What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2012-13 Bubble Watch

Saturday's bubble games. Buff fans can sit back, and watch which bubbles pop, and hopefully some teams competing with us for seeds slip up.

Clemson at Maryland. Terps sit 18-8, 6-7. RPI 68th. Terps looked to be pushing for a tournament bid with the win over Duke last Saturday, but then they went and lost at Boston College on Wednesday. BC is the Utah of the ACC, they play nearly everyone extremely tough. They lost to Miami and Duke each by 1. However, a sub-100 loss was the last thing Maryland could afford. It's officially desperation time for the Terps. A win over Clemson won't do much, but it will keep them alive in the hunt, whereas a loss bursts their bubble.

Southern Miss at Memphis. Memphis is safe, the focus is on Southern Miss. Golden Eagles are 21-6, 10-2. RPI 37th. It's one of these 'No good wins, no bad losses' situations...about as clear cut as you'll ever see it. They desperately need a quality win, and this is their last chance in the regular season.

Alabama at LSU. Crimson Tide are 18-8, 10-3. RPI 58th. 3 terrible losses -- Mercer, Tulane, and Auburn in which they scored 37, make this a long shot, even with the solid conference record. Their 'quality' wins are Villanova and Kentucky. That just doesn't do it. They need to go win in Gainesville on March 2nd or frankly it's hard to see. Any sort of questionable loss and their burble is burst.

Texas Tech at Iowa State. Cyclones are 18-8, 8-5. RPI 44th. Crucial win for ISU at Baylor this week. They're on the right side of things for the time being, but the schedule gets nasty after lowly Texas Tech visits.

VCU at Xavier. VCU is 21-6, 9-3. RPI 36th. They're in pretty good shape, but their remaining schedule is quite difficult. They'll need to be careful. I'm also here to warn you that VCU would be a difficult opponent. Shaka's style eats teams alive who are prone to bad passes and other forms of turning the ball over. They thrive on that. And they're right in that range where we could see them in an 8/9 or 7/10 game.

NC State at North Carolina. Heels are 18-8, 8-5. RPI 26th. Heels are on the right side of things, but it's a remaining schedule that has difficult games and land mines. Carolina has a lack of quality wins, they badly need to beat NCSU. A loss brings them back closer to the danger zone.

Auburn at Ole Miss. Rebs are 19-7, 8-5. RPI 57th. They did exactly what they couldn't afford to do during the week, losing at lowly South Carolina. Like Alabama, they have a severe lack of quality wins. They beat Mizzou in early January. That's about it. They had been successful at avoiding miserable losses, until they went and lost at South Carolina. Now, they're in serious trouble. 5 games remaining, and no opportunity to gain much. A game against Alabama, and then a bunch of garbage like Auburn. Ole Miss just seems to be sliding the wrong way. I'm not feeling it. They seem to be the SEC's best hope of a 3rd bid, but they're right on the line. They have 5 games remaining, and have to win all 5 or they're toast.

Baylor at Oklahoma. Bears are 16-10, 7-6. RPI 60th. That home loss to ISU during the week now has Baylor in serious trouble. They're right on the line, and have a very difficult schedule remaining, not just of games against great teams, but also dangerous road games against opponents that will burst bubbles. A win at Oklahoma would be a massive step in the right direction.

Marquette at Villanova. Nova is 17-10, 8-6. RPI 55th. This is a case of 'how many Big East teams can get in'. In Nova's case, they're right on the line...and probably the wrong side at the moment. They have those excellent home wins over Syracuse and Louisville, yet they also got their doors blown off by Ivy League basement team Columbia at home. Getting swept by Providence wasn't the greatest idea, either. A win over Marquette would be a major boost in their hopes.

Cal at Oregon State. Golden Bears are 17-9, 9-5. RPI 46th. Wow. What was looking like a lower NIT seed is now on the right side of things in the Dance after this impressive 4 game winning streak. They're nowhere near safe enough to take their foot off the gas, though. A loss at Oregon State would put Cal back on the wrong side.

