What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2013-14 CU MBB SOS Watch (OOC & Pac-12 Opponents)

I don't think CU's OOC and early Conference play will be completely disregarded. They still count. The committee will give CU the benefit of the doubt imo, as long as the Buffs can give them some reason to do so, even if we're only 8-9 post injury.

Far as going 9-9 overall tho, I'd be sh*tting bricks on selection day, especially if Arizona ends up the only Top 25 team in the Conference.

Utah is more talented their their RPI for sure. Just can't finish games.

Don't see 20 wins 9-9 as a Dance lock by any means, but that's where we need to be to at least feel fairly good about our chances. I wouldn't be sitting on my couch with 100% confidence, that's for damn sure. Certainly wouldn't be ideal to do that and flame out in our first Pac-12 tournament game. Our RPI is currently 26 (well ahead of Cal 42, ASU 46, Oregon 47, Stanford 48) Our OOC RPI is 16. We've got some key things working in our favor. 21 wins and 10-8 locks it up without much of a doubt. Have to hope we get the 4 aforementioned wins and find a way to either beat Zona or win a road game besides USC. Not out of the question, but not easy at a time when we may be facing bubble teams fighting for their lives on the road. I fear 20 and 9-9 may be our fate.

And of course there's the whole Pac-12 tournament deal. Can be a blessing or a nightmare.

Long way to go but I'm pumped about making a stand today and hopefully getting back on track. Exciting time. So many hypotheticals this early in February, the clarity will start to come for better or worse.

And as one last feel good, we've got Harvard currently sitting 40 in the RPI and unlikely they lose again,and Wyoming should remain top 100 (currently 93). We've scheduled the way the committee wants it while a whole
host of our competitors haven't grasped how to do so. Have to have faith that works in our favor. Major lesson learned from 2011.

I just got caught up on this thread and nobody is talking (on any thread I've found so far) about Arizona going down?!?!?! Are you guys still waking up or already checked out of college hoops for the Broncos game?

I assume the AB general sentiment is: this is not good for the conference, not the best for CU, we'd rather have a #1 come into Coors on Game Day, we'd rather take down Goliath when they're unbeaten than just pile on their second L, ....

Am I right? Or is the anit-Cat sentiment enough to overcome those feelings?

edit: after posting, I went back through and noted the 3 - 4 comment that C-ville and others made.

Last edited:
I just got caught up on this thread and nobody is talking (on any thread I've found so far) about Arizona going down?!?!?! Are you guys still waking up or already checked out of college hoops for the Broncos game?

I assume the AB general sentiment is: this is not good for the conference, not the best for CU, we'd rather have a #1 come into Coors on Game Day, we'd rather take down Goliath when they're unbeaten than just pile on their second L, ....

edit: after posting, I went back through and noted the 3 - 4 comment that C-ville and others made.

It was late, man. :lol:

Cal played lights-out and Cobbs hit the shot of the year in Pac-12 play to win it at the end.

I never thought Arizona was going undefeated. They said during the game that the last team to go undefeated in Pac conference play was UCLA in '71-'72 when it was the Pac-8. 40 years is a long time and there's too much talent on every roster. Especially on the night Ashley went down with a broken foot and it looked like Nick Johnson was gutting through injury, I actually came away more impressed with Zona than I had been. I don't know how they only lost by 2 under the circumstances.

With Cal, the guy who looked really special was Wallace. Damn. That dude is so good. It was so close to him being a Buff.

I don't think Arizona is a must win game (although I do think it would be a resume punching win, most likely). But do think this team is going to be judged by how they play post Dinwiddie, in large part. So far, we have wins against the #119 and #124 RPI's in the country. Have 3 more good chances to get wins against teams with 100+ rpi's (and Utah won't be easy to say the least). Washington certainly looks very beatable. That could put CU at 9 wins, with none really impressing the committee as far as beating a Tournament Caliber team.

need to get at least 1 win against Cal, Stanford, Zona, ASU, UCLA. This Conference is probably a lot more wide open then it was before the day, with Brandon Ashley likely lost for significant time with a broken foot
Keeping the status quo (winning all the games we should, losing all the ones we should) -- I agree that beating UofA would get as in the Tourney.

I was hoping UofA was going to stay unbeaten until coming into Coors, still a huge game regardless but potentially taking down #1 with GameDay there would've been something else. Going undefeated is really, really tough. I didn't think UofA would lose this game, but not too surprised.

nice win for Oregon State. Crazy log jam between the 4-8 spots in the Pac

Not wild about them winning and joining us in the 5-4 logjam. We aren't catching UCLA, even with them now 6-3. Just glad we hold the tiebreaker over the Beavs, never thought I'd see the day where we might need it.

Not wild about them winning and joining us in the 5-4 logjam. We aren't catching UCLA, even with them now 6-3. Just glad we hold the tiebreaker over the Beavs, never thought I'd see the day where we might need it.

