last year until they blew a hole in my bracket that took me the entire tourney to overcome and scrape out a respectable 2nd place and get my money back in the work pool.

On one hand, Miami is has all the experience and leadership that is vital to go deep, along with an excellent coach, and shown they can win close games. But on the other hand, they've been seriously over-achieving, and have looked increasingly vulnerable lately. Their last 3 or 4 games have all come down to the last possession or so, and it hasn't exactly been against murderer's row. I just feel like a loss is coming their way very, very soon and that they may never be the same after that. It's more a gut feeling than anything, but I wouldn't at all be shocked to see them out in the Round of 32.

Iowa State winning at Baylor was big for both. I don't know if they're both in or both out.

So many teams with mediocre resumes this year that I wouldn't mind seeing the committee just go straight by RPI.

Baylor loses at home to Iowa State. Bears are in serious trouble now. They drop to 16-10. RPI was only 55th heading into this, they're now likely to drop right about to that zone where history shows getting in is quite a rarity. Even worse, they go on the road to Oklahoma in their next game. They'll have opportunities for big home wins when K-State and Kansas visit, but if they go out and get a stupid loss at West Virginia, or Texas, they're basically toast IMO.

ISU is most definitely in if the season ended right now. Baylor is a VERY tough call, but I think this loss might put them on the outside looking in for the time being, but they're awfully close if they're out.

Last edited:
Kansas wins, 68-67.

In other news, Gonzaga looks like they're peaking. Halftime lead against 19-8 Santa Clara: 44-15. :wow:

Washington down by 8 to AZ 33-25 in another demonstration of really great officiating. Not a big Bill Walton fan but he is giving it to Larry Scott on air (Scott in the stands watching his iPad and not the game)

I've never been a believe in these Gonzaga teams over the years and this year is no different. They're the Boise of college basketball.

Where do you see them bowing out of the tourney?

I have a hard time not seeing them in the Elite 8 this year.

I've never been a believe in these Gonzaga teams over the years and this year is no different. They're the Boise of college basketball.

Your -presumable- favorite college basketball coach would vehemently disagree with you. Heard Boeheim say that they realistically could win the national championship this year. To me, to imply Gonzaga is a 'Boise' of basketball might infer that Butler is too. I think it's simply a case of two very different sports. Yeah, the Zags during the Few tenure have never gone really really deep in the Dance. However, they've won at least one game in the Dance 10/13 years under Few. To me, that shows ability that is completely un-Boise like.

Back to Gonzaga for a sec. They've played 8 power conference schools and Butler, and it includes a win at Oklahoma State, along with wins over Kansas State and Oklahoma on neutral courts, and Baylor at home. Also beat West Virginia. My point is they're 5-0 against the Big XII. They'd probably win it this year. I just don't personally buy that they couldn't handle the wear and tear of a power conference.

Thursday's bubble action -- of course our Buffs have an opportunity to move a step closer to locking up a bid. A second loss to Utah would edge the Buffs back into the bubble world.

Arkansas hosts Georgia -- Razorbacks are 16-9, 7-5. RPI is lagging at 74th. They have wins over Florida, Oklahoma and Missouri, but losses to South Carolina and Vanderbilt. They're a long shot, to even have a chance they would need to finish really strong and get a win at Missouri...or at Florida...which is a lot to ask for a team that's 1-6 on the road.

Cincinnati at UConn -- Bearcats aren't really a bubble team. Still in good shape at 19-7, 7-6. RPI 39th. However, they have lost 3/4 and now hit a rough stretch of at UConn, at Notre Dame, UConn, at Louisville, before finishing with South Florida. Even if they went 2-3, they'd still finish 21-10, 9-9. That's not being left out. It would take complete collapse

La Salle at Temple -- a very bubbly game. La Salle sits 18-6, 8-3. RPI 35th. They're on the right side of the fence right now and a win at Temple would put them in great shape as they hit an easy 3 game stretch next, before finishing at A-10 leader Saint Louis. Temple, at 17-8, 6-5, RPI 48th. They're right on the line at the moment. Desperately need to get a quality win at home to help vault them in.

Middle Tennessee hosts South Alabama -- I'm just going to throw this one out there. Middle Tennessee should roll right through the Sun Belt tournament and lock up the auto-bid. However, they are 23-4, RPI 26th. Not much OOC, wins over Ole Miss and UCF. 3 of their losses are to top 50 RPI teams, Florida, Akron and Belmont. And their other loss is to an Arkansas State team that's 145th, 20 spots higher than Utah. Seems like if they kept winning until an upset in the Sun Belt championship game, they'd have quite a case at 29-5 and a damn fine RPI.

Illinois hosts Penn State -- Illini have surged, 4 straight wins to put themselves 19-8, 6-7. RPI 27th. They're in for now. Just don't do anything absurd like lose to Penn State or Nebraska on their home court, and they'll make it. That last sentence sounds vaguely familiar to another situation..