Arkansas at Florida. Razorbacks are 17-9, 8-5. RPI 72nd. Arkansas is a complete long shot, their win over Florida was followed by getting their doors blown off at Vanderbilt. It's just been that type of year. 1 true road win. However, they've got their chance to be a legitimate contender. A sweep over Florida would look mighty nice on the resume...

LA Monroe at Middle Tennessee. Mid Tennessee is 24-4, 16-1. RPI 23rd. 1 bad loss. Best win is Ole Miss. Still, given their gaudy RPI, if they fell in the Sun Belt championship and had a 29-5 record, the Committee would give them a look. Still probably wouldn't be enough, but we've seen stranger choices in the past.

Creighton at St. Mary's. St. Mary's is 23-5, 12-2. RPI 50th. Their biggest bragging point is a sweep of NIT-bound BYU. They have bad losses to Pacific and Georgia Tech. Yet still, the 'bracketologists' have them in for the time being. This is their chance to get a decent win. Creighton should probably be careful, although they're in decent shape. 23-6, 11-5. RPI 47th. Still, they've lost 3/5. 3 games remain, including this and Wichita State.

Missouri at Kentucky. Wildcats are 18-8, 9-4. RPI 48th. Best wins are Maryland and Ole Miss. Now missing Noel, they've been CRUSHED at Tennessee, and had to hold on for dear life to beat lowly Vanderbilt at home. Yet still, they are right on the line. A win over a decent Mizzou team would probably put Kentucky on the right side of things for the time being.

Boise State at Fresno State. Boise is 17-8, 5-6. RPI 43rd. Boise was the winner of a de-facto 'bubble elimination' game against Air Force this week. Their hopes are alive, but they need a really strong finish for it to come to fruition. Suffice to say, a loss at Fresno State would be bubble burst.

Washington at Arizona State. RPI 67th. Scum Devils are 20-7, 9-5. Good luck to Arizona State, as they have one of the weakest OOC SOS in the nation. CU fans know first hand that the Committee loves to snub over that. Losing at home to Washington would be a near pop to their bubble, as they have a nasty 3 game road stretch to end the regular season.

Last edited:
Dude, seriously ... when the hell do you sleep? :huh:

But thanks for your (as always) incredibly informative rundowns re college b-ball and for the implications for CU.

But thanks for your (as always) incredibly informative rundowns re college b-ball and for the implications for CU.

CVille slept once. On the night of September 10th 2001. He hasn't slept since.

My reaction exactly! Thanks CVille

Thank you, Cville.

I looked at the Saturday schedule last night and thought, "Way too many games that matter today. I'm not touching a preview". You rock.

Edit: 1 more game that I'm watching very closely.

Iowa (17-9, 6-7) is at Nebraska. Iowa's RPI is at #80. Their best wins were Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa State - all at home. Worst losses were @ Virginia Tech and @ Purdue. With a remaining schedule of @ Nebraska, Purdue, @ Indiana, Illinois, Nebraska... Iowa is very likely to finish at least .500 in the B1G and have at least 20 wins. Considering the strength of their conference, that could very well get them in the Dance despite the poor RPI. Unbalanced schedule benefited Iowa, as they only caught Michigan State, Michigan, Illinois and Ohio state once each this season (that's 4 of the top 6 in the B1G). I've got a suspicion that Iowa is going to be a team that sends a team with an RPI under 45 to the NIT unless they take a bad loss down the stretch.

So. Miss-Memphis game had been very entertaining. So Miss playing their hearts out with a lot of defense intensity but Memphis shooters are killing them. Memphis will probably win by 15 or more in the end. So Miss won't be able to keep up. If you haven't seen Memphis in the last few weeks they look scary good.