Yeah, don't think CU catches UCLA, although I'm probably about as unimpressed with UCLA's team as one could be for the 2nd place team in the Conference. Don't think Oregon State finds a way to get 9 or 10 wins, so don't see it as too big of a negative. Biggest issue is UCLA had a shot to join the rankings perhaps, and that's probably not happening now.

Yeah, don't think CU catches UCLA, although I'm probably about as unimpressed with UCLA's team as one could be for the 2nd place team in the Conference. Don't think Oregon State finds a way to get 9 or 10 wins, so don't see it as too big of a negative. Biggest issue is UCLA had a shot to join the rankings perhaps, and that's probably not happening now.

Yep Arizona and the 11 dwarves is not a good look despite how many tough teams we actually have.

Jackson State plays at AR Pine Bluff tonight (in an attempt to do something positive for CU since we played them)

#19 Oklahoma State hosts #16 Iowa State. Cowpokes are a shadow of what they were when we played them since injuries & player misconduct hit. This is a huge game for them to try to right the ship and get above .500 in Big 12 play.

Jackson State caught sleep-walking in the 1st half to fall behind by 16. Lost by 1 point.

Okie Lite in OT with the Clones.

I hope Spencer gets to play against Smart again. Soon. Hope The Mayor puts him on the floor with some real contact...

Wyo goes down in overtime @ New Mexico. Would have been a very nice resume booster to end the night for us. Wyo is clearly a top 100 team, just need that to stay official...

Elon beats UNC Greensville to go to 13-11 (6-3).

Georgia is up on 82-71 LSU with 3:35 to play.

UT Martin is up 47-37 at the half at E Illinois.

Big win for the Dawgs and very damaging to an LSU team Lunardi has just in as of today.

:nod:

If you're a tourney team, you don't lose by 13 at Georgia on national tv. That's not a tough home crowd this season.

:nod:

If you're a tourney team, you don't lose by 13 at Georgia on national tv. That's not a tough home crowd this season.

the 8 just in/just out teams seem especially weak this year. We've got work to do but it's hard to see how we don't stack up favorably against teams like LSU come March.

Everyone on Georgia's roster is from Georgia or Mississippi, except for one guy who comes off the bench who is from Montenegro. He looked like their most skilled player during the CU game, and he was their high scorer tonight. Someone needs to make a tv show about that guys life.

Everyone on Georgia's roster is from Georgia or Mississippi, except for one guy who comes off the bench who is from Montenegro. He looked like their most skilled player during the CU game, and he was their high scorer tonight. Someone needs to make a tv show about that guys life.

Georgia would have an excellent team if they actually got the best players in Georgia. Problem is the top Georgia guys go ACC or to an SEC power like Kentucky. Nearly everyone hits the Atlanta area hard in the ACC.

Okay ... this is not important enough to start its own thread about ... so I'll post it here ...

I'm watching both the UDub @ Utah and UO @ AZ games. And I find myself asking ...

WHEN THE **** DID BLACK BECOME AN OFFICIAL COLOR FOR UDUB, OREGON, OR ALMOST ANY OTHER ****ING TEAM (SUCH AS USC, UCLA, etc. etc. etc.) WHENEVER THE **** THEY FEEL LIKE WEARING IT IN EITHER BASKETBALL OR FOOTBALL!?!?! :bang:

Seriously ... CU used to have an almost exclusive claim to black unis (along with schools like Wake Forest, Purdue, Princeton, etc.) who could establish that black was one of its official colors. Yes ... I know that CU's official colors are actually silver and gold ... but we established black as an unofficial one in the 1950s because IIRC players' numerals showed up better against a black background, both in person and on the black and white TV format that was the norm of the day back then.

But now you tune into almost any college basketball game (or football game for that matter) and odds are you will see one team sporting black more often than not, regardless whether black is one of their actual colors. WTF is up with that?

Yeah ... I know all about the supposed "intimidation" factor attributed to black ... but **** that. Wear your own ****ing colors ... or change them. But CU should have a legitimate claim to uniqueness based on tradition. Otherwise, I say we eschew wearing black and go to silver and gold unis, home or away, for both football and basketball. And if the home teams don't like it, they can go **** themselves. *

*something I've wanted to vent about for some time now :huh:

Georgia would have an excellent team if they actually got the best players in Georgia. Problem is the top Georgia guys go ACC or to an SEC power like Kentucky. Nearly everyone hits the Atlanta area hard in the ACC.

Yeah, I like how Dominique Wilkins decided to go there and create his own legacy. It's more fun to cheer stars that go to random schools, like Steph Curry at Davidson. It would have been great if LeBron had spent a year at Akron. :lol:

Yeah, I like how Dominique Wilkins decided to go there and create his own legacy. It's more fun to cheer stars that go to random schools, like Steph Curry at Davidson. It would have been great if LeBron had spent a year at Akron. :lol:
Didn't he say he would've gone to OSU had he gone to college?

Back