Cal at Oregon -- What a HUGE game for Cal. Then again, every game is huge when you are literally the last team in the field, which is where Bracketology currently has Cal. Bears are 16-9, 8-5. Beating Arizona and UCLA to give hope to a season that looked lost. RPI 54th.

BYU at St. Mary's -- Gaels are 22-5, 11-2. Both losses to Gonzaga. RPI 51st. No real quality wins..best are BYU and Utah State. Sub-100 losses to Pacific and Georgia Tech. Looks meh, yet the brackets show them in at the moment. BYU is 20-8, 9-4. RPI 62nd. Best win is Santa Clara, yeah the team that lost 85-42 tonight. Seems to be their only victory over a top 100 opponent, but they beat Santa Clara twice. Impressive :rolling_eyes: .Beat Utah State, who currently sits 112th. Bad losses to San Francisco and San Diego. Yet Bracketology still has them in the 'Next Four Out'. If anything ever so clearly illustrated the weak bubble that the expansion of the tournament to 68 teams will create most years, it's the fact these two are seriously in the running to get into the Dance.

I am a full believer that this is Gonzaga's best team. Don't get the Zag hate out there.

Gonzaga Sucks. Go Toreros!

But they are really really good. I hope this team does better than any of those bitchy Adam Morrison teams. God I hate that guy.

Uconn wins, Arkansas wins (barely), Temple wins, and Illinois wins. Stanford down against OSU at half, probably not considered a bubble team anyway. BYU and St. Mary's locked in a close game. This really does have to be the weakest bubble I can remember.

So Oregon loses and only scores in the 40s again at home. They went from top 25 to bubble team in just a few weeks. Their RPI is a dangerous 49 and we need them to finish with an RPI above 50. Hopefully they can finish 3-1

So Oregon loses and only scores in the 40s again at home. They went from top 25 to bubble team in just a few weeks. Their RPI is a dangerous 49 and we need them to finish with an RPI above 50. Hopefully they can finish 3-1

Like us, in terms of just getting in, all they need to do is just avoid bad losses. Meaning, they need to not lose to Utah or Oregon State in their remaining games. Maybe you have an updated RPI thing, but both sites I looked at, espn and realtimerpi, had their RPI 38th heading into tonight. If the season ended right now, they'd be like a 9 or 10 seed imo.

Like us, in terms of just getting in, all they need to do is just avoid bad losses. Meaning, they need to not lose to Utah or Oregon State in their remaining games. Maybe you have an updated RPI thing, but both sites I looked at, espn and realtimerpi, had their RPI 38th heading into tonight. If the season ended right now, they'd be like a 9 or 10 seed imo.

Here is where I see them #49

http://www.rpiforecast.com/live-rpi.html

Last edited:

I see what you see on that one. I was looking at this http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_Men.html and this http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/2483/oregon-ducks the one you had is updated to them being 21-6, so maybe they did fall 11 spots, mine aren't updated. Seems like an awful lot to fall given that Cal isn't exactly a horrendous loss. I know Oregon played Cincinnati this season and they lost at UConn tonight.

I see what you see on that one. I was looking at this http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_Men.html and this http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/2483/oregon-ducks the one you had is updated to them being 21-6, so maybe they did fall 11 spots, mine aren't updated. Seems like an awful lot to fall given that Cal isn't exactly a horrendous loss. I know Oregon played Cincinnati this season and they lost at UConn tonight.

Maybe it wasn't just the loss but maybe just a bad RPI night where all the teams they needed to win lost their games. If they truly are 49 they are in trouble.

Maybe it wasn't just the loss but maybe just a bad RPI night where all the teams they needed to win lost their games. If they truly are 49 they are in trouble.

Yes I agree on that. If they fell to 49th, then they need to do more than just beat Utah and Oregon State...they better get their **** together and beat Stanford this weekend.

This St. Mary's vs BYU game is close and fun to watch. But it completely has the look of watching 2 of the better NIT teams play deep into that tourney. Neither should be in the Dance. 54-53 SM with 3:42 left to play.

This St. Mary's vs BYU game is close and fun to watch. But it completely has the look of watching 2 of the better NIT teams play deep into that tourney. Neither should be in the Dance. 54-53 SM with 3:42 left to play.

It's a joke BYU is even in the picture. And the fact the brackets have St. Mary's in might be even worse. BYU has two top 100 wins...both over Santa Clara, who lost 85-42 last night and is on the fringes of the top 100

Saint Louis just won at Butler.

It's getting really hard to get a feel for anything below the 3-line in the seeding. Committee has a tough job this year. I think seeding is much tougher than the bubble this year, actually.

Saint Louis just won at Butler.

It's getting really hard to get a feel for anything below the 3-line in the seeding. Committee has a tough job this year. I think seeding is much tougher than the bubble this year, actually.

Saint Louis is clearly a lock now. They were on the brink of it already.

Back