I'm watching ESPN and getting annoyed. They put their "Last 4 In" and "First 4 Out" graphic on the screen. But do they show their relative RPIs? You know, the measure the NCAA Selection Committee actually uses? Of course not. Instead, they present the meaningless BPI ratings of each. Until I hear about anyone outside of Bristol using BPI or this becoming the ESPN Tourney, I don't give a **** about ****ing BPI.

P.S. CU827 is spot on. Memphis has a monster team this year.

Not a bubble game, but...

Miami trying to fight back at Wake Forest, they've been down BIG, still down 44-34, but plenty of time.

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it, Miami is due for an early exit from the Dance.

Wake's got some talent. Bzdelik is close to cementing a rep as an architect. The next coach there should win right away.

He's recruited well, no doubt. Just won't be able to see it through. Tobacco Road doesn't allow lengthy rebuilds.

66-53 Wake, under 4 remaining.

I've always wondered the same thing about nik. :lol:

Insomnia's a bitch. :lol:

Back on topic:

Iowa lost at Nebraska. Forget about them.
Alabama won in OT at LSU. Tide aren't dead yet. (Still on life support, though.)

Insomnia's a bitch. :lol:

Back on topic:

Iowa lost at Nebraska. Forget about them.
Alabama won in OT at LSU. Tide aren't dead yet. (Still on life support, though.)

Tide are alive for now, but it's probably going to take a win at Florida

Looks like ESPN ****ed up the Alabama game, just like they did Murray State the other night. Now showing Alabama in 3OT at LSU

Oklahoma is murdering Baylor, no pun intended, 47-21 at halftime. Baylor is in deep ****.

North Carolina beats NC State to edge closer to safety.

Maryland beats Clemson to keep their hopes alive. Still much work to be done.

Started hearing a lot of chatter in the last week or so that Middle Tennessee State could be a bubble buster if they somehow lost in their conference tournament. They come into today 24-4 and 15-1 in the Sun Belt. RPI at #22 due to the gaudy record and losing to several good teams, including Florida. Big win was over Ole Miss.

Destroying an awful LA-Monroe team today, 46-15 at the half. Keep an eye on the Sun Belt tourney.

Started hearing a lot of chatter in the last week or so that Middle Tennessee State could be a bubble buster if they somehow lost in their conference tournament. They come into today 24-4 and 15-1 in the Sun Belt. RPI at #22 due to the gaudy record and losing to several good teams, including Florida. Big win was over Ole Miss.

Destroying an awful LA-Monroe team today, 46-15 at the half. Keep an eye on the Sun Belt tourney.

I've been mentioning MTSU in my bubble watches, their RPI was 23rd heading to today. 3 of their 4 losses are very respectable, no great wins, but did beat Ole Miss. If they lose in the Sun Belt Tourney Final, they deserve a serious look as they'd be 29-5 with a solid RPI. No reason St. Mary's deserves consideration and these guys don't.

Speaking of St. Mary's, they're up 14 on Creighton with 7 minutes left. I would love to catch Creighton in the tourney. Put Dre on McDermott, Ski on Chatman & Mayor on Gibbs... march to the next round.

Speaking of St. Mary's, they're up 14 on Creighton with 7 minutes left. I would love to catch Creighton in the tourney. Put Dre on McDermott, Ski on Chatman & Mayor on Gibbs... march to the next round.

Agree Creighton is very beatable. They'd better be careful, assuming they lose, they're edging backwards towards the danger zone

Big win for Villanova over Marquette. Major boost for their hopes.

Cal survives by 1 at Oregon State, a loss would have been very damaging to Cal's hopes

Florida beat Arkansas by 17. Razorbacks needed the sweep over the Gators to get in the conversation. RPI and conference strength are too low for them to have a shot at the Dance. Done.

I don't think that they can get to the Dance unless they win the WAC, but Denver deserves some love. Started today at #88 and won at #64 N Iowa in the Bracketbusters challenge. DU is now 18-8 (13-2) with its final 3 games at home against NMSU, UTA & LA-Tech, 3 of the better teams in the WAC and all with winning records. DU could make a move.

Back