What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2015 Coaching Carousel

UB gets to roll the dice like this. Heck, if I was the AD at a FCS/DII/III school with nothing to lose I would hire that high school coach who never punts and always does onside kickoffs. Apparently he was up 28-0 on some team before they ever even had the ball...

Need to find that article again; it was about the fact that innovation in football doesn't occur at the higher levels, but at the lower levels. Good read.
He actually did that? Should we call him Dirty Sanchez?

He actually did that? Should we call him Dirty Sanchez?
UB's new coach did NOT do that, but there is a high school coach somewhere in the south (Alabama maybe?) that does do that.

If I were a lower level AD, I would totally take a flyer on hiring someone like that.

Gotcha. People kinda scoff at hiring a high school coach sometimes, I can raise you two that have done pretty well, Briles and Malzhan.

Last edited:
Gotcha. People kinda scoff at hiring a high school coach sometimes, I can raise you two that have done pretty well, Briles and Malzhan.

Malzahn went from HS coach to college QB coach, then to OC, then to HC. The process took him about 6 or 7 years at three different colleges, IIRC. He didn't just go directly from high school HC to college HC.

Malzahn went from HS coach to college QB coach, then to OC, then to HC. The process took him about 6 or 7 years at three different colleges, IIRC. He didn't just go directly from high school HC to college HC.
I'm aware of that but I wouldn't say the guy would fail just because he's skipping some steps. Plus, I know nothing about his background, I'd guess they do. Briles kinda went the same route as Malzhan. He was an assistant at TTech before he was head coach anywhere besides hs.

No problem hiring a hs coach as an assistant, it's just a big damn jump to go to college HC. There's so much more involved, and they could be a football genius and still get tied up in all the operational stuff that comes with a college program.

I'm aware of that but I wouldn't say the guy would fail just because he's skipping some steps. Plus, I know nothing about his background, I'd guess they do. Briles kinda went the same route as Malzhan. He was an assistant at TTech before he was head coach anywhere besides hs.

I would definitely say he'd be a failure for skipping those steps. Those are important steps.

I would definitely say he'd be a failure for skipping those steps. Those are important steps.

Yup. Its been a long long times since a HS successfully jumped into D1 and was successful. UNLV has been pretty bad at football for awhile though I have looked. It might be a good move for them in terms of in state players.

Let me first off say that I do not want DL to be our coach.

But I guess an argument could be made for Dave Logan as HC of a CFB team. He seems to just be a figure head and he hires and lets his position coaches and coordinators do their jobs. He works in the media so he probably would have no problem with that job and he recruits. Isn't that what a head coach on the cfb level does?

I'd say it's pretty damn difficult to go from HS straight to FBS. Generally, the ones who have done it successfully have either gone HS - FBS position coach - FBS coordinator - FBS HC, or HS - DII / DIII - FCS - FBS.

You may occasionally see someone skip a step, or skip between the routes (IIRC GB went HS HC - DII HC - FBS coordinator - FBS HC), but I'm not sure of any that have successfully skipped all of then.

Let me first off say that I do not want DL to be our coach.

But I guess an argument could be made for Dave Logan as HC of a CFB team. He seems to just be a figure head and he hires and lets his position coaches and coordinators do their jobs. He works in the media so he probably would have no problem with that job and he recruits. Isn't that what a head coach on the cfb level does?

For argument's sake--if we're talking about the jump to FBS from HS, sure coaching is coaching, but the jump in scale is the problem. You're going from recruiting a local metro area to basically managing a regional if not national sales team. All in all, more variables to manage, less margin for error, and greater competition. If we talk about predicting the risk with a coaching hire, hiring a guy straight from HS would be a huge one, and needless considering all the more experienced coaches out there.

For argument's sake--if we're talking about the jump to FBS from HS, sure coaching is coaching, but the jump in scale is the problem. You're going from recruiting a local metro area to basically managing a regional if not national sales team. All in all, more variables to manage, less margin for error, and greater competition. If we talk about predicting the risk with a coaching hire, hiring a guy straight from HS would be a huge one, and needless considering all the more experienced coaches out there.

Huge risk for sure.

I was more or less just saying that Logan has basically ran a college system at A-West, Mullen, Wheat Ridge, and Cherry Creek. A very scaled down version but I could see him being successful if he hired the right people.

I don't want that risk to be one CU takes though. Maybe CSU would be perfect.

Yup. Its been a long long times since a HS successfully jumped into D1 and was successful. UNLV has been pretty bad at football for awhile though I have looked. It might be a good move for them in terms of in state players.

I can only think of 1, maybe 2, who have made the big jump. Faust with the dolden gomers - we all know how that turned out. I believe there was one other but I can't recall who it was.

I can only think of 1, maybe 2, who have made the big jump. Faust with the dolden gomers - we all know how that turned out. I believe there was one other but I can't recall who it was.

I said a long time because I think you have to go back before Faust to find a HS coach that jumped and was successful. This is an unusual decision by UNLV.

Word is that Sanchez has close ties to big donors willing to fund UNLV facility improvements (UFC guys iirc)

Huge risk for sure.

I was more or less just saying that Logan has basically ran a college system at A-West, Mullen, Wheat Ridge, and Cherry Creek. A very scaled down version but I could see him being successful if he hired the right people.

I don't want that risk to be one CU takes though. Maybe CSU would be perfect.

Chatfield is the fourth school where Logan won a state championship. Lendale White was on that team. Logan went to Wheat Ridge, but never coached there.

Chatfield is the fourth school where Logan won a state championship. Lendale White was on that team. Logan went to Wheat Ridge, but never coached there.

My mistake. I forgot he coached at Chatfield. I really hate that school from my times playing football.

Also, thanks for not yelling at me.

Back